Remixed & Revisited?

51Yh5b9giHL.jpg

I love a good EP, Robyn is the queen of them! Although you think you want a full album; they always leave you wanting more. Sometimes filled with great extras or just something between albums, Madonna has pretty much this and yeah also Remixed Prayers and the added EP on Rebel but what the hell is R&R? One horrible unreleased, some remixes and a live song that IMO only works in visual?

n-POOP-EMOJI-ICE-CREAM-200x150.jpg

I like Remixed & Revisited, but I honestly think Madonna and her team wasted a great opportunity with this EP. 

When I first heard about this, I thought we were going to have something like Michael's Blood On The Dance Floor, filled with great club remixes and a few previously unreleased tracks (we still got Your Honesty) but I don't know, it feels very flat and bland to me. 

I always thought that she decided to release R&R as a last ditch attempt to sell more copies of AL, remember it was (rather unfairly) flopping at the time. I do think that they should have put more thought into the track listing, it feels rather rushed and random having 5 remixes, a live performance, and a rather poor unreleased song. 

I like Remixed & Revisited, but I honestly think Madonna and her team wasted a great opportunity with this EP. 

When I first heard about this, I thought we were going to have something like Michael's Blood On The Dance Floor, filled with great club remixes and a few previously unreleased tracks (we still got Your Honesty) but I don't know, it feels very flat and bland to me. 

I really really want her to release rarities collection so badly, I don't want to wait for her pass away like MJ (I mean some of his were fakes) and fill it full of stuff. Because we got Your Honesty, ILNY demo, Let Down Your Guard and it's a sad state of affairs. Even if she misses a bunch - might also have stuff we have never heard.  :worship:

Also love Missy but fuck that shit lol.

This and the whole gap thing was part of the damage control orchestrated by her manager at the time (was it still Carese?) I remember an interview where they explained how her going back to blond, the commercial and the ep and subsequent tour were all designed to restore M's image into a softer one after the AL backlash. Like always these things don't really work ;-)

Damage control at its worst, like everyone else pretty much stated.

AL is my fav album by Madonna and I do suspect it will be appreciated with time, like "Erotica" is nowadays, but the EP spent like one week on my music player of the time. Unreleased track is... Not bad. Not good either. It's there. And that MTV live track sounds like a mess, visuals support it greatly. "Into the Groove" didn't do much for me even back in the 80's, so "Into the Hollywood Groove" carried on that tradition.

EP with 3 unreleased tracks from AL/Hello Suckers sessions accompanied by some amazing new remixes of singles that were out there would be perfect. Imagine "The Game", "Miss You", and "If You Go Away", all polished to perfection with "Die Another Day", "American Life", "Hollywood", "Love Profusion" and "Nothing Fails" remixes, or maybe one of them even in demo version?

Now THAT would still be on my iPhone on daily basis, I'm quite sure.

I always thought that she decided to release R&R as a last ditch attempt to sell more copies of AL, remember it was (rather unfairly) flopping at the time. I do think that they should have put more thought into the track listing, it feels rather rushed and random having 5 remixes, a live performance, and a rather poor unreleased song.

No doubt about it. And the cover didn't help. Just awful!

The AL era lacked a coherent look, the singles were all a mess.

But why Damage control? the explicit video aside she's brunette, singing what a good majority of AL on the press tour non of which are scandalous and playing acoustic guitar to Mother & Father - it was a new age LAP but I guess the first video sets the tone? That replacement was 10x worse I guess the backlash was the boring flags, it was for me lol.

gif19-madonna-american-life.gif

She was transcending mainstream into unexplored, personal topics and a heavier harsher and complex sound with AL, especially after Music and ROL when she was literally on top unrivaled. People really wanted her to make disposable pop garbaj like B.Spears and all her upcoming, tragic American collaborators. The Gap commercial was a relatively appropriate slide back into "normal America" because Dolce & Gabbana should sometimes stay in her closet. It is and was totally believable that Madonna would wear mom jeans with Missy Elliot of all people. The Timbaland/Missy connection is so fucking money grab tap dance transparent it's a stain on her overall musical legacy and it's a shame as they are all so talented. "Best Night" is her top, marginally acceptable Timbaland tune and she didn't even have to work with him to make it. Funny that this is already the "good old days". Still at Maverick/WB this was a useless keepsake piece made for the fans and to capitalize on that ridiculous commercial. "Where you get them jeans?" This was pre-MP3 I think, barely.

She was transcending mainstream into unexplored, personal topics and a heavier harsher and complex sound with AL, especially after Music and ROL when she was literally on top unrivaled. People really wanted her to make disposable pop garbaj like B.Spears and all her upcoming, tragic American collaborators. The Gap commercial was a relatively appropriate slide back into "normal America" because Dolce & Gabbana should sometimes stay in her closet. It is and was totally believable that Madonna would wear mom jeans with Missy Elliot of all people. The Timbaland/Missy connection is so fucking money grab tap dance transparent it's a stain on her overall musical legacy and it's a shame as they are all so talented. "Best Night" is her top, marginally acceptable Timbaland tune and she didn't even have to work with him to make it. Funny that this is already the "good old days". Still at Maverick/WB this was a useless keepsake piece made for the fans and to capitalize on that ridiculous commercial. "Where you get them jeans?" This was pre-MP3 I think, barely.

Yeah but at the same time she just continued to work with Mirwais who gave her the biggest worldwide Madonna hit in a decade. The last time she kept a producer as long was Erotica and that was a commercial disappointment as well.

Back then a lot of fans complained about the simplicity of Madonna's lyrics in Music, Impressive Instant, Amazing etc, but that's what gave her radio airplay and sales...

I 100% agree! 😃

She has all these fantastic demos from 20 years before R&R (some incredible ones from AL) and only one gets chosen, ....and a crappy one at that! Hmmmmmmm. Disappointing.

I did enjoy the rock remixes of AL and LP a lot. I would have liked an EP of the entire album reworked in that way. I didn't really like the NKM remix (the Above and Beyond remix is sooo much better IMO), although the NF Nevins mix is ok. Some amazing remixes could have been used.

The Like A Virgin/ Hollywood was entertaining to watch and was a good visual performance, but I dunno, I didn't like the Think White Duke Remix being used. It's pretty repetitive and tuneless as a remix anyway, but even live I can't say I ever wanted to hear it again after i saw the performance.

There are some great live performances from over the years that could have and should have been used instead. I get why it was chosen though as album promotion. But TBH, I'd of rather had some of the tracks she did live during AL promotion being featured instead.

Into The Hollywood Groove should have been left as a 30 second commercial. I don't think a full version was needed and it certainly didn't need a release on R&R.

Ideally I think it should have been a much more cohesive project, focusing on the American Life album and be a 2 CD set featuring Rock/club/alternative mixes on CD1, with AL promo Live performances and AL demos on CD2. Or something like that anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

There was so much that was planned for around that time, including the box set, remixes from Rauhofer, Tracy Young and Calderone spanning her career, a new Book with outtakes etc... And all that came from it was r&r and the nkm book. Awful waste of time and money.

Yes correct, I forgot about that! There was heaps planned but never eventuated. I think M moved on, she focused on the RIT started working on new music and the defunct musical which spawned the early roots of COAD. 

The remixes on R&R i agree were pretty terrible and its overall a very incoherrent EP for sure ? I disagree about AL being an album that will be appreciated more now rather than then ?(A la Erotica) the biggest problem with AL is first the title track(I think Jellybean summed it up best we he called it garbage ?)so straight away it doesnt start the album off well -  I always thought the remixes were way better than the album versions on AL - Love Profusion hells kitchen was my favourite plus i love stuart prices mix of hollywood and the felix da housecat mix of AL - the rest of the album is a bore though ? Again she held on to Mirwais too much for this record but one thing i love about M is she always tries something different and alternate and im happy that some fans love this record(Just like the ones who love HC) I always pray one day we get a proper box set of unreleased stuff but then we have been saying for years about BA, RIT & VT dvd/blurays and still nothing ? :(