Music Vs. American Life (The battle of Mirwais)

Music Vs. American Life  

96 members voted

1. 1. Fav?

• Music
    • American Life

It's a tough choice, but I would have to choose Music.

As someone else mentioned, American Life is a more cohesive album, but it's really Music that has captured my interest over the years. There's a variety on the Music album that is really cool: Madge can go from something danceable like Music or Impressive Instant, to something deep like Paradise (Not for Me) or Gone, all in one album. The range of her songwriting skills, I think, is underrated. Also Music has some really kickass music videos!

I prefer American Life but if it's a production battle Music has much more to offer.

AL has some of the best songs M has ever made and people tend to forget about because they are less noisy. Nothing Fails, for example, Intervention, Xstatic Process. They would have been huge hits by a band like Green Day back then. 

No other song feels like filler except I'm So Stupid. Music's lyrics are not particularly brilliant on the other hand, not on Paradise, not on Impressive Instant nor even Don't Tell me. But the album is the pop gem it is with glorious production and confidence.