Should Madonna rerelease The Virgin Tour DVD?

ariosoperfumegirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I may be in the minority but I prefer the fan intro on the Dress You Up video over the Madonna speech at the beginning of the VT VHS.

It creates more of a build-up/hype before the shows begins instead of the rapid cut to Dress You Up.

Certainly effective when at the show, but I wouldn't think it would feel the same way on video.  I like the speech because as at the time, it was the first glimpse of her transition into a full blonde for Shanghai Surprise and later for "Live To Tell".  

As for the absence of the songs, "Angel", "Borderline" and "Burning Up", I recall from early on, it was said the recordings weren't very good performances and that is why they were left off.  But back then, fans didn't really make a big deal about it as they do now when she leaves out stuff.

Certainly effective when at the show, but I wouldn't think it would feel the same way on video.  I like the speech because as at the time, it was the first glimpse of her transition into a full blonde for Shanghai Surprise and later for "Live To Tell".  

As for the absence of the songs, "Angel", "Borderline" and "Burning Up", I recall from early on, it was said the recordings weren't very good performances and that is why they were left off.  But back then, fans didn't really make a big deal about it as they do now when she leaves out stuff.

Well, differences of opinions. The speech is alright but this video just captures despite being new on the scene, she grabbed MTV and everyone by the balls and was just a taste of what was to come. It's definitely an insight to the Wannabe-mania, features an apparent cameo by a young Fergie and builds to the opening rather than the abrupt transition from "my dream came true" to the drum beat of Dress You Up. Even the speech + this version of DYU is a perfect mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWMP2nlAw8

The thing is; they rarely played that opening of that video on MTV. 

Also, Fergie wasn't in that Wannabe intro.  That all stems from the fact she was part of the show "Kids Incorporated" and she apparently was among the girls singing a kid friendly version of "Dress You Up" in '86.   Kid friendly you ask?  LOL!  Yes, they sang "Satin Shirts" instead of "Satin sheets". 

The thing is; they rarely played that opening of that video on MTV. 

Also, Fergie wasn't in that Wannabe intro.  That all stems from the fact she was part of the show "Kids Incorporated" and she apparently was among the girls singing a kid friendly version of "Dress You Up" in '86.   Kid friendly you ask?  LOL!  Yes, they sang "Satin Shirts" instead of "Satin sheets". 

I didn't question whether it was heavily rotated on MTV, I just said it would have built the hype a bit more for the home release than the "dream" speech.

Back then there was no such thing as Internet as we know it today, so you can't know if people made a big deal or not when she left those songs out  :thinker:

Back then there was no such thing as Internet as we know it today, so you can't know if people made a big deal or not when she left those songs out  :thinker:

And you can't know if people would or wouldn't make a big  deal.  But what I do know that I lived without internet and nothing compares to the phenomenon that artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson and a number of other artists had on people.  Back then, artists actually sold more records. Very few artists today can sell the records Madonna and other iconic stars back in the day.

And you can't know if people would or wouldn't make a big  deal.  But what I do know that I lived without internet and nothing compares to the phenomenon that artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson and a number of other artists had on people.  Back then, artists actually sold more records. Very few artists today can sell the records Madonna and other iconic stars back in the day.

That's exactly what I was saying  :thinker:

Other problem with this is that Madonna doesn't seem interested in releasing those things. She isn't interested on selling over and over again her past, she always looks to give something new. If she doesn't want to re-release her albums with bonus songs or make a decent compilation of her videos for "Celebration" why somebody would be interested in waste time looking for something like that if it won't be released?

She's expressed interest in wanting to release BAT and in an interview recently she talked about her regret in not documenting several tours in full and "preserving her legacy." I think you'll find she wants to do it but she has to have the time and the timing also has to be right.

It is likely the reason they haven't released The Virgin Tour on DVD is because they wanted to wait for when they can release the full show. Same as BAT, they want to release the Paris version and that will take work as it will likely need re-editing. They *could* just release the versions on TVT and BAT on DVD that have already been released if they wanted to. I am quite happy to wait and get something new rather than transfers of what we already have.

I've always believed that the three songs were deleted for space on the vhs, and they thought it was better removed songs than having 20 minutes blank.

The only thing clear is that Madonna does not want to release it because is past and Warner I dont understand why are not brave and release material that fans would appreciate. I understand that among the end-of-contract clauses there is one that prohibits or vetoes release material without the consent of Madonna, and she has always the last word. Or maybe when she finished contract with Live Nation come back to Warner.

• madgefan pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Nobody Knows Me
On 10/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

It would have to be released as some sort of boxset or big re-release of her stuff at this point. 

A Blu-Ray box set of all of her tours, including The Virgin Tour, Blond Ambition, and Re-Invention remastered would literally be a dream at this point.