Strike a Pose documentary dvd

popsong77

got it from a dutch site but have no idea how to convert stuff.

sorry to say...but the movie felt like a waste of time...at least for me.

i feel sorry for the dancers and their HIV stories are truly heartbreaking.

but all in all, very very very "special" interest. i didn't enjoy it much.

if anybody wants my DVD (region 2), PM me.

The movie has some interesting bits, but also some repetitions, it is not very clear about the legal proceeding against M and about how "real" was everything.

They say they wont' focus on M but she is everywhere and at the end you miss her precence (and Niki and Donna's anf other staff members even) at the final reunion... What I really loved was the full Keith Haring speech in NY, that is when I realized they should have used more BAT footage from all over the world rather than showing TOD scenes even more than once.

I enjoyed watching it though. Also my dvd is region 2.

• 9 months later...
I watched this on DVD last night and it's a beautiful moving film. Jose Gutierer has barley aged in 25 years and is totally adorable. Ditto Slam who has a very moving story. It also covers the lawsuit that followed the Truth or dare film. While the first hour is separate interviews and full of reflection and looking at their lives now, the last 20 mins has a wonderful reunion. If you are a fan of Truth or dare or the Blonde Ambition tour I'd definitely recommend this. 

Though if you get it, get the region 1 version as apparently the R2 version is dubbed and you can't switch it to English.

• 1 month later...

I just watched the film on Netflix and it was great. 

I think my favorite thing about the movie is that it humanizes these guys. I understand why some of them sued Madonna back then. In Truth or Dare, they're portrayed in a very one-dimensional way. They were clearly being used by her to make her own social/political statements. You either only see them as flamboyant, or in Oliver's case, homophobic. And when the world judges you based on a small percentage of your personality, it must be tough. Especially when all you wanted to do was dance in a show. Sure, they knew they were being filmed for a documentary. But I doubt they knew how it was going to be edited and how they would come across. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand where Madonna was coming from and I think it's great that she made those statements. But I can also see how it would be difficult for them. The great thing about this film is that you see them in a more human way. You get to see their humor, their vulnerability, their pain, their past and present.

I also really loved the tribute to Keith Haring. It was nice to hear her whole speech and you could tell she was tearing up on stage. She obviously really cared about him and missed him.

I do wish Nikki and Donna made an appearance. It would've been nice to see them join the guys at the final reunion. 

I didn't really wish Madonna was there. I doubt they even asked her. And even if they did, I don't think she would've accepted the invitation. She doesn't strike me as the type who would participate in something nostalgic like that. As nostalgic as she's been lately, she still appears to be more invested in the here and now.