10. Don't Cry for Me Argentina

11. Frozen

12. Ray of Light

13. The Power of Goodbye

14. Nothing Really Matters

15. Beautiful Stranger

16. American Pie

17. -NEW SONG-

@@James19709 So you completely butchered the "Music" era, huh?  :thinker:  :smile:

1. Erotica [Radio Edit]2. Deeper And Deeper [7" Edit]3. Bad Girl [Radio Edit]4. Fever [Edit One]5. Rain [Video Edit]6. This Used To Be My Playground [barcelona Gold Edit]7. Secret [Radio Edit]8. Take A Bow9. Bedtime Story [Album Edit]10. Human Nature [Video Edit]11. You Must Love Me [single Version]12. Frozen [Radio Edit]13. Ray Of Light [Radio Edit]14. The Power Of Goodbye15. Nothing Really Matters 16. Music 17. Don't Tell Me [Radio Edit]18. What It Feels Like For A Girl [Above & Beyond Radio Edit]GHV2 Remixed:1. Erotica (William Orbit 12" Mix)2. Deeper And Deeper (Shep's Classic 12" Mix)3. Fever (Murk Boys Deep South Mix)4. Secret (Junior's Sound Factory Mix)5. Take A Bow (Indasoul Mix)6. Bedtime Story (Junior's Sound Factory Mix)7. Human Nature (Howie Tee Remix)8. Frozen (Stereo MC's Mix)9. Ray Of Light (William Orbit Liquid Mix)10. The Power Of Goodbye (Dallas Low End Mix)11. Nothing Really Matters (Club 69 Radio Mix)12. Music (Calderone Anthem Mix)13. Don't Tell Me (Thunderpuss Hands In The Air Anthem Mix)14. What It Feels Like For A Girl (Paul Oakenfold Perfecto Remix)

@@Katungeh 'This Used to Be My Playground' actually preceded "Erotica", so it should be the opener on your album.

@@James19709 So you completely butchered the "Music" era, huh?  :thinker:  :smile:

No! Mine was set in 2000, as TIC was 1990. I know M's came out later on to concide with Drowned World Tour DVD but I wanted more of her 90s hits in there, and then honestly.. If there was a Vol. III there's a bigger chance of filling it properly with 17 tracks if it begins from the Music era. That's probably the real reason we have Celebration instead of Vol. III. So yeah, that's why it ends with "Beautiful Stranger" (1999) and "American Pie" (early 2000). If it was real I'd say it would be released in June-July 2000, then Music came out in September. I'd probably just make "Time Stood Still" the "new" song.

No! Mine was set in 2000, as TIC was 1990. I know M's came out later on to concide with Drowned World Tour DVD but I wanted more of her 90s hits in there, and then honestly.. If there was a Vol. III there's a bigger chance of filling it properly with 17 tracks if it begins from the Music era. That's probably the real reason we have Celebration instead of Vol. III. So yeah, that's why it ends with "Beautiful Stranger" (1999) and "American Pie" (early 2000). If it was real I'd say it would be released in June-July 2000, then Music came out in September. I'd probably just make "Time Stood Still" the "new" song.

Wisdom!

1. This Used to Be My Playground

2. Erotica

3. Deeper and Deeper

4. Rain

5. I'll Remember

6. Secret

7. Take a Bow

8. You'll See

9. You Must Love Me

10. Don't Cry for Me Argentina

11. Frozen

12. Ray of Light

13. The Power of Good-Bye

14. Beautiful Stranger

15. American Pie

16. Music

17. Don't Tell Me

18. New Song

19. New Song

This would have been the obvious sequel to The Immaculate Collection but I think there were several reasons why they did not opt with this:

- This Used To Be My Playground is not a good opening song, too slow and nostalgic for an artist who had just scored one of her biggest dance hits

- 8 out of 10 slow songs in a row, would have felt like an abridged version of Something To Remember

- Human Nature, Drowned World/Substitute For Love, What It Feels Like For A Girl missing even though all 3 of them were important elements of her current tour

- 3 songs from Erotica, same amount as Ray Of Light and more than Bedtime Stories & Music even though it was her lowest selling album at the time

Basically they wanted to avoid all of those reasons so what we ended up with was a logical decision. Lack of new recordings ignored, American Pie was the only missing element but it was included on most editions of Music, something not part of Madonna's vision so she got her way (it's also just a cover song, no royalties for her). They could have used remixes of Don't Cry For Me Argentina & What It Feels Like For A Girl but maybe they would sound dated now.

They also dropped this sequencing, which would have been just to highlight her return to dance music at the time and the slow songs at the end would have bogged down the set:

ghv2_test_500.jpg

http://www.madonnatribe.com/decade/2013/ghv20-2/

I thought the track listing for most of the part was pretty decent ? all that was missing was 2 or maybe 1 new song ? As much as i love Human nature and Bedtime Story(The videos even more) they werent very commercially successful - the decade for which this release spanned had some very hit and miss periods anyway with the Erotica & Bedtime Story albums so it was always going to be a tricky release to pick the "Right" songs whereas the IC was a no-brainer and suffered the opposite - there were too many good songs to choose that were left off ? WTG, True Blue, Dress You Up, Everybody - if anything it could have been a double album ?

• 6 months later...

Thats what I would say aswell. Post-Bedtime Story began this overwhelming shift in sounds from album to album. From Madonna to Bedtime Story or maybe just Erotica, there was this sleek evolving of her vocals and the sound was never so abruptly different from the last. Immaculate worked very well. But there is a very stark difference between Erotica's sound and that of Ray of Light or Music. 

• 2 years later...

Small changes that made my GHV2 better.

I was also not happy with the ’GHV2:Greatest Hits Volume 2’ when it arrived in 2001. I was 15 when I first heard of Madonna (a bit late to the party I know) & loved 'Frozen' which lead me to have a listen to one of my Mum's CD's (Can you imagine such a thing!!!!?)… Madonna’s 'Music' Album from 2000.

I could not get the 'Music’ Album out of my head it was so good. So good I sat up all night & educated myself with VH1's Madonna's Top 40. I was not so crazy on the 80's stuff (this opinion has changed since) but it was the 'Rain/I'll Remember' work that was beginning to sound more and more like the Artist from the 'Music' Album.

Towards the end of the Countdown there was the 5 videos from the 'Ray of Light' which lead me to finally by my first Madonna Purchase… the 'Ray of Light' album.... life changed...!

Not long after the ‘Drowned World Tour’ was shown on TV & it just seemed Madonna was everywhere!! Over the course of 2001 I Built up My Madonna Collection till there was no more Albums to get, then shortly afterwards GHV2 was announced.

Just like the 80's Material, 17-year-old me found the Albums 'Erotica' & 'Bedtime Stories' to be boring & Dated and I had a real urge to hear new material. As GHV2 was mainly a re-hash of a lot of material I had already got that year I was both exited at the prospect of a new collection, a squeal to 'Immaculate', and disappointed at the Track list.

In the coming weeks I had convinced myself that the Tracks on GHV2 may be slightly mixed (like Immaculate) even though the version's being used were clearly advertised.

Christmas Day 2001 & I loved the Album Art more than the Album itself. Do not get me wrong I listened to it everywhere I went but I did think as much as I was not a massive fan of it, the ‘Erotica’ album should have been represented with more than just 2 songs...

I understood Why they did not want 'Erotica' to be the opener.

I understood why ‘Human Nature’ was censored.

I even understood that the track listing was an inaccurate re-creation of each Era like sections of her Tour (leading up to the finale 'Music')

I think from that perspective the Album would have taken too long to get going if it were in chronologic Order.

I just felt it was almost perfect but there were one or two elements missing and with a little balance & confidence in the earlier parts of the decade we could have had a really great collection that would hold up next to ‘The Immaculate Collection’.

'The Immaculate Collection' (Which after being disappointed with the early 90's I was beginning to fall in love with from 'Express Yourself' onwards... 'Rescue Me' being my favourite) was simple enough, 3 Hit Singles from 4 Hit albums, 2 Movie Soundtrack's (never released on a Madonna Album before) & 2 Brand New Songs, all exclusively Mixed (Including 2 of the big hits, 'Like A Prayer' & 'Express Yourself' being replaced by their  successful Remix's) in chronologic order, the perfect recipe.

So, I decided to FIX GHV2 for myself...

Firstly 'Rain' was my favourite single from the 'Erotica' Era and in the UK, it charted higher than ‘Drowned World/Substitute for Love’ therefor I guessed it deserved a place on the Album. I found the Album Version to go on too long & much preferred the Video Version.

I remember purchasing the 'Fever' Maxi Disc just to get the 'Video Edit' of ‘Rain’ for my collection and for me, if it had been put on GHV2 that would have been one of those rare versions Exclusive to this collection…

Adding one extra track would push the collection up to 17 Tracks (Matching IC).

I also wanted to have some decent remixes in the collection and so was thinking the next track added should be the 'Edit One' Mix of ‘Fever’.

However I still felt I wanted to change things up very subtly, and so using the scratching at the beginning and end of 'Erotica'... 'Deeper & Deeper', 'Erotica' &  (using a shortened down edit of) 'Bad Girl' would work as one continues mix.

Madonna like’s a journey & ‘Bad Girl’ contrasts with where the album is heading to... ‘Ray of light’. So I felt it fitted in with an overall Album theme of her Return to form & Recent success’.

With 'Rain' [Video Edit] rounding off the Erotica Era we would continue with 'Human Nature' but using an Uncensored Video Edit, another slight change and exclusive to this collection.

·       The inclusion of the uncensored lyrics on ‘Human Nature’ would incur a Parental Advisory Warning on the cover art however this is a collection of Madonna’s greatest works from 1992-2001 & most of Madonna’s greatest works have always had controversy.

Following on from Secret I decided 'Don’t Cry for Me...' would have to be replaced with the 'Miami Mix Edit'. The OG Version was so Jarring on the official track list... it kind of took you out of it, the remix however was a big hit!

The Miami Mix of 'Argentina' had more radio play in the UK than the OG & was also the 'go to' Madonna Dance Track in the UK Gay Scene (Pre-Hung Up of course) ...

I was not sure if replacing the Main Title Track of an album with the remix on a greatest hits album was a form of Sacrilege but 2 of the biggest tracks on IC had been and therefor I was going to do the same with 'Argentina' & 'Bedtime Story'

I am aware putting remixes onto a greatest hits album can 'date' it, but that would happen anyway...

I decided to use the remix of ‘Bedtime story’ used for the 1995 Brit Awards.

At this point the Second Section, The Bedtime Story/Dance Mix Section is finished.

From this point (Track 9) on My Version of the Album carries on pretty much the same swapping 'Take A Bow' for 'You'll See' [Edit] (as it was a Bigger hit in the UK) & replacing 'Ray Of Light' with the 'Video Edit', 'Don’t Tel Me' with the 'Radio Edit' & 'WIFLFAG' with the 'Above & Beyond Radio Edit'.

GHV2 would now have 3 or 4 UK Hit Singles from 4 Hit Albums, 2 Movie Soundtrack's (never released on a Madonna Album before) including some hard to find & exclusively Mixes & Edits (Including 2 of her biggest Dance Hits 'Argentina' (Miami Mix) & 'WIFLFAG' (Above & Beyond Radio Edit) with track list that inaccurately re-creates each Era like sections of her Tours leading up to the finale 'Music' (Her Latest No1 Hit Single)!

I had put this Album together in 2002 and only recently found it again in a box.

I really enjoyed playing it again, deliberately not glancing at the track list and genuinely having a few surprises and really enjoying it.

I even forgot that I mixed the intro of Shep's Classic 12 " of Deeper & Deeper "00:48 - 01:05" with the 7" Edit.

From beginning to end this was FAR more exciting than to lazy collection I received on Christmas 2001.

I was not trying to make a 'My Favourites’ Collection (Apart from ‘You'll See’) I was trying to make an accessible product that would not disappoint.

Cannot please everyone...

PS ‘Erotica’ is now one of my favourite Albums x

imageedit_6_7590176953.jpg

imageedit_1_6624098148.jpg

imageedit_4_8518900325.jpg

01. Deeper & Deeper (Shep's Classic 12" intro mixed into the 7" Edit) (Scratch Effect from Erotica mixed during Outro)*

02 Erotica (Radio Edit) (Scratch Effect from Erotica mixed into the intro of Bad Girl)

03 Bad Girl (Edit)*

• Tracks 1-3 continues mix

04 Rain (Video Edit)*

05 Human Nature (Uncensored Video Edit)*

06 Secret (Edit)

07 Don't Cry For Me Argintina (Miami Mix Edit)

08 Bedtime Story (Junior's Single Mix)

09 The Power Of Good-Bye

10 Beautiful Stranger (William Orbit Radio Edit)

11 Frozen (Edit)

12 You'll See (Edit)

13 Ray Of Light (Video Edit)*

14 Dont Tell Me (Radio Edit)

15 What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Radio Edit)

16 Drowned World/Substitute For Love

17 Music

GHV2 would've been way better... IF IT WAS EDITED LIKE THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION!!

like seriously, why release a compilation album of "Radio Edits" 

here is what i would've done:

after the release of music, she postpones the DWT for a while and works on GHV2, being different from the album versions using Qsound technology ALSO Releasing a non-stop megamix by thunderpuss

here is my initial Tracklist -

GHV2 (Standard Version)

1. Erotica

2. Fever

3. Deeper & Deeper

4. Secret

5. Take A Bow

6. Bedtime Story

7. You'll See

8. Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix)

9. Frozen

10. Ray Of Light

11. The Power Of Goodbye

12. Nothing Really Matters

13. Beautiful Stranger

14. Don't Tell Me

15. What It Feels Like For A Girl

(Deluxe Edition)

16. American Pie

17. Liquid Love  (Single - Unreleased Track)

18. Little Girl (Single - Unreleased Track)

GHV2 - Thunderpuss Megamix

1. Thunderpuss (Long Version Medley)

2. Don't Tell Me

3. Erotica

4. Secret

5. Frozen

6. What It Feels Like For A Girl

7. Take Bow

8. Deeper & Deeper

9. Music

10. Ray Of Light

11. Beautiful Stranger (Bonus Track)

12. Thunderpuss (Radio Edit)

Yeah the lack of new edits made the release a bit pointless because most of us fans had bought the CD singles so already had them in great quality. Immaculate worked so well because it took Madonnas largely releases on vinyl catalogue of the 80’s and presented it all on a compiled CD for the first time. The CD part of immaculate collections legacy is often ignored. It’s such an important part of the story. Vogue was her first Major release on CD. The like a prayer singles were 3” cds or longbox.

Vogue was the true beginning / breakthrough of Madonnas CD single era which gave her new dominance in the 90’s.

as for GHV2 I thought the packaging and design and even the name were brilliant.

The inner notes and track listing were awful.

I understand not using the Something To Remember tracks but not giving us anything new AND not including other stand alone singles or Erotica singles was Madness. Also Don’t Cry For Me doesn’t really fit on there for me at least.

Id probably have gone with

1. Erotica (edit) (or a studio version of the tour version which blended the album version and Orbit remix) 

2. Deeper & Deeper (edit)

3. Fever (edit one)

4. Bad Girl (Unique no Piano bridge edit) 

5. Secret (shorter edit)

6. Bedtime Story (juniors single mix)

7. Human Nature (shorter edit)

8. Frozen (edit)

9. Ray Of Light (edit)

10. Drowned World (radio edit)

11. The Power Of Goodbye (radio edit)

12. Nothing Really Matters ( radio edit) 

13. Beautiful Stranger ( radio edit)

14. American Pie ( radio edit)

15. Music

16. Don’t Tell Me ( new edit)

17. What It Feels Like For A Girl (edit with spoken intro)

18. New track (the Jolene cover rumour would have been brilliant)

Some of her 90’s single edits have way more padding / repeats than her 80’s songs which really were very concise. I think there’s fat to be trimmed from most tracks. 

That list is Comprehensive and doesn’t clash with tracks featured on STR.

This Used To Be

Ill Remember

Rain

Oh Father

One More Chance

Love Dont Live Here Anymore

Take A Bow

all left only to exists only on STR. 

I think it would have been cool to have a simultaneous release with Die Another Day. To this day, it still bugs so much hat there are no new songs on GHV2, so Die Another Day would be the new song. Can you imagine the sales of that? ... I'm aware that most likely it would've been impossible because of MGM and the James Bond Franchise/Deal, and that maybe American Life needed DAD more, but since this is all a fantasy, I don't care :) 

1. Deeper And Deeper
2. Erotica
3. Human Nature
4. Secret
5. Rain
6. Take A Bow
7. You Must Love Me
8. You'll See
9. Frozen
10. Bedtime Story
11. Nothing Really Matters
12. What It Feels Like For A Girl (Video Mix)
13. Beautiful Stranger
14. Don't Tell Me
15. American Pie
16. Ray Of Light
17. Music
18. Die Another Day

I decided to include NRM over TPOG because GOD, it needed another dance song. YMLM instead of DCFMA. Just 3 from STR, because since there is already a ballad compilation, we don't need a huge segments of ballads in this one.

• 9 months later...

So re-reading this thread a few years later, I come to the conclusion that GHV2 should have been a two disc set. Something like Whitney Houtstons Greatest Hits from 2000. One disc with all the ballads, and one disc with the non - ballads. For the heart and for the feet ?. Don't you agree!! Also.... There wouldn't be a STR. 

Challangin isn't it...... 

My "GHV2" track list

1. This used to be my playground

2. Erotica

3. Deeper and Deeper

4. Rain

5. Bad girl

6. Fever

7. I'll remember

8. Secret

9. Bedtime story

10. Human nature