• 2 weeks later...

https://transientfashionfollower.com/dressing-the-part-desperately-seeking-susan-80s-fashion/

According to her friend and stylist Maripol, ‘She would come over when she was doing Desperately Seeking Susan and say she didn’t like the costumes. I would say: “You’re a singer! You have to look like you.” I insisted she keep her jewelry, the crosses and stuff.’

..'At one point, Ritts was shooting some sultry glamour shots of Rosanna posing against a cloth backdrop when Madonna came over. After gaping at Rosanna for a minute she said “You look so good I’d like to fuck you myself.” It was funny, but you could almost hear the air—sssssss!—slipping out of Rosanna’s confidence. Her moment was stolen, and it became all about Madonna. And come on! This was Rosanna Arquette, after all—a true fantasy figure for a good portion of the men in America! Moments later, Madonna grabbed the backdrop, commandeered the same pose… and Herb shot an image that became a famous poster.

Eventually it was time for lunch, so Melissa and I went out and got some sandwiches. That was catering. “Who wants the tuna?” Madonna played me the track “Sidewalk Talk” from the compilation album “Jellybean Rocks the House” that her boyfriend Jellybean Benitez was producing. She seemed pleased that I liked it, which made me feel good. She often made fun of me on the set, but the truth was that I spent a lot of time with her alone, going over pictures in her trailer and in her loft (she lived a few blocks from me), and we got along very well. Her instincts for publicity were amazing even then, and I have always considered her one of my mentors. I’ve learned a thing or two from other publicists, but the best training comes from natural-born salesmen like her. My favorite story about Madonna involves how she got her manager. She asked who handled Michael Jackson, and when she found out it was Freddy DeMann, she called him. Who would have the chutzpah to do that? Freddy signed her.

Legendary style-setter André Leon Talley turned up unannounced and asked Herb to shoot a photo of Madonna for “Vanity Fair”. Before I could say anything, Talley put a pair of multi-colored men’s boxer shorts on top of Madonna’s head and started twisting them around...'

https://www.moviemaker.com/my-life-as-a-blog-the-desperately-seeking-susan-poster-and-the-day-madonna-met-herb-ritts/

I saw a new Basquiat book today at a store for the new exhibition Jean-Michel Basquiat: King Pleasure. I skimmed through the book and I saw a page about Madonna. Basquiat's sisters and his stepmother (who wasn't married to his father Gerard but they were together for decades until his death and his sisters refer to her as their stepmother)  share their memories of Madonna and there are 2 rare Polaroid photos of her. I took a picture of the page with the flash off because there was security all around and I didn't want to seem suspicious. The book looks good, I might buy it later when I see the new exhibition. It's in New York City so I think Madonna might go see it. She took her children to see the Basquiat exhibition in London a few years ago and since she's making her own biopic, this might be some more #research.

Basquiat's sister Lisane said: 

I remember hearing that Jean-Michel and Madonna were dating. It was very matter-of-fact. After that I would party extra hard to "Everybody" LOL.

His father's partner Nora said: 

It was Thanksgiving in the early 1980s, Jean-Michel was on the phone with Gerard, inviting us for dinner. Several calls later he found a restaurant and made a reservation at One Fifth Avenue. Gerard, Jeanine, and I went to the restaurant, and Jean-Michel was already there with Madonna and some friends. (We didn't know who Madonna was at the time). He knew I liked vodka gimlets, so everybody was drinking vodka gimlets. He was very thoughtful and charming. We had a lovely dinner, after which there was the usual fight between Jean-Michel and Gerard about who would pay the bill. After dinner we went to his apartment on Crosby Street to hang out. It was a lovely occasion I will always remember.

Basquiat's sister Jeanine said:

I remember the night that we (Papa, Nora and I) met Madonna. It was the only time I saw her. We went to dinner at the restaurant One Fifth Avenue. Jean-Michel introduced us to his girlfriend: "This is Madonna. And she has a song out right now." I had no idea who she was at the time, but he showed us her first single "Everybody." After dinner we went to his loft on Crosby Street. While we were there Madonna asked if I knew how to do the popular dance at the time, because I was a teenager. I did—I showed her how to do "the Webo."

20220408_173037.thumb.jpg.8bc9cdec9cc276d41e0edf5451d276da.jpg

madonna1.thumb.jpg.308a6359e9df79d193ed820b87b43fcd.jpg

madonna2.thumb.jpg.202bad26c243f50973ce10f9776a0706.jpg

https://transientfashionfollower.com/dressing-the-part-desperately-seeking-susan-80s-fashion/
According to her friend and stylist Maripol, ‘She would come over when she was doing Desperately Seeking Susan and say she didn’t like the costumes. I would say: “You’re a singer! You have to look like you.” I insisted she keep her jewelry, the crosses and stuff.’

Can anybody remind me in which interview Maripol suggests that M had a personality disorder, and that’s why she was constantly changing so drastically?

On 4/5/2022 at 10:44 PM, into the erotico said:

Years later I ran into Madonna at Lee’s Art Shop on 57th Street. I introduced myself and said that I had worked on Desperately Seeking Susan. “A lot of people worked on Desperately Seeking Susan,” she said as she walked past me.

:laughing: she should put that in her movie

FPiaPQkVkAAERYV.jpg

“They [publicists] needed a photo of them with Madonna for publicity purposes—problem was, Madonna was so insecure with her new fame that she wouldn’t even pose with her opening act. When she asked me why I wanted to get a picture of her with the boys, I replied “because we want to make them as famous as you.” Her reply: “That’s not very funny!” She wouldn’t pose with them, so I had another idea to make the publicists happy: we went into the audience and shot photos of the group with her performing in the background! Unfortunately, no one liked that idea as much as we did— but the ball was rolling!” - Glen E. Friedman. The Virgin Tour 10th April - 11th June 1985.

:laughing: she was such a brat :laughing: I really wish she put stuff like this in her movie, that would be the stuff people would remember, truly an iconic scene.

2 hours ago, webo1958 said:

Just throwing this out there 

NY

42nd Street cinema 

going to see a Martial Arts film  with Debi Mazar and DAZE and Lady Pink 

DCB72702-379D-4208-80BE-394C69A47814.jpeg

The boy in the blue jacket is Dontay Tc5. Oliver Sanchez is in the red pants and his brother Adolfo Sanchez is the guy squatting. The boy in front of Daze is Timmy. I don't recognize the girl squatting but that's not Lady Pink. Here's a pic of Lady Pink in 1983.

xfowth71acm71.jpg?auto=webp&s=15d2b57ac6

That picture on 42nd Street looks like it was taken the same day at the black & white Beth Baptiste shoot in 1983. Daze spoke about it years ago:

These photos were from a photo shoot by Beth Baptiste. I was invited to be a part of the shoot by Debi Mazar, who was a really good friend at the time. Debi was close to Madonna (for a while she served as her personal makeup artist and even went on tour with her) I was also friends with Madonna, as well as Adolpho Sanchez, Timmy, and Dontay.

We were all part of the New York City downtown club scene. Going to the Roxy every Friday, Danceteria during the week, hanging at the Fun Gallery and going to openings every night.
I think what Beth was trying to show was how diverse the scene was.
The shoot took place on the street in Hell’s Kitchen, pretty far west. Madonna was not yet a big star. She just had one single out called “Everybody,” that’s it.

We were all trying to make our way in the big world, trying to navigate through a scene that was sometimes difficult. We would all go on to become successful in some way.

Obviously Madonna eventually became an icon.

7c14c83b2a5caf7703f5580acd3395cf7346ba41

8c7a63885b8d2f7a8b59f37ea708b3ddd3400ee4

Adolfo, Dontay tc5, Daze, Debi, Madonna and Oliver

daze-madonna-2.jpg

Madonna and ON2

bfa58e8dabea82a17cd460a6be8f852bb5d8dc25

ON2, Debi and Daze

c13f3d2a82ad1ee6c82faebfcec354c2ee7d5ad6

8c0d1f3cfd16c959e31d538da854e8f0c4a66fd2

On 4/13/2022 at 8:04 PM, Vogue Italia said:

The boy in the blue jacket is Dontay Tc5. Oliver Sanchez is in the red pants and his brother Adolfo Sanchez is the guy squatting. The boy in front of Daze is Timmy. I don't recognize the girl squatting but that's not Lady Pink. Here's a pic of Lady Pink in 1983.

xfowth71acm71.jpg?auto=webp&s=15d2b57ac6

That picture on 42nd Street looks like it was taken the same day at the black & white Beth Baptiste shoot in 1983. Daze spoke about it years ago:

These photos were from a photo shoot by Beth Baptiste. I was invited to be a part of the shoot by Debi Mazar, who was a really good friend at the time. Debi was close to Madonna (for a while she served as her personal makeup artist and even went on tour with her) I was also friends with Madonna, as well as Adolpho Sanchez, Timmy, and Dontay.

We were all part of the New York City downtown club scene. Going to the Roxy every Friday, Danceteria during the week, hanging at the Fun Gallery and going to openings every night.
I think what Beth was trying to show was how diverse the scene was.
The shoot took place on the street in Hell’s Kitchen, pretty far west. Madonna was not yet a big star. She just had one single out called “Everybody,” that’s it.

We were all trying to make our way in the big world, trying to navigate through a scene that was sometimes difficult. We would all go on to become successful in some way.

Obviously Madonna eventually became an icon.

7c14c83b2a5caf7703f5580acd3395cf7346ba41

8c7a63885b8d2f7a8b59f37ea708b3ddd3400ee4

Adolfo, Dontay tc5, Daze, Debi, Madonna and Oliver

daze-madonna-2.jpg

Madonna and ON2

bfa58e8dabea82a17cd460a6be8f852bb5d8dc25

ON2, Debi and Daze

c13f3d2a82ad1ee6c82faebfcec354c2ee7d5ad6

8c0d1f3cfd16c959e31d538da854e8f0c4a66fd2

Thank you for this info - sorry it’s taken me a while to respond - it’s all piecing together now 

xx

Jennifer Grey shared this polaroid taken during the filming of Bloodhounds of Broadway in 1988.

1251449783.thumb.jpg.64c58656e9d5234705815063b8cb2118.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 3:28 AM, lap said:

Was this photo also shot by Beth Baptiste?

010492433.jpg

I've always seen this photo grouped together with the other Beth Baptiste photos I posted. It could be the same photographer but I think this one is from a different day or at a different session that day. Madonna's outfit is different and she is with Erika Bell, Martin Burgoyne and Bagz in this photo.

• 3 weeks later...