Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere

Bat-Fan

We had the last three tours with the same structure and the same arrangement with a new-found foreign band.

Excuse me? Isaac was not a "new-found foreign band" and he was mostly a backing singer. On S&ST the band was used in two songs which they were following each other so using the Kalakan Trio was not a rehash but actually something that refreshed her renditions.

If you want to talk about structure, then you can say she's been doing the same show for years now, since RIT, lot less stage props than before, mostly dancing or standing in front of big screens in 4 or 5 segments.

I remember so many people were bashing Don't Tell Me on RIT and Ray Of Light on S&ST because they were rehashes of previous performances yet so many people are not bothered about hearing the album versions of Holiday or La Isla Bonita again, nor about Madonna using the same segment types like Kylie used to.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me? Isaac was not a "new-found foreign band" and he was mostly a backing singer. On S&ST the band was used in two songs which they were following each other so using the Kalakan Trio was not a rehash but actually something that refreshed her renditions.

If you want to talk about structure, then you can say she's been doing the same show for years now, since RIT, lot less stage props than before, mostly dancing or standing in front of big screens in 4 or 5 segments.

I remember so many people were bashing Don't Tell Me on RIT and Ray Of Light on S&ST because they were rehashes of previous performances yet so many people are not bothered about hearing the album versions of Holiday or La Isla Bonita again, nor about Madonna using the same segment types like Kylie used to.

Ooooo.

This cats spillin some earl!

Ok there are plenty of things that could be better - as in almost every tour - but when you go to the concert and have the chance to see it live Rebel Heart was MAGIC and a lot more REAL and closer to the public than the previous tours (SST, MDNA) which may have been more well conceived and more rehearsed but were very cold and distant. Madonnna was a human person and not an avatar as previously.

I can't really accept the shit that many throw on WTG: at the time it was really new, because it was a huge rock concert having a strong theatrical side (costumes, dancing, backdrops, scenes like the kiss or the panties) that was innovative in the Eighties and changed the way concert were made, everyone was surprised. Still it had a great band, great arrangement, everything sung live. When I was younger I didn't appreciate all that, I confess, I was in love with BAT which really was the turning point, a totally different kind of spectacle, but I've recently realized how strong the WTG tour. Watch the incredible musical rendtion of Into the groove or the power of Holiday in terms of musicality and public inteaction.

OMG this is so funny.

Like someone said before, each tour M has been on has elements of the former one in it, it is an evolution. Ever since DWT the show's are kind of the same, and have inspired moments as well as, hm, tired ones, and fans all over the world have always been more than happy to point those out.

What I love about RHT is that it focussus on M the performer, so in my opinion the more simplified staging and back drops serve that purpose, together with the inspired costuming (I mean come on, the costumes on MDNA were too simple and stupid, except for the JPG section, and sticky and sweet anyone?) it draws the focus on M's performance, something all the professional reviewers pointed out.

But this is starting to get off topic, so for the DVD, I hope they capture the live feeling, cos that was what RHT was all about, the live experience.Seeing it on youtube before I saw it live didn't do it justice AT ALL, it was all about her live voice, her jokes, her interaction and mostly we say M alone on stage again, which was a thrill!

I am fond of the Rebel Heart's album and tour.

But I think that M isn't. Since in an interview she said she was frustrated during the production (about Diplo's lack of seriousness, and her frustration when recording Iconic, the fact that this theme is not her initiative and she struggled to "keep a cohesive sound and creative direction for the album") so I feel like she just want to "get over" this era (ex: the Rebel Heart Tour). I'm kind of scared that since the MDNA era, each song has so many writers (if you know what I mean). I hope this RH's problem won't happen again.

Btw, I love MDNA tour (not the dvd though :))

Ok there are plenty of things that could be better - as in almost every tour - but when you go to the concert and have the chance to see it live Rebel Heart was MAGIC and a lot more REAL and closer to the public than the previous tours (SST, MDNA) which may have been more well conceived and more rehearsed but were very cold and distant. Madonnna was a human person and not an avatar as previously.

I can't really accept the shit that many throw on WTG: at the time it was really new, because it was a huge rock concert having a strong theatrical side (costumes, dancing, backdrops, scenes like the kiss or the panties) that was innovative in the Eighties and changed the way concert were made, everyone was surprised. Still it had a great band, great arrangement, everything sung live. When I was younger I didn't appreciate all that, I confess, I was in love with BAT which really was the turning point, a totally different kind of spectacle, but I've recently realized how strong the WTG tour. Watch the incredible musical rendtion of Into the groove or the power of Holiday in terms of musicality and public inteaction.

I do agree with both of your points...

and I think that in more open and flexible kind of shows, a little less coreographed and perfection-oriented, her stage presence gets stronger and stronger and I can really feel her carisma and personality. I love the most when she gives them both, vision and spontaneity, and RHT did it.

Some of you guys need to stop being so overly defensive. We all have a right to have expectations and we all allowed to express critique as long as it's constructive (which most of the critique here is).

I think with such a huge catalogue of songs it's hard for Madonna to pick a 100% satisfying setlist. There are really only two ways to go. The dilemma situation of this tour was that the album simply didn't do as well and she was touring places she hasn't been to since the 90's. Still, she would never do less than half of the new record. She could have either done:

- a tour with a maximum of hit singles and a lot of new material (Rebel Heart is a long ass album and unfortunately it didn't do that well, so she had to balance out the new stuff with songs everyone would know).

- Ignore the places she was going to and focus on theatrics and the show's storyline (possibly less hits or heavily remixed to fit in well with the new stuff).

She went for the GH alternative. Is that a reason to be mad? Yes. As I said before, she has a HUGE catalogue of songs, lots of well remembered singles, BUT in recent times she has been ignoring her post Erotica stuff. As an artist who had such a long and fruitful career full of career peaks in almost each decade she SHOULD keep her more current stuff remembered. Right now she is really starting to degrade herself to an 80's artist but she is SO MUCH more than that. Ray of Light was such an impactful and applauded record but she refuses to do songs from it on tour. Bedtime Stories too. American Life, while not as successful could have added so much more meaning to her show. I was missing the political statements.

The intro was pointing towards a very meaningful show and ended up being nothing but a self-parody.

Everybody for example, could have served as a great nostalgic point and be remixed to a bombastic encore. Finishing with her first single, the one that started it all. Instead she went for Holiday. Why? What does Holiday add to the meaning of the concert?

Right now she is really starting to degrade herself to an 80's artist

Says who? You? I TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY disagree with that. It's a complete insult to her to say something like that. If she were degrading herself to an 80s artist, like u say, she would sign up for a Las Vegas 3 years show just singing 80s hits. Just saying. Instead of that, she's touring the whole world at almost 60 and won't stop giving us new music and new records and promoting them on shows, TV or her tours. And thank God for that.

althought this show could have had so many songs, she took the secure way so the casual fans (not any of us) say she's on top again. one of the biggest critiques to the Drowned World show was that she "put too many unknown songs instead of hits", and we love that show, and we think it's one of her more cohesive and coherent spectacles. 

she could have added a single song from each album, like on the Re-Invention tour, even as interludes. 

but i still appreciate the fact M is still touring, and on shape to do that. she showed herself on stage, instead of a character like on her past shows. i deeply appreciate that. 

shall we consider the time they had to build the show? remember they postponed the first concerts because they  were lacking rehearsal time. we should appreciate what they did after all. it's the best they could, and is still by M standards.

well to each their own, but I don't love DWT and I surely don't think it's cohesive (talking about segments that make no sense, performing 60's pshychedelia in an industrial punk segment anyone?) Not saying it to bash anything or anyone, but it's just a bit confusing where all the RH hate comes from.

It seems to me that every recent M project that doesn't fully satisfy tailor made needs reminds people of projects they liked better, but the funny thing is that when DWT came out nobody liked the setlist, then RIT ignored the album and that was bad, then confessions, no confessions people actually liked I suppose, can't see why ;-) then S&S was not theatrical enough and too tacky, then the ultra big MDNA was too big and she was too robotic, I mean come on! In three years when she isn't ignoring the post 80's (apart from human nature, deeper and deeper, voguevoguevogue, secret, don't tell me, music, candy shop????, erotica, drowned world, ray of light, frozen, take a bow, hung up etc.) we will be complaining there arn't enough 80's songs and she shouldn't ignore her roots

Maybe guy should get MadonnaSimms into development so each can truelly have their own ;-) <3

Says who? You? I TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY disagree with that. It's a complete insult to her to say something like that. If she were degrading herself to an 80s artist, like u say, she would sign up for a Las Vegas 3 years show just singing 80s hits. Just saying. Instead of that, she's touring the whole world at almost 60 and won't stop giving us new music and new records and promoting them on shows, TV or her tours. And thank God for that.

She sang mainly 80's hits on this tour. That is my point. I don't care if you disagree but her touring the whole world with mainly 80's songs or her staying in Vegas doing mostly 80's songs is the same. My point still stands.

She sang mainly 80's hits on this tour. That is my point. I don't care if you disagree but her touring the whole world with mainly 80's songs or her staying in Vegas doing mostly 80's songs is the same. My point still stands.

Mainly 80s hits in this tour?

Just:

Burning Up

Vogue

True Blue

Like A Virgin

LIB

DYU

WTG

Material Girl

Holiday

Is that "mainly"? That's not even the half of the show. If u gonna say something, at least try to speak the truth, dude.

You guys are going to extremes. You both are right, yes shes not doing Vegas, but critics are starting to call her a legacy artist due to how the tour was setlist-wise. Of the old songs she did on this tour, they were mainly 80s songs, but half of the show was new material, so there was somewhat a balance, the problem is that there was almost no "in-between" stuff. Thats why for me TOAC was a breath of fresh air because she brought those "in-between" tracks out. The 90s and 00s are very important, for some of us the most important, others prefer the 80s and thats fine too. MDNA Tour was more new school and it had more contemporary music and some didnt like it (including many critics), Rebel Heart Tour was more old school, kinda like the opposite, and some fans love it, others dont, and many critics praised it for Madonna "finally accepting shes a legacy artist", which to me is a backhanded compliment but oh well. I think we all love her, but the problem is these two tours are opposites and we'll have to respect our different tastes. Next tour she might go all newer stuff again, we dont know. Its not the end of the world tbh

Mainly 80s hits in this tour?

Just:

Burning Up

Vogue

True Blue

Like A Virgin

LIB

DYU

WTG

Material Girl

Holiday

Is that "mainly"? That's not even the half of the show. If u gonna say something, at least try to speak the truth, dude.

Vogue is 90s

LIB? Im not connecting that to a name?

Also Love dont live here anymore

Edit NVM La isla Bonita. Lol, im awful

She's never going to please everyone with each tour - i personally don't think she has her fans that much in mind when she puts these together because she knows her hardcore fans will go and see her no matter what(i havent seen the last 2 tours because i cant afford £200 plus another £200 for another ticket because none of my friends like her enough to pay for their own ticket )

from what ive seen and heard of this tour it doesnt really excite me that much - the backdrops for a start werent very inspiring(Apart from Iconic of course) and set list is kind of all over the place too ? I still dont get the need for candy shop too though ? i think that was the biggest error on this tour ? its not even a fan favourite song ? maybe its an easy song for her to perform or she just loves it that much that she has to include it no matter what ?

• madgefan changed the title to Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere
  • madgefan pinned, pinned, pinned and pinned this topic
  • madgefan pinned this topic