Madonna to Honor Prince at Billboard Awards with live performance

Yung Rapunxel

100% agree !  :kissy: 

from Darren Hayes Facebook-page:

"Madonna. Prince. Michael Jackson. They were the three superstars of my generation. In the 1980's and beyond these three artists were Elvis and The Beatles combined. I know for some people Madonna seemed a strange choice to pay tribute to Prince at the Billboard Music Awards. Not for me. Here's my take on it: Prince, Michael Jackson and Madonna transcended race, genre and gender. Like Bowie or Freddie Mercury - they told the teens of their generation it didn't matter where you came from, what you dressed like or who you slept with. Michael Jackson could not get played on MTV because he was black, Madonna was called a bitch and considered too bossy for a woman, Prince was considered too rock for funk and too gay for straight. All three artists broke out of every box people tried to put them in.

Prince especially was never sitting still. He was a leader, a revolutionary and a one of a kind. It was emotional for me to see the one surviving artist of that incredible period on stage and acknowledging the brilliance of Prince. Madonna is the last one standing - a relic from a period that may never be repeated again. She understands how much pop music benefited from and still borrows from black artists - and as a woman I thought it was wonderful she simply reminded us of the galaxy shaped hole left in world without Prince.

When Stevie Wonder came out and the gospel nature of the DNA of 'Purple Rain' was revealed - I cried a little with sadness and joy. The pure soul and undeniable GENIUS of Stevie Wonder's voice, and Madonna standing there a passenger next to that level of genius spoke volumes. She did not turn it in to a platform for herself, but a thank you from all of us. She just let Stevie Wonder blow us away and for a second it was obvious: that was the level of uniqueness we lost with the passing of Prince.

I know the BET awards will feature their own tribute and I hope this features people who were Prince's musical peers - Sheila E. Wendy Melvin Questlove Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis Morris Day and The Time Larry Graham Chaka Khan Rosie Gaines Quincy Jones and as many of the wonderful members of The Revolution, NPG and the countless musicians lucky enough to have toured and collaborated with Prince. I hope the BET awards celebrate the FUN and FUNK of the Purple King. But I was touched Madonna acknowledged how incredible an influence Prince was on ALL music."

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yung Rapunxel

Madonna will pay tribute to Prince with a live performance at the Billboard Music Awards this month. Billboard and Dick Clark Productions told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Madonna will honor Prince at the May 22 show. Specific details about the performance weren’t revealed. The Billboard Awards will air live on ABC from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Ludacris and Ciara will host the show, which will include performances by Britney Spears, Celine Dion, Pink, Demi Lovato and Justin

groovyguy

Excellent piece      Madonna’s Only Wrongdoing Is That She Is Still Alive http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/madonnas-only-wrongdoing-is-that-she-is-still-alive_us_57435497e4b09f28cf5a02ba When Madonna honored Prince at last night’s Billboard Music Awards, I thought to myself, there is no other artist more suitable to honor the music and art of the tragically deceased Prince. After all, Madonna’s close relationship with Prince is well known and documented (check their duet- Love Song

Fighter

I don't care who Prince nor Madonna is. I don't care if they're legendary or sacred. Or part of the "trinity of pop"   The only thing I care about is that A HUMAN BEING put their heart and soul to tribute another human being, A FRIEND. So if we feel compelled to spew hateful opinions we need to re-evaluate our values because it is plain disrespectful.   It's not the decent thing to do.   This isn't the Superbowl, nor one of her shows. This is a tribute from a friend to a friend.   Grow t

Sorry guys, don't hate on me for this, but for me, that performance was truly horrible. It highlighted to all just how limited her vocals abilities actually are, especially with the poor song choice (amazing song, but totally wrong for her voice) and wobbly low vocals. It was a tribute to an amazing talent which was horribly executed...executed being a key word here. It actually made Gaga's 'fan-girl' tribute of Bowie look good. Even ol' Stevie Wonder couldn't save it in the Purple Rain part, he was just as questionable on this one. I was hoping for better from someone like Madonna, and she didn't deliver as she really could have.

Sorry guys, don't hate on me for this, but for me, that performance was truly horrible. It highlighted to all just how limited her vocals abilities actually are, especially with the poor song choice (amazing song, but totally wrong for her voice) and wobbly low vocals. It was a tribute to an amazing talent which was horribly executed...executed being a key word here. It actually made Gaga's 'fan-girl' tribute of Bowie look good. Even ol' Stevie Wonder couldn't save it in the Purple Rain part, he was just as questionable on this one. I was hoping for better from someone like Madonna, and she didn't deliver as she really could have.

what song should she have done do you think? Her vocals may be limited but they're nice anyway? 

I think maybe she wanted to keep it classy and mellow and ended up keeping it way too mellow? 

I mean, if we were talking about someone tributing Madonna, i would find it really hard to think ANYTHING would be good enough... so I get it if his fans don't think it was enough. At the end of the day there are gonna be other tributes so it doesn't really matter.

what song should she have done do you think? Her vocals may be limited but they're nice anyway? 

I think maybe she wanted to keep it classy and mellow and ended up keeping it way too mellow? 

I mean, if we were talking about someone tributing Madonna, i would find it really hard to think ANYTHING would be good enough... so I get it if his fans don't think it was enough. At the end of the day there are gonna be other tributes so it doesn't really matter.

Well, one that would have matched her vocal range would have been more than enough...and Prince has enough of a back catalogue to choose from. Nothing Compares 2 U, although a fine song, was too much for her. And as a result, it was not one of her finest vocal performances. She had the look just right (not counting the hair, lol), but the performance was not as good as it really should have been. I think she was the right person for the tribute, but it was not done the was it truly deserved to be done.

Pathetic tbh

ITAWY! Pathetic as hell!

"Yeah we saw that. Don't worry. We got you."

WTF? Are you fucking kidding with me BET?

We all clearly remember that you shitty awards show throw away Big Fat shit to Our Prince's face and you called it as "Prince tribute."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5telsrIY64

3:36~3:43 Prince's face expression says it all. 

Prince look like he wanted to slit whole member of BET fucking throat! LMAO!

Yeah We saw that. And Prince also Saw your big ugly delusional shit, BET!

That's the reason we are Do worry about your dirty shit.

And No one Do not care about your shitty show. BET! LOL seriously.

They are delusional. "We saw that don't worry? we got you?"

BET Bitch please~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ seat your ugly ass down right now.

Beautiful tribute, really loved the entire performance!  

The ceremony was rebroadcasted on TV this morning here, in France so I just watched it!

(and I didn't read your comments or any spoilers about M performance before watching)

I won't lie: when I heard the first notes of Nothing Compares 2 You I thought she was literally gonna murder it! And, in the end, she made me eat my words!!! Her version was truly beautiful and she sounded amazing!   :luv:

(and I liked that the tribute was done in a simple and respectful way) 

Beautiful tribute, really loved the entire performance!  

The ceremony was rebroadcasted on TV this morning here, in France so I just watched it!

(and I didn't read your comments or any spoilers about M performance before watching)

I won't lie: when I heard the first notes of Nothing Compares 2 You I thought she was literally gonna murder it! And, in the end, she made me eat my words!!! Her version was truly beautiful and she sounded amazing!   :luv:

(and I liked that the tribute was done in a simple and respectful way) 

It was heart-felt, very emotional. She sang from her heart. Her vocal was on point. She nailed it. End of.  :worship:

The 10 Best Performances at the 2016 Billboard Music Awards

No1 The Best performance at the 2016 Billboard Music Awards is Madonna's Prince tribute Performance!

Posted Image

1) Madonna & Stevie Wonder, “Nothing Compares 2 Uâ€/â€Purple Rainâ€
A solemn Questlove, wearing Prince’s love symbol on his lapel, introduced the evening’s tribute with a moment of silence. After Madonna slowly faced the arena from a purple throne, she began to sing “Nothing Compares 2 U†(famously covered by Sinead O’Connor). What the crowd wasn’t prepared for was when Stevie Wonder strolled onstage to help the pop icon lead "Purple Rain. Rihanna, dabbing in time, and The Weeknd were singing along as the whole arena waved their light-up wristbands, which were, of course, purple.

Source : Billboard

Best Facebook post of the day  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

We can love her or leave her the same way we could have loved the Prince while he was alive. One fact remain still: he was a genius and She is the only One who could deliver such an homagé to Him properly. Nothing compares 2 U was written by Prince for one of his parallel project and then, after years brought to success by the same Sinead O'Connor a lot of people called 'till yesterday "the mental ill" but not this mornin'. Madonna used simplicity to homagé a friend of hers usin' one of the song he had written and even performed live once in His life. It doesn't matter if that song was brought to success with pride by Sinead: that song was Him totally and I approve that they decided to use it yesterday night for his Tribute. Tribute means to love someone not necessarily to play on screens photos of him totally: that is why she's done well and best than ever in Her entire career. The use of the backdrop of Best friend is a symbol and if we once start to look at things by heart we can understand why she has chosen it. All other things said are nonsense to me.
Prince Rogers Nelson still lives and he was on stage yesterday night: what we saw was not Madonna but him guidin' her to the light.
Stop sayin' foolish things and start understand that life is love...we may call it black, white, red or purple but that Rain is love totally.
Posted Image

Posted Image

:kissy:  :heart:  :thumbsup:  :worship:

I know that most of Madonna fans do not want to see as her actress.

But I really and desperately want to see her in very good period Movie.

As I said before this look remind me as Oscar from The Rose of Versailles.

I really love it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lWpeoFXN0

Posted Image