"You Can Dance" & Who's That Girl Tour

Holger

I just noticed that the "Who's That Girl Tour" happened much earlier (summer 1987) than the "You Can Dance" album was released (November 1987).I had always assumed, that Madonna performed the Shep Pettibone Remix of "Into The Groove" on this tour. This may still be the case, as the mix surely had been produced much earlier. But it means, that the audience basicly didn't know the remix by then and to them this surely was a completly new performance of the song.

I just noticed that the "Who's That Girl Tour" happened much earlier (summer 1987) than the "You Can Dance" album was released (November 1987).I had always assumed, that Madonna performed the Shep Pettibone Remix of "Into The Groove" on this tour. This may still be the case, as the mix surely had been produced much earlier. But it means, that the audience basicly didn't know the remix by then and to them this surely was a completly new performance of the song.

correct

Indeed! Great topic.

I can remember 1987 getting YCD album and reading the album notes which said that the WTG tour version was based on the YCD remix - but I couldn't understand as a kid how come this could be the case, since the album came after the tour lol!

Yes ITG live version on WTG tour was a completely new re-working of the song for fans - but then so were many of the other songs in the show. 

Looking back at WTG I find it interesting that in Japan she was performing songs that no-one in the world had ever heard at all. Because "Causing a Commotion" and "Look of Love" had not been released anywhere at that stage. Must have been interesting to have heard those in concert without having any idea what the music and lyrics were!

Looking back at WTG I find it interesting that in Japan she was performing songs that no-one in the world had ever heard at all. Because "Causing a Commotion" and "Look of Love" had not been released anywhere at that stage. Must have been interesting to have heard those in concert without having any idea what the music and lyrics were!

I think the same happened with Blond Ambition Tour shows in Japan and the Dick Tracy segment as I'm Breathless had not been released at the time.

• 11 months later...

I have heard in the past that she wanted to release YCD to coincide with Who's That Girl Tour, but Warners thought it would sell better after the tour as fans would like to own some of those remixes they had heard in the show, mainly Into the Groove and Where's The Party.

• 1 year later...