Discuss-New Contract News vs. New Album News

LUKESAVANT

Hi! =)

I started this thread and have read all replies. You, my friend are on to something here. Great response.

I was irritated when she went to interscope, just because of tumultuous history of the label going from an indie to a super-corporate conglomerate, but I hoped that M would find her niche with the Cherrytree records division. No such luck. I really feel that Interscope's failings as a label/distributor really boil down to Live Nation's abandonment of Madonna's new music offerings.

Oh well. I hope they get it right next go round. Whether there's another studio album owed or it's fulfilled, at least we know the contract will end. And I can't wait.

If was the case Madonna shoulda started digging hard in the vaults for her tours (mostly Re-Invention World Tour for me please!) to release lol. But I bet they make it new music since there would be more exposure and money to be made from a new album.

Her live album releases have been a hit and miss investment on the US charts.

I'm Going To Tell You A Secret - 33

The Confessions Tour - 15

Sticky & Sweet Tour - 10

MDNA World Tour - 90

It's not so much about charting. It's about contracted albums, whether they chart or not. Just look at all the different formats of the Rebel Heart album, the record company wasn't counting on having a surplus of unsold cds laying around. Most contracts have options, and If there weren't any contractual obligations, or at the very least a distribution agreement for live recordings, why release the live album at all? Not to mention it would be just odd to have separate deals with the same record label. In my opinion, releasing the live albums are an early-out option for the contract. For both the label and M.

I dont think she's leaving live nation you guys.  Her manager is the president of a Live Nation company, Maverick.

Live Nation is her promoter

Maverick (live nation) is her management

She contracted with Interscope for music distribution rights.

Am i wrong with any of this?

That said, if she decides to leave her manager altogether, then I fully support that.

Wasn't Daft Punk working on some stuff for her years ago?

Curious if those tracks would be hot enough for a new release/production.

And I would add Cassius. Loving their latest release "Ibifornia".(funky guitars mixed with raw dance beats)

Add Stromae and his team for songwriting, and I would be happy.

No idea about chart potential though.

ONE CAN DREAM.

It's time for my girl to get back to basics! Drop all of this generic sounding dance music, call Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray up, start writing music that connects to the listener, and create a masterpiece reflecting the place you are in now! I have been a fan since 1985 and stuck with you through it ALL. I want Madonna to regain the respect from industry peers and contemporaries as the songwriter and musician! You have outlasted them ALL! Its time to reflect, celebrate and give us MADONNA! No collaborators, rap cameos and other nonsense! You did it many times before, Mo (True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, Music, Confessions on A Dancefloor)! I'll be waiting! Your legacy is undeniably forever cemented my dear. #madonnanewalbum2017  :heart:

Madonna's career was majorly affected in the states by American Life, radio turned their back on her form then on. Now she just isn't relevant to radio anymore, so even if they like her music, they won't play her.

As for her contract, This was in the Wall Street Journal in 2007. Not sure if more accurate details came about, but it seems she isn't held to making albums, unless she wants her money. LN are about touring, so it seems if Madonna doesn't want to do another album they just won't pay her. There doesn't seem to be a clause that holds her to recording anything.

This also explains all the product endorsements in her name, such as the skin care and perfume, since Madonna sold that right to them.

• $17.5 million: A general advance -- money Madonna gets just for being Madonna.

• $50 to $60 million: Advances for up to three new albums. This money only gets handed over when Madonna delivers the music, so it's possible that LYV will won't have to pay all of this out. Perhaps the Material Girl won't be moved to record another 36 to 45 more songs.
• $50 million in cash and stock for the right to promote Madonna's concerts and to license her name. Note that Live Nation still has to share concert and licensing revenue: It will give her 90% of concert sales and 50% of licensing money it collects.

-----------------------------------------

I have found nothing anywhere about LN putting Madonna under a touring contract. Though many fans have stated she has to go on a certain number of tours. Where did this info come from? If LN really are not getting money from her albums and only have to pay an advance if Madonna actually makes an album that means she has no recording contract.

Interscope are merely her distributers, not her recording company, as Madonna has stated herself she doesn't have a recording company, not in the traditional sense. So we can't expect an album unless Madonna wants to make one.

I also have to add this from npr.org from 2010.

The first 360 or multi-rights deals that gained wide attention were not between artists and record labels  but between performers and the giant concert promoter Live Nation. Madonna signed a 360 deal with Live Nation in 2007 that landed the performer a reported $120 million over 10 years and gave Live Nation a share of her touring revenue — but no money from recorded music

I have found nothing anywhere about LN putting Madonna under a touring contract. Though many fans have stated she has to go on a certain number of tours. Where did this info come from? If LN really are not getting money from her albums and only have to pay an advance if Madonna actually makes an album that means she has no recording contract.

I posted this in another thread:

http://www.ticketnews.com/Madonna-to-embark-on-first-tour-under-Live-Nation-deal/

The contract includes four tours, three albums, merchandise and other revenue sources, and makes Madonna the founding artist in Live Nation’s new Artist Nation division. “Hard Candy†was the 11th and last under her expiring deal with Warner Bros., and her next album will be under the Live Nation banner.

Everyone seem to forget that Madonna herself wanted to release Rebel Heart as 2 separate albums, which is likely because she wanted to complete her contract since she knows album sales are in the toilet now.

Okay this from the New York Post last year. The only source I have found stating Madonna has a tour contract. All other details from everywhere else never mentioned she had to go on a certain amount of tours over the 10 years.

In fact the contract was explained more that Live Nation had right to a percentage of revenue and the right to licence her name/image (hence the gyms and lotions etc) Over 10 years, but none suggested she had to tour a certain number of times. Here is the quote from NYP

The curtain goes up on Madonna’s “Rebel Heart†tour on Wednesday, and those who have seen rehearsals at the Nassau Coliseum call it brilliant. That should come as no surprise considering what the Material Girl has riding on the 64-show global arena trek.

Her 10-year partnership with concert-promoter Live Nation expires in 2017, just nine months after she wraps up her third and final tour under the deal. And no one expects the soup-to-nuts 360 deal that guaranteed Madonna an unprecedented $120 million in 2007 to be renewed in its current incarnation.

I posted this in another thread:

http://www.ticketnews.com/Madonna-to-embark-on-first-tour-under-Live-Nation-deal/

The contract includes four tours, three albums, merchandise and other revenue sources, and makes Madonna the founding artist in Live Nation’s new Artist Nation division. “Hard Candy†was the 11th and last under her expiring deal with Warner Bros., and her next album will be under the Live Nation banner.

Everyone seem to forget that Madonna herself wanted to release Rebel Heart as 2 separate albums, which is likely because she wanted to complete her contract since she knows album sales are in the toilet now.

Okay so this is different the other sources, thanks. Though again it says three albums but does not state the caveat, Madonna only gets the money once she delivers the music. If she doesn't deliver an album she is not violating her contract, LN has the right to refuse payment. So again she isn't obligated to record, I know she will, but she isn't obligated to.

The Post also call it her third and final, while ticket news says she has four tours for LN. Is it possible LN really have allowed S&S Leg I and II to be counted as two tours? Hence the discrepancy. 

I

Madonna signed a 360 deal with Live Nation in 2007 that landed the performer a reported $120 million over 10 years and gave Live Nation a share of her touring revenue — but no money from recorded music

Oh so that's the reason Live Nation didn't F-king care about her new music.

"no money from recorded music."

She seriously should move on to Real record company.

I really need her no.1 billboard chart single again.

She deserve it.

Oh so that's the reason Live Nation didn't F-king care about her new music.

"no money from recorded music."

She seriously should move on to Real record company.

I really need her no.1 billboard chart single again.

She deserve it.

She does, but will never get it. Radio refuses to play her and Billboard weigh the Hot 100 heavily towards radio airplay as well as sales and streaming. Radio is still a major factor in charting. 

Some more stuff I found just to give an in depth picture

FORTUNE.COM

The execs didn't offer up exact figures of the deal -- citing a confidentiality agreement with the material girl (so maybe none of the released details can be seen as 100% correct)

The problem, he said, is that people are viewing the deal as if it's a record deal -- and everyone knows the record business is suffering.

Instead, he said, investors need to realize that the rights deal will be "cross collateralized" across dozens of products -- ticket sales, DVDs, books, t-shirts, clothing lines, streaming videos, private concerts. "Anything you can think of we can do,"

from BILLBOARD.COM (Interview with Michael Rapino President and CEO of LN) 2016

"We're not in the rights business. Back then we didn't have any secret sauce on how to distribute that record than somebody else. That's why we thus sold Shakira and Madonna back to the label to recoup our record investment."

(So her 3 album deal may have been renegotiated and is possibly with Interscope. This confuses me more, lol)

The Post also call it her third and final, while ticket news says she has four tours for LN. Is it possible LN really have allowed S&S Leg I and II to be counted as two tours? Hence the discrepancy. 

That would make no sense at all, it was the same tour.

They might have altered the contract into 3 tours instead of 4, that's a way more logical explanation.

As for a record label, none of them will be able to give Madonna a hit anymore. Some of you seem to forget her last actual hit was eight and a half years ago and she only had 3 worldwide hits in the past 15 years!

That would make no sense at all, it was the same tour.

They might have altered the contract into 3 tours instead of 4, that's a way more logical explanation.

As for a record label, none of them will be able to give Madonna a hit anymore. Some of you seem to forget her last actual hit was eight and a half years ago and she only had 3 worldwide hits in the past 15 years!

Look at it another way, if she toured every year and called it Sticky and Sweet would Live Nation say Sorry you have only given us one tour. 

Look at it another way, if she toured every year and called it Sticky and Sweet would Live Nation say Sorry you have only given us one tour. 

But that's not how it happened, it was the same show with 3 songs replaced and just over 6 months after the previous leg. The press release was about "European cities she hasn't visited yet". Like I said it earlier, those dates let her pass Celine Dion for the highest grossing solo tour.

I don't even get why this is an argument though when she only released 2 albums since Celebration, obviously needing another one so she is almost sure to tour that one (even if it includes more old songs than Rebel Heart!)...

But that's not how it happened, it was the same show with 3 songs replaced and just over 6 months after the previous leg. The press release was about "European cities she hasn't visited yet". Like I said it earlier, those dates let her pass Celine Dion for the highest grossing solo tour.

I don't even get why this is an argument though when she only released 2 albums since Celebration, obviously needing another one so she is almost sure to tour that one (even if it includes more old songs than Rebel Heart!)...

We do know there was a confidentiality clause which means none of the info that hasn't come directly from the parties involved can be seen as 100% accurate. The leaked part of the contract stated she isn't obliged to record an album and LN aren't obliged to pay her unless she does, meaning she doesn't have to record anything if she doesn't want to. Add to that the fact her contract for albums was sold to Interscope (which has never been mentioned before) and we have no idea again what the deal is.

I wanna put the touring thing another way - If Madonna said she was going out on tour and she and LN agreed to 45 shows and she completed that, then came back and said I am going to do another 40 next year, that would be two tours. If however they agreed to 80 shows and she said fine but split that over two years then it would count as 1 tour. It has nothing to do with setlist, countries visited, costume changes or what kind of shows she puts on. It is to do with her fulfilling her agreement for the amount of shows per tour. 

There' no way she's finished with Live Nation, we would have already heard about it, she still has one tour and one album to release with them, my question is just if they are going to be the last ones...

In the meanwhile,considered the long waiting we have to face I'm afraid, any new f...king demo to share for soidarity anyone  :smile:  :smile:  :smile: ?

There' no way she's finished with Live Nation, we would have already heard about it, she still has one tour and one album to release with them, my question is just if they are going to be the last ones...

In the meanwhile,considered the long waiting we have to face I'm afraid, any new f...king demo to share for soidarity anyone  :smile:  :smile:  :smile: ?

There have been reports since last year suggesting she is moving on. Either way it was a 10 year deal that is up next year and there has been no mention of a resigning of a contract. We no nothing lol.

I will say this. I am confident she will record another album and tour again. Nothing is 100% known for sure, I have come to realise that.

I also want to add LN's deal with Madonna was probably more about dates than tours. LN wouldn't care how many new shows she stages, they only care about dates played. So more than likely they struck a deal with her to perform a certain number of dates over the 10 year period, which is why she is probably doing 80+ dates per tour. 

I thought Warner was back involved somewhere already. She'll keep recording you don't need a label any more to distribute music.

For sure she will keep recording and touring, whether her contract is done or not. She isn't the type of person to just sit around and wonder what she is going to do with her life, lol. Whatever the case is with her LN contract, she would be making plans.