Daniel Abraham about Don't Stop

Drum Dub

It's interesting to read this comentaries from Daniel Abraham about the tracks he remixed/produced for Madonna.

About Don't Stop he says:

"Originally, I had several tracks of mini-moog playing all the way through the song, to add a funky/fusion/trippy vibe to the track. The assistant in the session told me "You can't do that on a Madonna record", and sure enough, when Madonna came in the studio and heard the track, she axed the idea. So what is on the album is really an incomplete, stripped-down version of my original idea. Sometimes I wonder if she would like it now though..."

He also makes coments on Fever and Rain.

http://www.danielabraham.net/discography/remixprod/

The music and melody of the song is great, but the lyrics are embarrassing. I get that it's supposed to be a fun song. It's not that deep, but they could've come up with better lyrics. I mean, "Feel it in your body, sing la de da de," seriously?  :cryin:

Wow, I didn't know anything about it. I love the Fever video version!

He also worked on Just a dream.

Don't stop is a little weak imo, too repetitive not only in the lyrics, I was sad when Italian radios chose to air this song instead of Bedtime Story. I always thought it lacked something, I'd love to hear the original funky vibe!

Really interesting stuff - thanks for posting.

His remix of Fever totally saved the song and is a work of genius.

The fact Madonna based her Girlie Show tour versions of Fever and Rain on his remixes, says everything about how good they were!

Interesting he says Rain was his first Madonna project (love the story about her coming in to listen to the remix at midnight with her team!).

The public actually heard his remix of Fever first (via the video).

He also mentions that Madonna asked him to do a remix for Me'Shell NdegeOcello after he did her remixes.

Her band came up with that arrangement.  its not really a remix more than just a live instrument interpretation of the album

Hmmm no, I don't think so, on the Girlie Show VHS/LD/VCD/DVD it has been edited but on London/Fukuoka soundboards you can clearly hear it's a remix, and sounds similar to the ones featured on the single like theN.Y. Hip Hop Mix

• 2 years later...
On 8/29/2016 at 9:47 PM, Independent Thinker said:

The music and melody of the song is great, but the lyrics are embarrassing. I get that it's supposed to be a fun song. It's not that deep, but they could've come up with better lyrics. I mean, "Feel it in your body, sing la de da de," seriously?  :cryin:

And yet SOME can 'intellectualise' lyrics like "I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, in l o v e !"..............?
Sing La de da de.....IS GENIUS !
Nearly as 'fuck-it=it sounds RIGHT'......-ly brilliant as 'sing-y-wing-y'.....no ? :thinker:

On 12/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, deathproof said:

Nah. "boogie-woogie" is silly not simple.

Say what you want but no one, never in this lifetime, will succeed to make me think there is something silly about "Music". It is perfection. I was 18yo at that time, going out a lot, and the impact that song had is just incredible. It was Madonna madness like it was 1985. Everyone, boys, girls, straight, gays... was wearing cowboy hats eveywhere, the track was something totally new, was it funk ? Was it electro ? It was a u.f.o. Music was not only a track, it was a phenomenon... and, last but none least, it has stand the test of time perfectly. The track could be easly released today. It could be released anytime by the way, 1984, 1995, 2018 it would sound fresh.

On 8/29/2016 at 10:00 PM, DickTracy said:

Thank you for sharing this. 

FYI Re: I mean, "Feel it in your body, sing la de da de," seriously?

This tune is on some mid-90s, Tommy Hilfiger wearing, baggy pants with your midriff out shit. Madonna was out for those TLC coins at this point in time, doing the most to get into the pocketbooks and headphones of "African American consumers". 

The "Sing La Di Da Di" is a shoutout to NYC rapper Slick Rick and his timeless party anthem "La Di Da Di" because "we like to party, we don't want no trouble and don't wanna hurt nobody". The carefree ride of Don't Stop is very close to that tune in theme and lyrics, even "come on join the party" is close to that lyric in M's song. 

Hi,
I can't really believe that 'silliness' in Mage101 scores that much ?
Smash Hits magazine in the UK was very silly but it could make some tunes flop more than any glowing review in say the NME.
It's review of 'Hanky Panky' was more or less = "Madonna rhymes Hanky with Panky & Spanky = Hello this woman is 35 ?"
Don't Stop sort of reminds me Ain't No Big Deal, it's kinda faux soul but is much better.
There's 3 different produced demos of that ?
It sounds like a few songs stuck together to me ! xx

6 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Say what you want but no one, never in this lifetime, will succeed to make me think there is something silly about "Music". It is perfection. I was 18yo at that time, going out a lot, and the impact that song had is just incredible. It was Madonna madness like it was 1985. Everyone, boys, girls, straight, gays... was wearing cowboy hats eveywhere, the track was something totally new, was it funk ? Was it electro ? It was a u.f.o. Music was not only a track, it was a phenomenon... and, last but none least, it has stand the test of time perfectly. The track could be easly released today. It could be released anytime by the way, 1984, 1995, 2018 it would sound fresh.

Oh I wasn't denying it as being timeless. Cause it is. It will always remain fresh. But the lyrics are still silly. Doesn't make it a bad song though. 

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

Oh I wasn't denying it as being timeless. Cause it is. It will always remain fresh. But the lyrics are still silly. Doesn't make it a bad song though. 

The lyrics are not silly, they are minimalist, not the same at all. It couldn't be otherwise on "Music". Elaborate lyrics on "Music" would simply ruin the song.

• 5 years later...