Madonna: Recent

groovyguy

Madonna visits children's shelter before her Manila concert

http://www.rappler.com/entertainment/music/concerts/123379-madonna-visits-bahay-tuluyan

MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – A few days before her 2-night Manila concert, Madonna visited the Bahay Tuluyan Foundation, a center that provides shelter for orphans and street children.

On Instagram on Tuesday, February 23, Madonna posted a photo of herself with the children at Bahay Tuluyan, captioned, "Chillin with my Homies at the Bahay Tuluyan Foundation. Inc. giving shelter to Orphans street children trafficking/abuse victims in Manilla‼"

Posted Image

Later, Madonna posted more photos of her stay at the shelter.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Bahay Tuluyan Executive Director Lily Flordelis told Rappler that they were informed of Madonna's visit on short notice, and so they and the kids were surprised.

Madonna's dancers and entourage were there to entertain around 70 kids.

"She danced with them, she had fun with them," said Flordelis on what Madonna did during her visit. "She... played with them actually. Very informal."

"[it was] her foundation that identified Bahay Tuluyan," added Flordelis.

The pop star is a known for her philanthropy work, having founded the non-profit charity organization Raising Malawi in 2006 together with Michael Berg, a director of the Kabbalah Centre. She donates to many charities, mostly related to children's causes, and is a patron of Children of Peace.

Her 2-day concert for the Rebel Heart Tour is scheduled on February 24 and 25.

According to a report by ABS-CBN, the music legend flew in via a chartered flight and arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) at around 1:58 am, Monday, February 22.

It was also reported that she did not have to go through protocol – immigration, quarantine inspection, and customs – as her passport was stamped by Philippine immigration officers while inside the plane. She promptly boarded a vehicle with a security convoy.

Concert promoter MMI Live and local fans from Club Madonna Philippines confirmed the news via social media.

No photos of the icon herself in the Philippines have surfaced until she posted about her Bahay Tuluyan visit on Instagram. Airline and ground crew were said to be forbidden to take photos or videos of the singer.

Her advance party was earlier seen soaking in the famous Manila sunset – as evidenced by Instagram posts by her tour dresser Anthony Villanueva and long-time guitarist Monte Pittman:

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some one with some brains. Loving Karren Brady's positive critique [The Sun]

Karren Brady: Madonna’s still sexy and sassy... give her a break

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/suncolumnists/7013742/Karren-Brady-says-Lets-give-Madge-a-break.html

LOVE her or hate her, you have to admit Madonna is nothing if not consistent.

At 57 she is currently touring Down Under for the first time in 23 years and getting very mixed reviews over her performances.

Last week she dressed up as a clown, pedalled around on a tricycle, fell over, and crawled around on stage.

At times, she was effing and blinding. So to recap: Madonna donned a wacky outfit, writhed around on stage and swore a lot.

Nothing new there then.

She later said to the audience: “There’s no end to the mistakes I’ve made. Everybody knows the saga of me and my son, Rocco. It’s not a fun story to tell or think about.â€

Of course, she is referring to the ugly custody battle she and her ex-husband, Guy Ritchie, are embroiled in.

Sure, you could call it a case of oversharing. But she is just doing what she has always done, which is strutting around unapologetically flaunting her private life in public.

If you saw the film In bed With Madonna, you’ll know what I mean.

This week everyone is talking about her “public meltdownâ€. But wouldn’t anyone have a “bit of a moment†if their 15-year-old son had chosen to leave home and side with his dad in a very bitter custody battle?

Instead of acknowledging that, we view her as poor lonely, old Madonna dressing as a clown.

I don’t hear many people celebrating her as Madonna, working mum of four and main breadwinner of any relationship she has been in, who still hits the stage with the energy of someone half her age. I think that’s partly because of “bad mother syndromeâ€.

You know, “she really should be at home bringing up her kids rather than workingâ€.

I’m sorry to say it’s still true that as a woman working away from home you are branded “selfishâ€, whereas a man doing the same is “dedicatedâ€.

The world has been having a pop at Madonna since she burst on the scene with a song about feeling like a virgin, when she was so brazenly anything but.

And they have carried on ever since. For wearing outfits that are too risqué, lovers who are too young, hands that are too veiny, for being mutton dressed as lamb. Remember last year when she tripped on stage at the Brit Awards?

The world was abuzz with people saying that doddery, old Madonna had “had a fallâ€.

Instead of seeing it for what it was — a costume malfunction — and praising her for finishing her act as if nothing had happened, people said it was time for her to throw in her elderly towel.

And, as she Tweets yet another photo of her a*** and dares to present herself as a sexual being, even though she is (gasp) in her fifties, the world seems to be jostling to get in line to take her down.

It’s hard not to speculate that there is an element of ageism about it. A sort of collective, “Put it away, luv, you are 57. Stop making a spectacle of yourself.â€

It’s a bit rich really when you consider the degree to which some women are celebrated and valued for their looks and sexual worth, but only as long as they are young.

That delightful phrase “mutton dressed as lamb†is a case in point.

It says: “Didn’t you get the memo, dear? After a certain age you are not allowed to wear short skirts, have long hair, be funny or sexy.â€

But why should you change how you are or how you dress just because you get older? It’s just another form of controlling women.

It’s funny, though, because Paul McCartney, who is 73 and just confirmed dates for his tour this summer, is praised for his longevity.

And then there’s the Rolling Stones, who have a collective age so high I’ve lost count, still shamelessly gyrating and jiggling their way around the world. And no one bats an eyelid.

And if they can do it then let’s leave Madonna alone, shall we? It’s just such a double standard.

Things are definitely changing. There’s lots of evidence to show that our society doesn’t prize youth in the way that it once did.

Just look at the plethora of 50 and 60-something female role models like Yasmin Le Bon and Annie Lennox.

But there’s room for improvement. Regardless of whether you like her music, we should admire Madonna.

She has boundless energy, cares not a jot what people think, is still relevant, looks fantastic and is busy filling up stadiums.

Plus, she still has a great bum. Instead of turning our noses up we should all be saying: “That’s what I want to be like at her age.â€

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...