Am I the only one that feels Erotica is full of filler?

blohan

Thief Of Hearts and Words, never understood how they came up with those clumsy, noisy tracks. Probably Shep Pettibone's worst production in 20 years. They didn't even sound good back then, totally out of place compared to the dance music trends of the early 90s. Andre Betts tracks are very decent album cuts, they brought something new and smooth to M's sound. Secret Garden has been my favourite on Erotica from day 1. Fever is an excellent take on a song we heard soooooo many times, covered by everyone : it was quite bold and very Madonna to turn a jazz standard into a dark, house track. Check the instrumental if you haven't, it will bring you back to NYC club scene at that time. The single/video version ruined it though. Why's It So Hard was great on The Girlie Show.

^Thief Of Hearts & Words sounded like everything else back then, everyone and their brother did that house sound and Madonna stayed with it for way too long, as it started with the Express Yourself remix with her. I guess she thought Shep Petibone had more in him after that remix, Vogue & Rescue Me...

Maybe I'm the only one here who REALLY likes Words and Thief Of Hearts? LOL I think they're great. I love the sound of her voice a lot on Words. As I've said before I really love this album. It was my fave until I got LAP and now they swap places for first every so often. The version of Erotica I have doesn't have Did You Do It on so for me the album has no fillers (if it had DYDI on THAT would have been filler IMO).

Maybe I'm the only one here who REALLY likes Words and Thief Of Hearts? LOL I think they're great. I love the sound of her voice a lot on Words.As I've said before I really love this album. It was my fave until I got LAP and now they swap places for first every so often. The version of Erotica I have doesn't have Did You Do It on so for me the album has no fillers (if it had DYDI on THAT would have been filler IMO).

No your not the only one Words is my favourite from Erotica along with Thief Of Hearts.

I'm surprised none of you were aware Blohan (LetThemEatCake) on the IMDB boards is customary to start discussions and then insult people with differing opinions. You should see his behavior on IMDB where he tells people to kill themselves for defending her music, her tour and everything right down to the "imbeciles, fucktards" and other names.No idea where he comes from or what his problem is but this is usual way. He is rude, insulting and a troll in every sense of the world. The funniest thing is where he wrote on a Joan Crawford board claiming he was abused and why the world is an unkind place. I mean, the way you treat and talk to others may be a possible reason and the fact he asks for unreleased material, released material and photos yet has the nerve to insult most fans? Deranged, I think.  :mama004:

Erotica the album being full of fillers? NO, I listened to this album for2 1/2 years straight, This was an album had heartbreak,anger,love & death as well as "SEX"and I thought it was her most daring and artisic album next to Like a Prayer and Ray Of Light and now Rebel Heart album! Bad Girl, Where Life Begins, Waiting and Thief of Hearts and Words, Secret Garden, Fever, Why's it so Hard the entire album is great Did You Do It is Madonna's sense of humor irony. Love the title track! This is a brilliant album!

post-3225-0-85790200-1487743047_thumb.jpg

I love Erotica, don't see much fillers except Did you do it. Other albums are just stories on their own. I wouldn't say fillers but just songs they are not that strong... and everyone is different. Comparing True blue with only 9 songs with her lates Rebel Heart with over 20 songs on it...if she only put like 10 strongest tracks on Rebel Heart - her album would be at nr1...or not :D

• 1 year later...

As a latecomer, I may relight this thread!  :smile:

By the way I gotta say that how can True Blue, with only 8 songs, that would be considered as an EP if it was released today, have fillers? i mean, with only 8 songs you don't need fillers... and I'm not saying that I like Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes The World Go Round....

Actually it had 9 songs on it. Only the debut album had 8 songs. I think it was a normal thing in the '80s to have an LP with 8 songs. Now even 10 is few! @@kurushitovska

See I would say HC, MDNA and even RH are full of filler. They all seem like a collection of songs with no real structure. Erotica is an album. Raw, dark, cynical, heartbroken. up to Confessions Madonna inadvertently made trilogies.

Madonna, Like a Virgin, True Blue - Hopeless Romantic, fun, cheesy, happy

Like a Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories - Cynical, hurt, Heartbroken, sexual, angry, hopeful, longing

Ray of Light, Music, American Life - Reflective, new found wisdom, born again, happy, discovering herself

I digress. The only filler on Erotica is Fever and it is no surprise it was a last minute addition, I guess also Did you Do It?. TUTBMP is a nice ballad but has no depth like In this Life which is Madonna's pain and heartbreak laid out for everyone to see and Why's it so Hard is her anger. Maybe Shep's production was often repetitive in moments, but Erotica has some of the best lyrics on any Madonna album. She really dug deep.

How about "Confessions on a Dance Floor"-"Hard Candy" & "MDNA"-"Rebel Heart" duos then? I don't think those fit together to make a trio.

I think the first one is the wise dance diva whereas the second one is the angry single mom who calms down afterwards and lick her wounds. @@me1981

About "Erotica" being full of fillers, well it's not one of my favorite Madonna albums, but I wouldn't say the album tracks are "fillers". Actually I think she never had fillers in her albums between "Like a Prayer" (and even "True Blue") and "Hard Candy". Every album track was decent enough on its own, in my taste at least. Some albums had their weak moments, but they were never dull like 'B-Day Song' or 'Superstar'.

I love the innovative '90s house sound and daring, dark subject matters of "Erotica". It is a coherent and complete album. The only song I really dislike is 'Where Love Begins' as the idea of "eating out" really grosses me out, but even that song has a nice jazzy production that perfectly fits the album. I don't care for the title track and 'Did You Do It?' either, but they are not bad songs at all.

And I will always regret that 'Waiting'-'Thief of Hearts'-'Words' trio as well as 'Bad Girl' were excluded from The Girlie Show.

Erotica and Bedtime Stories and American Life are where I find the repetitive sounds that, in my opinion, make parts of the album seem like filler. There are songs on all three that I couldn't differentiate from the other. For example, Hold Tight and Inside Out are like reductive counterparts. Unless you've listened enough, you'd find synonymous of eachother (Love Hold Tight btw). I love American Life fully and love the selected singles from the other two albums, but there are a lot of blind spots in all three in which I can't quite remember the songs or lyrics. MDNA and Hard Candy approach this feeling but to me the songs differ just enough. An album ought to have a certain sound or production, but that sound or production should also be varied and experimented with.

How about "Confessions on a Dance Floor"-"Hard Candy" & "MDNA"-"Rebel Heart" duos then? I don't think those fit together to make a trio.

I think the first one is the wise dance diva whereas the second one is the angry single mom who calms down afterwards and lick her wounds. @@me1981

See I find Rebel Heart stands alone right now until the next album. Ray of Light to American are an epoch of self awareness and blossoming love. Hard Candy and MDNA cover the suspicions and outright anger of being cheated on and divorce. Confessions is one that I find hard to group. It does introduce the first heartbreak songs (Hung Up and Sorry) since Ray of Light, but they aren't geared towards Guy Ritchie.

See I find Rebel Heart stands alone right now until the next album. Ray of Light to American are an epoch of self awareness and blossoming love. Hard Candy and MDNA cover the suspicions and outright anger of being cheated on and divorce. Confessions is one that I find hard to group. It does introduce the first heartbreak songs (Hung Up and Sorry) since Ray of Light, but they aren't geared towards Guy Ritchie.

I see 'Hung Up' more like a happy infatuation song whereas 'Sorry' is more of rage. I think "Confessions on a Dance Floor" is a no-drama, feel-good album with a few serious moments. Where things started to go sour might be "Hard Candy" with 'Miles Away' and 'Devil Wouldn't Recognize You'. @@gafuller 

For me, I've said this before, when I put on Erotica to listen to it in full, I just imagine Ditah on stage in a small venue similar to Open Your Heart and there is crowd banter and it's a burlesque show. It might have filler but the filler has it's purpose

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Erotica has no filler. Almost all Madonna albums have no typical filler songs cause there were so many songs which were scrapped from almost every era that you can see Madonna always had a clear vision what to put on the record and what not. She was never in need of filler songs.