Let's play.... I'm suprised Madonna hasn't...

Tell us something that surprises you that Madonna hasn't done...

For me,  I'm surprised Madonna hasn't made more cinematic music videos. I thought for sure with her interest in films and acting, she surely would have done more videos like:

I would have loved seeing her doing more videos in this way, where she plays a character in a mini story.

Your turn...

Well her interest in acting died down with the movie flops and bad reviews...

But her last really cinematic video for me was WIFLFAG.

I guess they sort of tried to do something with Turn Up The Radio but I dislike the end result, its just messy and unfinished. Thanks Tom Munro! 

Gang Bang deserved a cinematic video, and even Masterpiece.  :confused:

I guess they sort of tried to do something with Turn Up The Radio but I dislike the end result, its just messy and unfinished. Thanks Tom Munro! 

Can't agree with you more.

I am surprised Madonna gave up on acting.

Well her interest in acting died down with the movie flops and bad reviews...

But her last really cinematic video for me was WIFLFAG.

Oh yes, I almost forgot about WIFLFAG. I do understand in the 80's and early 90's, why she didn't since Michael Jackson and kid sister Janet seemed to be producing those types of videos. I suspect since she was acting in a number of movies at the time, she decided to keep them a bit more separate.

And yes, GANG BANG would have have been epic. I guess she had thoughts about doing one for the song, and probably would have if Quenton Taurentino took up her request to direct. She seemed to implement her idea on tour in the end.

Oh yes, I almost forgot about WIFLFAG. I do understand in the 80's and early 90's, why she didn't since Michael Jackson and kid sister Janet seemed to be producing those types of videos. I suspect since she was acting in a number of movies at the time, she decided to keep them a bit more separate.

And yes, GANG BANG would have have been epic. I guess she had thoughts about doing one for the song, and probably would have if Quenton Taurentino took up her request to direct. She seemed to implement her idea on tour in the end.

yes Quentin said he won't direct music videos he doesn't like it, he's only in it for the movies.

I think it's also the fact Madonna has very little interest in music videos, she doesn't spend time on them, it's just quickies, you get her for a number of hours in a set and that's it lol.

GMAYL was great though. I love the vid.

Can't agree with you more.

I am surprised Madonna gave up on acting.

Not sure she really had much of a choice. Her reputation as an actress wasn't good, so people weren't necessarily knockng at her door with scripts. I will say this though, I always thought "directing" would be a perfect fit for her since she does have a visionary eye. I still haven't seen W.E. simply because I know the subject matter would bore me, but from what I've seen from clips, it looks like a beautiful film.

I still have this hope that Madonna would take on some dramatic older role, where she isn't glamorous at all. Something really gritty and possibly starring a couple other heavy weights that would surely draw people in to watch it.

yes Quentin said he won't direct music videos he doesn't like it, he's only in it for the movies.

I think it's also the fact Madonna has very little interest in music videos, she doesn't spend time on them, it's just quickies, you get her for a number of hours in a set and that's it lol.

GMAYL was great though. I love the vid.

Not sure I totally agree there. Maybe more now than in the past, but I've always thought she felt making videos were an important part of her music career. She seemed to expressed that in various interviews throughout her carer. She defended the artform (early in her career) in '84 at the New Music Seminar (about 25 seconds in):

Not only that, especially in the late 80's and part of the 90's a new Madonna video was an event. "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself" and "Vogue" were three videos that I recall at the time had teasers that led up to a big premiere.

I still have this hope that Madonna would take on some dramatic older role, where she isn't glamorous at all. Something really gritty and possibly starring a couple other heavy weights that would surely draw people in to watch it.

I would love to see that.

Would've loved to see more cameos from her.

W.E was beautifully filmed but...it bored me to death.

Hoping for the future.

yes, I meant recently. Of course she used to be a pioneer of music videos, sadly not so much now.  :confused:

Well, I always thought it had more to do with the fact it costs a lot of money, and the artform has died somewhat. A video used to be a huge promotional tool for her. In fact, I chuckle at fans who make a big deal about how she needs to do more promo tours and interviews and performances on TV, when early in her career, she did very little of that.  Her music videos played a huge role in her earlier music. When the RAY OF LIGHT album came along, that changed somewhat. And she didn't start doing extensive promo tours until MUSIC was released. The times were changing and she knew that she couldn't bank on her videos selling her music. Still, I do think even more recently I feel she put a lot of effort and time in her videos. The three videos from MDNA seem to capture that same drive and effort she put in her videos early on. I also felt the same with the videos with Confessions On a Dancefloor.

Great post!! I agree with everything everyone has written so far. Things I'm surprised she hasn't done is changed her hair color again. For the most part, she has just sticked to being a blonde for a long time. I'm also surprised she hasn't acted in another movie again...though I don't blame her either. She's better at directing than acting. 

Yes, the effort I guess was there for the MDNA videos, but I think only GMAYL came out 100% perfect.

GGW had a lot of great imagery but the editing doesn't work in its favour in my opinion. It goes so fast it's almost like a slideshow.

I don't think music videos have died down, ovbiously MTV died decades ago lol, I think that's what her generation of artists thought around the mid 00s, that the art form was dead, but then the new generation came along and it became an internet event. Lana wouldn't have been quite as succesful without her cinematic videos. 

If she can capture the internet's attention with a truly mind blowing video, then it'd be a huge asset for the music in my opinion, but if you don't go all out, then only the core fanbase pays attention.

Gang Bang was a missed opportunity.

Great post!! I agree with everything everyone has written so far. Things I'm surprised she hasn't done is changed her hair color again. For the most part, she has just sticked to being a blonde for a long time. I'm also surprised she hasn't acted in another movie again...though I don't blame her either. She's better at directing than acting. 

Directing was a dream of hers for decades and I'm glad she went for it.

I think W.E. is a beautifully shot film, and highly conceptual, sadly it was mismarketed as some sort of biopic, and judged on those terms it's kind of a gimmicky mess. But it's not a biopic.

The movie is somewhat flawed, it should've been shorter but overall, it's a strong effort.

Well, I really feel that she was shooting for an Oscar and that's why she took on W.E.  Not to say, she wasn't into the subject matter since she's an avid reader and tends to be a history buff of some sort. If she could direct a more broader film that would interest the massives rather going for artsy fartsy films, I think in general people could enjoy what she directs. She's too caught up in trying to prove she has a place cemented in the film business. She seems to be wanting to pander to the "high society" crowd which surprises me since her music and persona has been quite the opposite.  

Well, I really feel that she was shooting for an Oscar and that's why she took on W.E.  Not to say, she wasn't into the subject matter since she's an avid reader and tends to be a history buff of some sort. If she could direct a more broader film that would interest the massives rather going for artsy fartsy films, I think in general people could enjoy what she directs. She's too caught up in trying to prove she has a place cemented in the film business. She seems to be wanting to pander to the "high society" crowd which surprises me since her music and persona has been quite the opposite.  

you haven't even seen the movie.  :Madonna038:

but anyways, I feel like anyone can relate to W.E. its a movie about celebrity worshipping and romance. Doesn't get much broader than that! but sadly it was completely mismarketed.

I think she wants to do great sophisticated art, for the masses, that's kind of always been her approach to her music and everything else. well except the movies she acted in, some of those scrips were shit for the most part.  :Madonna032:

She made a brief mention in an interview some time after Erotica or maybe Bedtime Stories, can't remember exactly when, she was interested in doing an "intimate Acoustic set".  I think she was speaking of an album as well.  Maybe one day? I would love for her to sit down and do acoustic arrangements of some of her most popular songs.

I'm surprised she hasn't done a smaller acoustic tour either. I'd love to see a small tour of theatres vs. arenas and stadiums. She could charge through the roof for those tickets and make a fortune. I think she'd get bored after a while of that though. After 30 years of dancing through concerts, I think just standing there for two hours would put her to sleep.

But she doesn't have to be standing or sitting there. She could still make it theatrical to some point.  I personally think it would work for a television event where she does a one off concert rather take it on the road. She could release a DVD of it shortly after and the whole world could see it.

She made a brief mention in an interview some time after Erotica or maybe Bedtime Stories, can't remember exactly when, she was interested in doing an "intimate Acoustic set".  I think she was speaking of an album as well.  Maybe one day? I would love for her to sit down and do acoustic arrangements of some of her most popular songs.

she's probably saving all this for later in life