Girlie Show Questions

null

• 3 weeks later...

I've always thought it was just a matter of temperature. She wore the short shorts in places like Latinamerica, Australia and Japan, especially the first two regions since it was spring/summer during her visit in late 1993.

Look, this is even rarer, she wore the same pants as Nicky and Donna.

Posted Image

I don't know the location though. Any insights? Anyone? :tongue:

This looks like a dress rehearsal. To add more craziness to the mix. In the Argentinian and Brazilian shows she wears short shorts but they are made from the same material as the flares, a kinda of velvet type fabric not sequins. Then she went back to flares for Mexico I think before ditching them entirely for the Australia/Japan legs of the tour.

Posted Image

May I jump in on the topic?  :hyper:

Is there a reason the Kool & the Gang's Celebration "Yahoo" was cut for the DVD? You can hear them really low played on the background but I wonder why they felt the need to do that  :confused:

Or why the Stardust sample during Holiday was altered for the DVD of Drowned World Tour

• 4 months later...

May I jump in on the topic?  :hyper:

Is there a reason the Kool & the Gang's Celebration "Yahoo" was cut for the DVD? You can hear them really low played on the background but I wonder why they felt the need to do that  :confused:

Where is that sample in the show?

As for costumes, didn't she use sunglasses during Justify My Love at first, then switched to the eyepatch?

May I ask another Girlie Show question?

During Everybody she screams Luca Tomassini's name, was it a joke that he was always coming late? Was it from the start of the tour?

The "Luca!!!" thing is from show 1, as you can hear it in the soundboard from London. He appears after because is changing clown costume.

Love this topic! I was obsessed with this tour back then!She used the long pants in Puerto Rico for the last time, next show in Buenos Aires she used super tight velvet hot pants, it looked like they cut the long ones, she wore the same ones in Brazil, started using the sequened ones in Australia.South America went nuts over her, in Brazil she played a couple of shows to more than 100,000 people!Two fans managed to take the stage, one got to her, almost killed her, never seen that happen at any other Madonna concert, she must've been terrifiedhttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz_tDQlNDm4http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UwH1sUGMF4ELike someone said, she started the tour wearing sunglasses in Justify My Love, later ditched them for an eye patch wich looked so much cooler!In the beginning of the tour she wore a really small white tanktop in Everybody, she began using sports shirts i believe in Philadelphia, wore a big mexican hat in Mexico, and by the time she reached Argentina&Brazil she wore the national soccer shirts, just like she did in Aistralia.For Japan she switched it to a very tight top with short sleeves, and she changed her hair, all up, like an updated look of some of her looks from 86-87!

I've noticed that on the DVD they edited every sample used in the concert... Maybe there were legal issues? The one on Express Yourself is barely noticeable on the DVD and the Circus intro is different too.

I hear the sample on the dvd but it's true that the audio on the dvd was different than on the HBO broadcast, it's most noticeable when she starts singing Vogue, on the dvd you can clearly hear her live voice for a few lines, is the Celebration sample credited on the dvd? The whole dvd sounds different than the hbo broadcast, so i don't think this was to avoid paying royalties, besides the sample is still there...With the DWT i remember reading something about the sample being removed from the dvd, maybe they didn't want to pay, maybe they didn't get permission to use it on the dvd, considering she had used samples or sang other's peoples songs on every single tour before(Billie Jean, Cant help myself, Family Affair, Singing in the rain), why would it be an issue to pay on the DWT?Just my two centsAlso, they released a Holiday video to promote the dvd using shots from the whole show, it was played quite a lot back then and you can hear the sample loud and clear, so who knows what happenedSample kicks in at 2:17

I hear the sample on the dvd but it's true that the audio on the dvd was different than on the HBO broadcast, it's most noticeable when she starts singing Vogue, on the dvd you can clearly hear her live voice for a few lines, is the Celebration sample credited on the dvd?The whole dvd sounds different than the hbo broadcast, so i don't think this was to avoid paying royalties, besides the sample is still there...With the DWT i remember reading something about the sample being removed from the dvd, maybe they didn't want to pay, maybe they didn't get permission to use it on the dvd, considering she had used samples or sang other's peoples songs on every single tour before(Billie Jean, Cant help myself, Family Affair, Singing in the rain), why would it be an issue to pay on the DWT?Just my two centsAlso, they released a Holiday video to promote the dvd using shots from the whole show, it was played quite a lot back then and you can hear the sample loud and clear, so who knows what happened

The ones you mention were not samples but actual live covers. Same goes for Born this way and that's the reason it wasn't even included on the MDNA World Tour video/cd credits. Smart bitch she is! By the way, I don't recall any Kool and the Gang samples credits on the Girlie Show DVD (woo-hoo! during EY) but there were mentions of the Calliope circus thing and the ones played during the extended outro of Everybody  :silly:

• 3 weeks later...

The other change no one has mentioned is the orgy. Up until South America the orgy had no sample or cover. Then she started singing Donna Summer's "Love to love you Baby" She definitely performed this in Mexico and Rio.

When she got to Australia it was changed, but was it changed to anything? It isn't Love to Love you, as I know that song well and those lyrics and that music is nowhere near close to that song. Did she and the band just make something up? I even googled the lyrics she sings and it doesn't come up with anything. So maybe to avoid more possible fees she and the band made up their own composition.

Side Note: The 5.1 audio for the DVD is horrendous. The audience, especially sounds so fake in that mix compared to the original broadcasts and VHS release.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • madgefan changed the title to Girlie Show Questions
  • madgefan pinned, pinned and unpinned this topic