Madonna Is Billboard's 2016 Woman of the Year

Luiz Ribeiro

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfbG9OkiPM&app=desktop

Madonna delivers a powerful speech while accepting her Billboard Woman of the Year 2016 award. In Madonna's speech, she talks about her musical inspirations and the lesson she learned from her idol David Bowie. "My real muse was David Bowie. He embodied male and female spirit and that suited me just fine. He made me think there were no rules" She then goes on to speak about feminism and the inequality with how men and women are treating in the music industry when it comes to sexual expression. "There are no rules -- if you're a boy. There are rules if you're a girl." She spoke of her rough experience living in New York City was in the 80s and she was a repeated victim of rape and sexual assault. She so made some questionable remarks about how she was about to outlast her peers, ""I think the most controversial thing I have ever done is to stick around. Michael is gone. Tupac is gone. Prince is gone. Whitney is gone. Amy Winehouse is gone. David Bowie is gone. But I'm still standing. I'm one of the lucky ones and every day I count my blessings."

I read the speach and i must say she is truly hurt by all that happend to her in this Rebel Heart Era!

She has gained weight and i wonder if it comes from medication? She seems to not beeing able to handle

all the ctitics that well anymore! i really hope from the bottom of my heart that she is well! But i fear that the

Troubles with Rocco and the media and hatred he had to endure begins to show! She is no wonderwoman

and she doesnt have to be! anyone of us would have given in a long time ago i guess, at least i would have!

No one is that strong not at 58!

I agree with a lot of what she says. She should be appreciated more for still being here, unlike some of her peers. And she does seem to unfairly get a hard time. 

But there are other things she says that I don't agree with. Women aren't the only ones who experience ageism, men do too. I don't think it has anything to do with gender. Sharon Stone is Madonna's age and when she posed nude last year, the NY Post applauded her. They said it was inspiring for a woman her age to be so confident in her body. She can get away with it, but Madonna can't?

And it's laughable to me that she says being a female entertainer is the equivalent of being a "doormat." Maybe that was true when she started her career, but not anymore. The majority of artists in popular music right now are female. They're running the show, make no mistake about it.

And I don't think it's fair to say the reason Hillary Clinton lost the election is because of sexism, but that's another discussion... 

I read the speach and i must say she is truly hurt by all that happend to her in this Rebel Heart Era!

She has gained weight and i wonder if it comes from medication? She seems to not beeing able to handle

all the ctitics that well anymore! i really hope from the bottom of my heart that she is well! But i fear that the

Troubles with Rocco and the media and hatred he had to endure begins to show! She is no wonderwoman

and she doesnt have to be! anyone of us would have given in a long time ago i guess, at least i would have!

Hmm. I had not thought about her being on Medication and It does put on weight. She's really had a rough time since her Rebel Heart music was stolen in leaked and all the other problems that she has had. I hope she is ok but I think she is really strong but she is only human.

Women aren't the only ones who experience ageism, men do too. I don't think it has anything to do with gender. Sharon Stone is Madonna's age and when she posed nude last year, the NY Post applauded her. They said it was inspiring for a woman her age to be so confident in her body. She can get away with it, but Madonna can't?

And it's laughable to me that she says being a female entertainer is the equivalent of being a "doormat." Maybe that was true when she started her career, but not anymore. The majority of artists in popular music right now are female. They're running the show, make no mistake about it.

And I don't think it's fair to say the reason Hillary Clinton lost the election is because of sexism, but that's another discussion... 

Your comment only proves her point really. Saying "men experience this/that/whatever too" is a way of silencing women, minimising their experience and is disruptive to the discussion about women's issues.

Your comment only proves her point really. Saying "men experience this/that/whatever too" is a way of silencing women, minimising their experience and is disruptive to the discussion about women's issues.

Your comment only proves my point. I never said these issues don't exist in women's lives. I never said the stories of women who experience them isn't valid. All I said was that they're not gender-based and a person's biological sex has nothing to do with them. 

You, however, seem to be silencing me and other men by saying these are "women's issues." 

I'm not minimizing anyone's experience, that's what you're doing.

Your comment only proves my point. I never said these issues don't exist in women's lives. I never said the stories of women who experience them isn't valid. All I said was that they're not gender-based and a person's biological sex has nothing to do with them. 

You, however, seem to be silencing me and other men by saying these are "women's issues." 

I'm not minimizing anyone's experience, that's what you're doing.

Here's a woman, Madonna, who's lived a bit longer than both of us and who says she experienced sexism. It's not for you to agree or disagree with, that's her truth and that's what she feels. Crying out "but men experience sexism too" completely ignores her experience and stops the conversation there. It's no different from shouting "but white people experience racism too" every time racial issues are raised.  

Here's a woman, Madonna, who's lived a bit longer than both of us and who says she experienced sexism. It's not for you to agree or disagree with, that's her truth and that's what she feels. Crying out "but men experience sexism too" completely ignores her experience and stops the conversation there. It's no different from shouting "but white people experience racism too" every time racial issues are raised.  

I don't care how long Madonna has lived, I am entitled to my opinion no matter what the topic is. It's not for me to agree or disagree with?? You're proving my point even further. I am saying men experience the same thing because Madonna has said that they don't. I don't think it has anything to do with sexism. I have valid reason to say that. It's clear that I'm not minimizing the issue when women experience it. Did the Sharon Stone example I gave go over your head?  

Again, the only one trying to minimize anyone's experiences here is you.

I don't care how long Madonna has lived, I am entitled to my opinion no matter what the topic is. It's not for me to agree or disagree with?? You're proving my point even further. I am saying men experience the same thing because Madonna has said that they don't. I don't think it has anything to do with sexism. I have valid reason to say that. It's clear that I'm not minimizing the issue when women experience it. Did the Sharon Stone example I gave go over your head?  

Again, the only one trying to minimize anyone's experiences here is you.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however uninformed or misguided. Yet men aren't the ones who get paid less performing the same job as a woman; men are never in position where the possibility of them having children in the future affects whether they will be hired for a job or not, men aren't branded "sluts" for having a sexual past; it's women who are denied positions of power in most major religions, not men. We can talk about men experiencing same levels of sexism when we get to a point where we have to start teaching men what not to wear and how not to act in order NOT to be raped rather than girls. Until then you might as well be saying the Earth is flat - it may be your opinion but it doesn't make it a fact :wink: . 

Yes shes 58 so obviously her body is gonna change, she's still in great shape regardless. Honestly i feel like she handles things incredibly well. I feel like she's always had moments of being angry/hurt at critics but we only see it now because of social media. I feel she's in a better place now than she was in 2014 for instance. None of us know though so it's better not to speculate. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however uninformed or misguided. Yet men aren't the ones who get paid less performing the same job as a woman; men are never in position where the possibility of them having children in the future affects whether they will be hired for a job or not, men aren't branded "sluts" for having a sexual past; it's women who are denied positions of power in most major religions, not men. We can talk about men experiencing same levels of sexism when we get to a point where we have to start teaching men what not to wear and how not to act in order NOT to be raped rather than girls. Until then you might as well be saying the Earth is flat - it may be your opinion but it doesn't make it a fact :wink: . 

Madonna's speech didn't mention any of the subjects you just brought up, so I will stay on topic.

Madonna expressed an opinion, not a fact. She mentioned the criticism she received. That is factual and I agree with her in that it's unfair. However, when she says she receives this criticism because she's a woman, she is expressing an opinion. And I am entitled to express my opinion in disagreeing with her. When she states that men don't experience ageism, she is stating it as fact and she is wrong. So I am right in correcting her. It is not my opinion that men don't experience ageism, it is a fact.

Madonna's speech didn't mention any of the subjects you just brought up, so I will stay on topic.

Madonna expressed an opinion, not a fact. She mentioned the criticism she received. That is factual and I agree with her in that it's unfair. However, when she says she receives this criticism because she's a woman, she is expressing an opinion. And I am entitled to express my opinion in disagreeing with her. When she states that men don't experience ageism, she is stating it as fact and she is wrong. So I am right in correcting her. It is not my opinion that men don't experience ageism, it is a fact.

Yeah, but I've never seen people criticizing Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen or any other male singer that is as old/older than Madonna....so again, they might suffer ageism, but not as nearly as Madonna....so eventually, this ends up being a gender thing....just my opinion

Yeah, but I've never seen people criticizing Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen or any other male singer that is as old/older than Madonna....so again, they might suffer ageism, but not as nearly as Madonna....so eventually, this ends up being a gender thing....just my opinion

Well, when the Red Hot Chili Peppers performed at the Superbowl, I saw several articles criticizing them for performing shirtless at their age.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/02/red-hot-chili-peppers-ruined-bruno-mars-super-bowl-halftime-performance/

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/red-hot-chili-peppers-fans-tell-band-to-put-a-shirt-on-during-super-bowl-half-time-performance/news-story/250dc2bc925c874a781e274dceefc2c6

Plus, there are other examples in the media targeting older men. Check out this skit from the Ellen show:

The "bad ingredients" were represented by men who were middle-aged and not conventionally attractive. They were kicked out. The "good ingredients" were represented by fit, young men with six pack abs. I think that speaks for itself.

And, as I said earlier, there are older women who pose nude and get away with it. The media will look at them and say it's inspiring, while these same media outlets will bash Madonna for doing the same thing.

http://pagesix.com/2015/08/14/stunning-sharon-stone-cant-get-a-date/

http://www.eonline.com/news/686450/sharon-stone-poses-nude-at-age-57-in-harper-s-bazaar-i-m-aware-that-my-ass-looks-like-a-bag-of-flapjacks

So, no, I don't think it's a gender thing.

I don't think that her sudden gained weight comes from medication.

I think that it's from that brat son's trouble. And it became to "stress eating."

I think that she still handle very well all the critics because she is Queen of media and Pro.

but her own son's problem is very different thing to compare to work. 

So that's the reason she get stressed and do stress eating.

I don't get that fans which keep saying "oh she's more beautiful now! her billboard woman of the year awards looks just perfect!"

Really?

I mean that suites looks hideous and that ugly suites even can't hide her weird body Proportions.

her belly looks like Four month pregnant woman!

I don't care what she had done her face because you have to something done in your face (especially if you are in the entertainment industry) because you can't beat the time! 

But Body is different thing! that is one thing we can handle and control it!

And my Madonna is the Icon of the strong healthy woman which very well known as 100% handle her body perfectly!

So watching Madonna lost control of her body is really scared me.

Don't bring her 58 year old age as excuse. Jane Fonda is born 1937 and she still own and control her body perfectly.

So I really hope that our The One and only Queen of Pop would control her body 100% again very soon.

if you guys read my whole posts you guys probably know that I always have been pro Madonna.

My posts are always positive about What Madonna doing and always be at the Madonna side.

Like a one of crazy hard core fan. This is from that positive hardcore fan, so this is really serious situation.

As I said before I don't want to her to be "thin".

I don't even want to her body to be like Confession tour leotard body or MDNA tour body.

I just want her body look like a beginning of Rebel heart tour healthy boty. That's all.