'American Pie' Song Appreciation Topic

madgefan

I've never understood why this song receives so much hate both from non-fans and fans themselves. First, because I think it's a great and catchy rendition despite the omitted original verses, and second, her voice during the 99-00 era sounded fresh, mature and moving. In addition, this song is special to me because it was the first thing I heard from Madonna on the radio knowing who the singer was and how the video looked like, it is kind of the first representation of my mental image of her face. I remember trying to watch the video on MTV and looking at her perplexed by her beauty :hearteyes:

Posted Image

Fortunately, the Latinamerican edition of the Music album included American Pie as a bonus track so it was the real reason I bought the record in the first place. I don't know about you guys in the US but without Madonna's version of this song, I would have never become a fan of hers.

On the contrary, despite Madonna's lack of affection towards this song (she's never performed it live in any of her tours and it's never been included in any of the compilations) the song managed to get to the top positions of several countries around the world: Finland, Canada, Australia, Italy, Germany, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

Last but not least, I adore Mr Orbit's production!! I was so happy the day he leaked the instrumental version on Souncloud (despite containing a few missing seconds in between):

https://soundcloud.com/user3791127/american-pie-instrumental

What do you think? Do you like American Pie? Should Madonna sing it live? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I loved this song as soon as i heard it - i think people criticise it just because its a cover of an iconic song(nothing to do with Madonna or her voice imo) - i love orbits production on it too and was so happy he leaked the instrumental this year as it completes the music instrumentals too - i even personally asked him to leak it via his facebook page so it must have done some good :))- i always loved the richard humpty vission radio mix too plus the remix videos were great with all that extra footage that wasnt included in the standard video. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...