Can we make our own Celebration?

Jorick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just release a set with every single release ever. 4 or 5 discs. I know I'd be in heaven. No matter how successful the single release was. Now that is a definitive collection

And that's fine and dandy for a future release, but Celebration was never meant for that. I'm makin my own Veni Vidi Vici collection with the majority of her singles if not all, but it's a tall order when the first half of the 90s was an explosion of singles, lol

@gafuller

Curious for your Veni, Vidi, Vici Collection tracklist!!

Ooof! Lol, the only track list that I'm satisfied with on VVV is disk four. It starts with confessions (the singles mixed for a disco ride) and then ending with Rebel Heart.... With some quiet before Holiday kicks in to finish off the whole shabang. Where I'm hung up (lol) at is disk 2 with the early nineties. It gets so clustered that it ruins my original plans to have Like a Prayer through Bedtime Story on it.

The bass? Listening to it in the car this week and Celebration ain't got enough bass! Lol

It's so amped up but the awful edits are the worst culpit - go and listen to say and tell me that is not butchered. Most of the stuff that was on TIC remain those edits but the later stuff, yikes.

https://requiem4adream.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/celebration-a-retardation/

It's so amped up but the awful edits are the worst culpit - go and listen to say and tell me that is not butchered. Most of the stuff that was on TIC remain those edits but the later stuff, yikes.

https://requiem4adream.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/celebration-a-retardation/

Love that article, been using it to navigate what was worth reusing for future stuff.

It makes me wonder who exactly edited these new versions, was it intentional or just a cut and paste quick job? was there a main producer of this?

It pretty much comes down to the fact that Warner was done with her and she was done with them. Why put much more energy into something than necessary. Which is why I think trying to edit the songs to get them a new flavor was perhaps not given much time a day. They probably hoped it would t be scrutinized by anyone... Well that didn't happen obviously. For me it helped not having to take some of her older stuff and do full out face lifts. But Dress You Up has bothered me ever since I found out they cut the beginning just slightly.

@gafuller

Curious for your Veni, Vidi, Vici Collection tracklist!!

So I'll go ahead and tell you a portion of my track list!

Disk Four: Confessions Era-Rebel Heart Era

1. Jump (Radio Edit) 
  2. Get Together (Radio Edit)
  3. Sorry (Radio Edit)
  4. Hung Up (Radio Edit US)
  5. 4 Minutes (radio Edit)
  6. Miles Away (Radio Edit)
  7. Give It 2 Me (Edit)
  8. Celebration (Benassi Remix)
  9. Revolver (David Guetta Remix)
  10. Girl Gone Wild (Album)
  11. Turn Up The Radio (Album w/MDNA Intro)
  12. Give Me All Your Luvin' (Album Clean)
  13. Masterpiece (Album)
  14. Living For Love (Album or Grammy's Version)
  15. Ghosttown (Album)
  16. B*tch I'm Madonna (Diplo Mix)
  17. Unapologetic B*tch (Album Clean w/ RHT Intro)
  18. Devil Pray (Edit w/ Stronger Drop)
  19. Rebel Heart (Demo 2 Edit)
  20. Holiday (Fare Soldi Remix)

This disk comes out with an 75 minutes of songs... Still room for another song or any dramatics stuff I wanna do. Jump-4 Minutes are mixed enough to allow disco trip! Give It 2 Me-GMAYL are mixed. Living for Love-Unapologetic B*tch are mixed. Between Rebel Heart and Holiday is a pause. Letting Holiday stand in contrast to the speedy transitions of the rest of the songs. Again, Disk 2 is being a pain, but until I start editing individual songs, I won't know the track listing for it or Disk 3. So what do you think so far?

This is better. GHV2 can be forgiven but Celebration went too far over the chronology of her songs. Your tracklist for the imaginary Celebration album is very accurate to how most people want it.

However there are points in which some people prefer the original tracklist. There are some songs that are put side by side in the tracklist that reveals her characteristic and how these concepts and ideas are celebrated in a different way.

For example, you may notice how Erotica and Justify My Love seem to be side by side by each other. This is to show her sexuality and her sensuality in her most intense way possible although there are other songs that gives more and shows more.

Take a Bow and Live to Tell seem to show her sorrowful side, a side which gives her more of a deeper character along the way in her journey.

Dress You Up and Material Girl shows her... let's say "wealthy" side of herself being a young artist that bloomed just as new in 1984. Wealthy in a way that she is full of artistic ideas and creativity.

Music and Vogue shows her dance floor- like character, telling people that whether if you are a boy or a girl, you deserve to have fun and listen to music. This goes the same for Holiday and Everybody.

There are more to give examples. See the tracklist for the Deluxe Edition of Celebration. However, I understand that we need to properly show how Madonna evolved over the course of her career. Arranging them in chronological order really helps the listeners journey from her starting years to her most recent works that still gives people that same great entertainment she gives even before. I just want to defend in the side of the people who made the tracklist for her Celebration album.

I coulden't agree more with you, some real sloppy editing on Celebration. You did a great job with the artwork, keeping the original idea in mind and took it a step further. Well done, it amazes me that fans do a hell of a better job in artwork. There a really some gifted people in and around this forum. I see you took the tracklisting on Celebration also one step further, does the songs flow well??

This is very nice. :3

It pretty much comes down to the fact that Warner was done with her and she was done with them. Why put much more energy into something than necessary. Which is why I think trying to edit the songs to get them a new flavor was perhaps not given much time a day. They probably hoped it would t be scrutinized by anyone... Well that didn't happen obviously. For me it helped not having to take some of her older stuff and do full out face lifts. But Dress You Up has bothered me ever since I found out they cut the beginning just slightly.

But it's just called respect and respect for her catalog, some people will pick this up and think what a display of her career. When it in retrospect they put one some butchered versions and will now be cemented in this collection. I doubt she left on bad terms and even so it's a shitty send off. TIC was done with such care and remains so strong; GHV2 is alright considering it's official edits but it's so forgettable (although I LOVE the addition of the Deeper and Deeper's 7" edit because that is pretty killer). 

Jorick Hello, you're right it's almost impossible to include the successes of 3 decades in a single CD and and two still falls well short collection. Like you I thought the same thing Edition "SUPER DELUXE EDITION" with 3 discs and still be wanting some hit singles. As for durations of CELEBRATION original album, I think sloppy boombox not represent their great eras. So I gave myself the task of editing, in order to create an album with versions agreement in time, not just cut them, if not offer unique versions for this album. I share my Artwork, my tracklist and their durations. This is just my personal opinion, we all have different favorite songs of Madonna, some more successful than others, but after all are successes. Kisses ...

7bb5ad632cae7aa1c3a3480145bc60e4.jpg

MADONNA - CELEBRATION

Super Deluxe Edition

CD 1 - Time: 79:05

1.- Hung Up [Edit] 4:45

2.- Music [Album Version] 3:46

3.- Vogue [Album Version] 4:50

4.- 4 Minutes [Album Version] 4:05

5.- Holiday [7†Version] 4:19

6.- American Life [Edit] 4:33

7.- Like A Virgin [Album Version] 3:40

8.- Into The Groove [Edit] 4:10

9.-Like A Prayer [Album Version] 5:41

10.- Ray Of Light [Album Version] 5:21

11.- Sorry [Edit] 4:15

12.- Express Yourself [7†Remix Edit] 4:23

13.- Papa Don’t Preach [Edit] 3:51

14.- Borderline [Edit] 3:57

15.- Secret [Edit] 4:31

16.- Erotica [Radio Edit] 4:35

17.- Justify My Love [Edit] 4:38

18.- Revolver [Album Version] 3:42

CD 2 – Time 79:00

1.- Deeper And Deeper [7†Edit] 4:46

2.- Material Girl [Album Version] 4:02

3.- La Isla Bonita [Album Version] 4:02

4.- Open Your Heart [Edit] 3:48

5.- Lucky Star [7†Edit] 4:13

6.- Dress You Up [Album Version] 4:02

7.- Crazy For You [Edit] 4:04

8.- Who’s That Girl [Album Version] 3:59

9.- Frozen [Video Edit] 5:12

10.- Miles Away [Edit] 3:45

11.- Take A Bow [Edit] 4:32

12.- Live To Tell [Video Edit] 4:38

13.- Beautiful Stranger [William Orbit Radio Edit] 3:58

14.- Hollywood [Radio Edit] 3:54

15.- Die Another Day [Radio Edit] 3:29

16.- You’ll See [Edit] 4:18

17.- Don’t Tell Me [Radio Edit] 4:10

18.- Cherish [Video Edit] 4:34

19.- Celebration [Album Version] 3:27

CD 3  - Time 79:15

1.- Jump [Edit] 3:43

2.- What It Feels Like For A Girl [Above & Beyond Video Version] 4:20

3.- True Blue [Edit] 3:53

4.- Give It 2 Me [Edit] 4:03

5.- Burning Up [Album Version] 3:44

6.- Human Nature [Video Version] 4:31

7.- Everybody [7†Edit] 4:14

8.- Caussin’ A Commotion [silver Screen Single Remix] 4:06

9.- Fever [Edit One] 4:04

10.- American Pie [Album Version] 4:32

11.- Oh Father [Edit] 4:27

12.- The Power Of Good-Bye [Album Version] 4:10

13.- Rain [Video Edit] 4:33

14.- Drowned World/Substitute For Love [Edit] 4:36

15.- Don’t Cry For Me Argentina [Edit] 4:46

16.- Bedtime Story [Edit] 4:10

17.- This Used To Be My Playground [barcelona Gold Version] 4:43

18.- Nothing Really Matters [Radio Edit] 3:53

19.- It's So Cool [Album Version] 3:28

aa227a768c0a7641eeae909e87fac809.jpg

Would you be able to upload this somewhere? I love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh gosh, this is THE thread I was looking for! (Sorry, I'm a newbie.  :tongue: )

I had already written a review about it on Amazon years ago, and my ideas are still valid.

It's usually impossible to satisfy the real fans of an artist with a compilation album. For my own account, I've never liked a compilation of Madonna. There are always missing important hits, unnecessarily included singles, weird edits etc.. The same problem here.

First of all, who the hell came with the idea of releasing a single disc Madonna compilation? It's horrible! And as far as I see, all the reviews here ignore that one, establishing the double disc one as the essential. Brilliant fan approach.

However, in my opinion even a double disc career-spanning Madonna compilation is not sufficient. How could it be anyway? 34 singles out of more than 70, almost all of them extremely successful, and well recorded. I have no objection to the song order on most of the first disc (I love them shuffled!) and to the songs selected (apart from the terrible 'Everybody', present here probably merely due to being the debut single), but considering tons of missing hits, I believe the double disc edition should have been the regular one whereas the deluxe edition should have consisted of three discs. I made up my own "deluxe" edition and I'd love to share it with you:

CD #1:

1. Hung Up ("Celebration" version)
2. Music
3. Vogue (with "What are you looking at?" at the beginning, but the shorter original version.)
4. 4 Minutes

5. Holiday (Edit) (Closer to 7'' Edit, but with the original intro)
6. Like a Virgin
7. Into the Groove (Original Version)
8. La Isla Bonita
9. Like a Prayer
10. Ray of Light (Radio Edit)
11. Sorry (Single Edit)
12. Express Yourself (Unedited Video Remix)
13. Dress You Up
14. American Life (Radio Edit)
15. Erotica (Radio Edit)
16. Justify My Love
17. Human Nature (Video Version)
18. Revolver

CD #2:

1. Papa Don't Preach
2. Material Girl
3. Lucky Star (Video Edit)
4. Who's That Girl?
5. Burning Up
6. Open Your Heart
7. Crazy for You (Original Version)
8. Bad Girl (Edit)
9. Frozen (Edit with the original long intro)
10. Secret (Edit)
11. Cherish (7'' Edit)
12. I'll Remember
13. Miles Away (Radio Edit)
14. Rain (Video Edit)
15. Take a Bow (Edit)
16. Nothing Fails (Radio Edit) (replaced with 'Love Profusion' on international editions)
17. Don't Tell Me (Radio edit with fading outro)
18. Hollywood
19. It's So Cool

CD #3:

1. Beautiful Stranger (Radio Edit)
2. American Pie
3. Die Another Day (Radio Edit)
4. Jump (Radio Edit)
5. Give It 2 Me (Edit)
6. Deeper and Deeper (7" Edit)
7. Everybody (7'' Edit)
8. True Blue (Video Edit)
9. Borderline (Video Edit)
10. Angel
11. You'll See (Edit)
12. The Power of Good-Bye (Radio Edit)
13. Get Together (Album Edit)
(International editions have 'Fever (Edit One)' between 'Get Together' and 'Dear Jessie', excluding 'Everybody' as the 7th song)
14. Keep It Together (Single Remix) (replaced with 'Dear Jessie' on international editions)
15. Hanky Panky
16. This Used to Be My Playground (Video Edit)
17. You Must Love Me (Single Version)
18. Live to Tell (Edit with Intro)
19. Celebration

The order of the songs are regulated according to a scheme. I wanted songs that go well together, usually with the same subject matter, period and/or grouping. Let me explain:

The first disc opens with the biggest hits of Madonna from the 2000s, these being 'Hung Up', 'Music', and '4 Minutes'. Before we pass on to her most successful era, the '80s, her ultimate dancefloor item that welcomed her to the '90s provide the connection: 'Vogue'. Then we hear her most memorable songs from the '80s in chronological order: 'Holiday', 'Like a Virgin', 'Into the Groove', 'La Isla Bonita', and 'Like a Prayer'. The next three songs are her "pumping" songs: 'Ray of Light', 'Sorry', and 'Express Yourself' (Interestingly, all three are the second singles off the albums they were released from.). Then we meet the most controversial songs of her career: 'Dress You Up', 'American Life', 'Erotica', and 'Justify My Love'. After this era, she says she's not sorry for all the controversy with 'Human Nature', and the first disc closes with the first new song, 'Revolver'.

The second disc opens with some other important '80s songs: 'Papa Don't Preach', 'Material Girl', 'Lucky Star', 'Who's That Girl?', 'Burning Up', 'Open Your Heart' (the last two completing each other perfectly in terms of the subject matter); and we finish this part with 'Crazy for You', that at the same time opens the next section, consisting of cool down/mid-tempo songs mostly from Madonna's favorite period of her career, that is between "Like a Prayer"-"Ray of Light", with the exception of 'Miles Away', which perfectly fits. Here we listen to 'Bad Girl', 'Frozen', 'Secret', 'Cherish', 'I'll Remember', 'Miles Away', 'Rain', and 'Take a Bow'. Into the end, two dance tracks from 2000s follow: 'Don't Tell Me' and 'Hollywood', but before them, a ballad from "American Life" connects these two parts, this being 'Nothing Fails' (replaced by 'Love Profusion' on the international edition). After that, we see the end of the second disc with another new song, my favorite one 'It's So Cool'.

The third disc opens with three movie songs from the late '90s & early 2000s, these being 'Beautiful Stranger', 'American Pie', and 'Die Another Day' (With 'Beautiful Stranger' at the beginning, all three discs open with songs from different decades of her career: 'Hung Up' from the 2000s, 'Papa Don't Preach' from the '80s, and 'Beautiful Stranger' from the '90s.). Then we continue the up-tempo with two songs from her last studio albums: 'Jump' and 'Give It 2 Me'. Just like 'Vogue' connects the 2000s and '80s in the first disc, 'Deeper and Deeper', another '90s dancefloor masterpiece, connects the 2000s of this disc to the '80s, and we listen to four up/mid-tempo songs from her first three albums: 'Everybody', 'True Blue', 'Borderline', and 'Angel'. As the tempo slows down a bit, it's time for two brilliant "Broken but strong" ballads: 'You'll See' and 'The Power of Good-Bye'. The electronic items in 'The Power of Good-Bye' leads us to the energy of 'Get Together' (international editions have 'Fever' before this song, excluding 'Everybody' as the 7th song), and after we "get together", we face the fact that we have to "keep it together" with 'Keep It Together' (replaced by 'Dear Jessie' on international releases). The early '90s tune of this sweet song is perfectly matched with 'Hanky Panky', the second single off her first '90s album. 'Hanky Panky' also bridges to the beginning of the last section of the album: Movie ballads, consisting of 'This Used to Be My Playground', 'You Must Love Me', and 'Live to Tell'. And we are closing the third disc, and at the same time the album, with the track titled with the main reason of this collection: 'Celebration'!

*All original album versions unless stated.

*Some are original edits, that is just the abridged versions of the longer album versions, but not "The Immaculate Collection" remixes, which are, to me, the spoiled mixes of the original ones, which they are known as and loved for. This is not a remix album, so radio/video versions or at least near to original mixes are highly preferred. Like 'Vogue', 'Holiday', 'Lucky Star', 'Cherish', and 'Borderline'.

*I usually prefer the radio/single edits unless I believe they are the butchered (= spoiled) versions of a good track ('Hung Up', '4 Minutes', 'Express Yourself'). This is a singles collection, and I'd like it to sound different from a fan-made list consisting of songs taken from the albums instead of singles.

*All cleared-up, digitally mastered.

*I even found some fan-made alternative album covers that I use for this version. Just Google them, there are so lovely ones, much better than the original (= bad!!) cover. The silver one is my favorite and I use it on my iPod.

In 2012, I will "release" (=-D) a 30th year version with a fourth disc, completing all the missing singles. This will be as:

('Everybody' opens the disc on international versions)

1. Causing a Commotion
2. Gambler
3. Spotlight (Edit)
4. Fever (Edit One) (on North American editions only)
5. Bedtime Story (Edit)
6. Nothing Really Matters (Edit)
7. Bye Bye Baby
8. Rescue Me (Single Mix)
9. Don't Cry for Me Argentina (Miami Mix Edit)
10. Love Profusion (replaced by 'Nothing Fails (Radio Edit)' on international editions)
11. Dear Jessie (replaced by 'Keep It Together (Single Remix)' on international editions)
12. What It Feels like for a Girl
13. Hey You (Radio Edit)
14. Oh Father
15. The Look of Love
16. One More Chance
17. Another Suitcase in Another Hall
18. Love Don't Live Here Anymore (Soulpower Radio Remix Edit)
19. Drowned World/Substitute for Love (Radio Edit)

*This disc has chiefly a "'80s to '00s" orientation with an up-tempo/mid-tempo/ballads feel.

*I'd like to include 'Broken (I'm Sorry)' as a new track, but cut it for the sake of including all the past singles.

*I'd also love to include 'Me against the Music' with Britney Spears in the "controversial songs" section on the very first disc as a bonus, but there's no space; and I'm against cutting down the original versions of 'Hung Up', '4 Minutes', 'Express Yourself' etc. for the sake of a song which Madonna is only featured. Maybe in a future compilation, with future hits.

@Turancan, just love, Love your post!!

Thanks a lot!!  :kissy:

And here is my "regular" version (with the same song versions from my deluxe one):

CD #1:

1. Hung Up

2. Music

3. Vogue

4. 4 Minutes

5. Holiday

6. Like a Virgin

7. Into the Groove

8. Papa Don't Preach

9. La Isla Bonita

10. Like a Prayer

11. Ray of Light

12. Sorry

13. Express Yourself

14. Dress You Up

15. American Life

16. Erotica

17. Justify My Love

18. Revolver

CD #2:

1. Material Girl

2. Lucky Star

3. Who's That Girl?

4. Open Your Heart

5. Borderline

6. Crazy for You

7. You'll See

8. Secret

9. Frozen

10. Cherish

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. Die Another Day

13. Give It 2 Me

14. Rain

15. Don't Tell Me

16. Live to Tell

17. Take a Bow

18. Celebration

Disc 1:

1. Everybody

2. Burning Up

3. Holiday

4. Lucky Star

5. Borderline

6. Like a Virgin

7. Material Girl

8. Crazy for You

9. Into the Groove

10. Dress You Up

11. Live to Tell

12. Papa Don't Preach

13. True Blue

14. Open Your Heart

15. La Isla Bonita

16. Who's That Girl
17. Causing a Commotion

18. Like a Prayer

Disc 2: 

1. Express Yourself

2. Cherish

3. Vogue

4. Hanky Panky

5. Justify My Love

6. Rescue Me

7. This Used to Be My Playground

8. Erotica

9. Deeper and Deeper

10. Rain

11. I'll Remember

12. Secret

13. Take a Bow

14. You'll See

15. You Must Love Me

16. Don't Cry for Me Argentina

17. Frozen

18. Ray of Light

Disc 3:

1. The Power of Good-Bye

2. Beautiful Stranger

3. American Pie

4. Music

5. Don't Tell Me

6. Die Another Day

7. American Life
8. Hollywood

9. Hung Up

10. Sorry

11. Get Together

12. 4 Minutes

13. Give It 2 Me

14. Miles Away

15. Celebration

16. Revolver

17. It's So Cool

18. Celebration (Remix)

• 7 months later...

So i would separate each era in 3 Disks - (1982-1990), (1991-2000), 2001-2010)

CD 1

01 Everybody

02 Holiday

03 Lucky Star

04 Like A Virgin

05 Into The Groove

06 Material Girl

07 Burning Up

08 True Blue

09 Papa Don't Preach

10 Open Your Heart

11 La Isla Bonita

12 Where's The Party

13 Who's That Girl

14 Causin A Comotion

15 Keep It Together

16 Like A Prayer

17 Cherish

18 Express Yourself

19 Vogue

20 Justify My Love

CD 2

01 Deeper & Deeper

02 Erotica

03 Bad Girl

04 Bedtime Story

05 I'll Remember

06 Take A Bow

07 Secret

08 You'll See

09 Don't Cry For Me Argentina

10 This Used To Be My Playroom

11 Buenos Aires

12 Ray Of Light

13 Frozen

14 Nothing Really Matters

15 Power Of Goodbye

16 Music

17 Don't Tell Me

18 Music

19 Paradise Not For Me

20 Gone

21 American Pie

CD 3

01 What It Feels Like For A Girl

02 Die Another Day

03 American Life

04 Nothing Fails

05 Nobody Knows Me

06 Love Profusion

07 Jump

08 Get Together

09 Hung Up

10 Sorry

11 Isaac

12 Give It To Me

13 Candy Shop

14 4 Minutes

15 Hey You

16 Heartbeat

17 Mother & Father

Bonus Mixed CD

01 CD1 Get Into The Holiday Megamix

02 CD2 A Secret Instant Megamix

03 CD3 Megamix

* I Am missing more hits.

The problem here is the inclusion of NonSingles. Especially something like Gone.

• 3 years later...
On 12/22/2015 at 5:44 PM, Janinno Salazar said:

Jorick Hello, you're right it's almost impossible to include the successes of 3 decades in a single CD and and two still falls well short collection. Like you I thought the same thing Edition "SUPER DELUXE EDITION" with 3 discs and still be wanting some hit singles. As for durations of CELEBRATION original album, I think sloppy boombox not represent their great eras. So I gave myself the task of editing, in order to create an album with versions agreement in time, not just cut them, if not offer unique versions for this album. I share my Artwork, my tracklist and their durations. This is just my personal opinion, we all have different favorite songs of Madonna, some more successful than others, but after all are successes. Kisses ...

Posted Image

MADONNA - CELEBRATION

Super Deluxe Edition

Posted Image

Please share this awesome artwork 

On 12/22/2015 at 4:44 PM, Janinno Salazar said:

Posted Image

MADONNA - CELEBRATION

Super Deluxe Edition

Posted Image

Amazing artwork! Would you mind sharing it in HQ, please?

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2015 at 7:44 PM, Janinno Salazar said:

Posted Image

MADONNA - CELEBRATION

Super Deluxe Edition

Posted Image

Is there an edit out there of Hung Up that lasts 4:45? Besides the album version, I’ve only heard the radio edit.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:46 PM, Overloaded said:

Is there an edit out there of Hung Up that lasts 4:45? Besides the album version, I’ve only heard the radio edit.

I used to have an edit that had the shortened radio edit intro but still had the remaining bits intact. Not sure if it was real or just fanmade. 

• 1 year later...

I would say, its pretty good. I would change:

Give It 2 Me (instead of Miles Away as it's a bigger hit) 

Deeper And Deeper (instead of Everybody a bigger hit and to give 90s Madonna a bit more presence)

I'll Remember [Orbit Remix] or Don't Cry For Me Argentina [Miami Mix Edit] (instead of Who's That Girl, clearly the bigger soundtrack single)

Also all correct 7"/Radio edits of songs.