Tears of a Clown Special, Melbourne [Thur March 10th 2016]

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/madonna-concert-than-four-hours-late/

Madonna starts Melbourne concert more than four hours late

By all accounts, Madonna's first attempt at her new "Tears of a Clown" show was worth the wait -- even if that wait was more than four hours long.

The show itself, which was streamed live on Periscope, featured an old-fashioned carnival theme, with Madonna dressed as a clown in a top hat. She arrived riding a small tricycle, circling the stage a number of times before comically falling off near the front.

Madonna apologized for the delay and for any mistakes that she and her band made during the gig, as it was a "work in progress." She also told the crowd that she was not making any money on the tour because of all the late fees in each city.

Later in the show, she surprised the audience with candid references to her personal life past and present. She dedicated her song "Intervention" to son Rocco, with whom she has been having a very public feud.

She also mentioned ex-husband Sean Penn at one point, recounting a story about how when he was in prison and she would visit him, he was placed near a serial killer who always had a line of groupies waiting to see him, while no one but Madonna was waiting to see Penn -- which was just fine as far as Madonna was concerned.

Her antics during the show also involved testing out stand-up comedy routines between songs, giving two audience members each $100 and sporting a jewel-encrusted grill that made her difficult to understand. She performed many lesser-known tracks and acoustic versions of hits, as well as a cover of Elliott Smith's "Between the Bars."

It's French for Sea. So, it's The Sea Girl.

Ohhhhhh. Lol, I knew mer was French for sea, I just didn't realise that the "mer" she was using was the French for sea. I wondered if it was a kabbalah, mystical word.....

Same here!

Even though i'm French I must admit I never make the connection between the song title and the French word "mer"   :rip:

Thought it was a sort of word play or something like that...Thanks Nicmag!!!

WoW! What a day! I was a job interview today at the same time that show started!!! I wanna say thank u to all of you because I've been able to read all about you have written along the afternoon now and revive the moment!

I love the show, it has been amazing and I hope it would be released soon!

Once again... thank u very much!

Considered that videoes of Send in the Clowns (I still can't believe she really sang that) and Drowned World are already on YouTube, Borderline, Intervention, Mer Girl and Between the bars are my most wanted at the moment  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

TEARS OF A CLOWN WAS UNFORGETTABLE, HOPEFULLY THE BEGINNING OF A NEW COURSE

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCyBLgFyxtr/

super_hero_tonyWE DID ITâ—The curtain goes up in Australia for first time in 23 years. "Tears of a Clown" Thank You everyone for waiting in the rain to support this show. It would not have been the same without each and everyone of you! I hope you had a great time. I didâ—

Posted Image

Andrew Byrne
Well..... WOW!!! What an amazing experience for a Madonna fan! "Tears Of A Clown" was something I will never ever forget. The doors to the Forum finally opened just after 11:30pm. I managed a spot at the end of the catwalk. Firstly, my view was obstructed by a talk security guard with a generous sized noggin. I got him swapped for a shorter guy 

smile emoticon At 1am she arrived on stage singing "Send In The Clowns". Then mixed some of her best ballads (a lot from American Life) mixed with some chatting and some super corny jokes. The absolute highlights for me were Mer Girl (holy crap this was amazing!) and Joan Of Arc!! I made eye contact with her once, didn't touch her though frown emoticon

But hell, was I close. I was mesmerised for most of it. There she finally was - right in front of me. She is beautiful! And sang beautifully! I don't know how anything will ever come as close to a perfect moment than seeing her perform tonight. Wow. She finished at 3am!!!!!! Thank you so much John Hendriks

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A review from The Age

http://m.theage.com....311-gng3fr.html
Madonna's intimate Melbourne show Tears of A Clown a unique confessional
By Debbie Cuthbertson

Countdown on for Madonna's Tears of a Clown comedy show
Good things come to those who wait. For Madonna's Australian fans it's been a long time between drinks, with the global superstar setting foot Down Under for the first time in 23 years.

Her choice of venue Melbourne's historic Forum was inspired, and her crew lit up the grand old dame in a way that showcased all her delicate charms in a way I can't recall any other act having ever done.

After all that time, a few extra hours spent waiting around outside (and around the corner and down the side laneway) didn't seem to dull her loyalists' spirits. Quite the opposite: they used the time to sing medleys of their idol's tracks until the doors opened late on Thursday night.

In the end they got almost two hours up close and personal with Madonna. For the queen of self-control, it was an open, at times even vulnerable insight into her persona. She seemed relaxed, drinking Cosmopolitans as she spoke at length between songs. 

She made her entrance on a tiny tricycle, dressed in a clown-like outfit of yellow swing tunic and pink and white striped stockings, topped with a pink wig and a white top hat perched askew, she launched into Stephen Sondheim's melancholy Send In The Clowns.

The Tears of a Clown show, a reward for fans who had waited more than two decades for her to return, was a combination of relaxed insight, frank reflection and some seriously daggy gags.

Her set was largely a roll call of her lesser known songs mixed with bona fide hits, some in an almost unrecognisable arrangement. 

Substitute for Love was followed with a cover of Elliott Smith's Between the Bars and a few more recognisable tracks, including Tell Me and Borderline, and a ukulele version of her 1980s smash hit Holiday for the encore. 

She dedicated her song Intervention to her 15-year-old son Rocco, who is the subject of custody negotiations with her former husband Guy Ritchie. She also discussed her father at length and paid tribute to her late mother.

Performing with a fairly subdued backing band, Madonna fluffed a few songs, but warned the audience they were viewing a rehearsal, yet for what was not entirely clear

"This is some brand spankin' new shit," she told the audience. "I hope you like it raw. It's rough as f---."

Madonna plays Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena on Saturday and Sunday, Brisbane Entertainment Centre on March 16 and 17, and Sydney's Allphones Arena on March 19 and 20.

What an incredible day/night! In just one day my Like a prayer status changed into Express yourself!!

I think this is one of the most unforgettable moments in Madonna history.

As I said before, I agree with @@Stevo, I'm not totally convinced by the setlist. Don't get me wrong, I love acoustic music and ballads, but the tone was a little too slow and dark. And although American Life is one of my favourites, maybe we had too many songs from it: of course anyone wants different pieces, some were expecting Rescue me (not easy to do it acoustic, though), maybe Love profusion would have been a great surprise, rather than Xtatic process which we heard live before. It would have been nice to turn faster songs like Angel into ballads. But I have to see it properly before making a judgement. Being a musical theatre fan, Send in the clowns was an impossible dream come true... If it's really a work in progress and is going to continue, I hope they can really make a perfect song selection. I still don't understand why they want to use the exact album sounds when playing live.

The look was great; the clown theme was already used in GS but this was totally new. I can't say at the moment if the tone was too bitter or a little funny too, because I didn't understand all the jokes and I need a proper audio to judge the speeches...

EDIT: Why don't we start a new topic with a collection of all Madonna jokes? The three rings of marriage etc.

I've never got the one during Girlie Show: How do you know when a woman is sexually satisfied? Because I never got the answer!

But definitely there are some real positive considerations to be made: she is trying to do a new kind of show. Getting intimate and not afraid to start a song again if it's wrong. Pure perfectionist but also human. Madonna shows are always great but she used to keep a distance and in Rebel Heart Tour and Tears of a Clown she is breaking down barriers, getting close to us, showing her real voice, not hiding behind great dance scenes or great projections, which are always great but sometimes without much soul. Definitely a step towards a more mature approach. I love it!!