Björk

Fighter

During the pandemic i went back to listen to all her albums and Maxi singles from the 90's and i remembered why i fell so hard for her, i had almost gave up Madonna at this point. She was so good, fun and exciting. Now she's just so boring, repetitive, predictable and a caricature of herself. Why she keeps singing this way by detaching all the syllabes on every song like she just learnt how to read ? They all sounded the same on that concert. Give her some vodka and bring fun and inventive Bjork back. She died as an artist when she started believing her own bullshit about being an artist. 

9 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

During the pandemic i went back to listen to all her albums and Maxi singles from the 90's and i remembered why i fell so hard for her, i had almost gave up Madonna at this point. She was so good, fun and exciting. Now she's just so boring, repetitive, predictable and a caricature of herself. Why she keeps singing this way by detaching all the syllabes on every song like she just learnt how to read ? They all sounded the same on that concert. Give her some vodka and bring fun and inventive Bjork back. She died as an artist when she started believing her own bullshit about being an artist. 

Well she was young... But of course after Vespertine, her carrer is not as interesting as before.

What you say about detaching syllabes is so true. And most of the time she just sings 3 repetive notes. 

3 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

Well she was young... But of course after Vespertine, her carrer is not as interesting as before.

What you say about detaching syllabes is so true. And most of the time she just sings 3 repetive notes. 

It's terrible , Hyperbalald, Bachelorette etc..sound the same in this concert because of this (and she does that too on record, the last one being annoying for this)

8 hours ago, slutpride said:

Well, I'm really glad you guys are putting an artist who's been singing for 45 years in her place.

So she doesn't sing the right way and isn't fun anymore... Sucks to be her.

To put her in her place ? She does not need my approval. It's just my opinion, we only have opinions here. I've been following Björk since the last Sugarcubes album right before her solo career. I've seen her 3 times live, i still got all her records from the 90's. I was a huge fan but things started to get boring (for me) around the release of that horrid movie "Dancer in the dark". The overpromo for Vespertine (at least here in France) was also too much. The last thing she  did i truly enjoyed was Triumph of a heart and its video.  She, IN MY OPINION, regarding what I enjoyed about her, lost it around that time during her marriage to Matthew Barney. I'm sorry if my opinion is not the same as yours but  neither are the truth in the end. It's all subjective. I used to love Bjork because she was unpretentious and now she's the opposite of that IMO. It does not suck to be her, she's an artist doing what she loves doing the exact way she wants to do it. I just, personally, don't connect to it anymore. It's weird when you've such a fan. It's almost like love when you see an ex and things are different. She's still a unique artist.  I have the same feeling with PJ Harvey. The artist i saw live the most. I stopped liking her albums with Let England Shake, she also started singing differently with this annoying high pitch and she too started being pretentious. There seems to be a pattern with all the female artists i love the most (including the one this forum is dedicated to which i think suffers from the same fate).

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

To put her in her place ? She does not need my approval. It's just my opinion, we only have opinions here. I've been following Björk since the last Sugarcubes album right before her solo career. I've seen her 3 times live, i still got all her records from the 90's. I was a huge fan but things started to get boring (for me) around the release of that horrid movie "Dancer in the dark". The overpromo for Vespertine (at least here in France) was also too much. The last thing she  did i truly enjoyed was Triumph of a heart and its video.  She, IN MY OPINION, regarding what I enjoyed about her, lost it around that time during her marriage to Matthew Barney. I'm sorry if my opinion is not the same as yours but  neither are the truth in the end. It's all subjective. I used to love Bjork because she was unpretentious and now she's the opposite of that IMO. It does not suck to be her, she's an artist doing what she loves doing the exact way she wants to do it. I just, personally, don't connect to it anymore. It's weird when you've such a fan. It's almost like love when you see an ex and things are different. She's still a unique artist.  I have the same feeling with PJ Harvey. The artist i saw live the most. I stopped liking her albums with Let England Shake, she also started singing differently with this annoying high pitch and she too started being pretentious. There seems to be a pattern with all the female artists i love the most (including the one this forum is dedicated to which i think suffers from the same fate).

I get where youre coming from and Bjork has deffo gone on her own artistic non fan or radio friendly journey which has lost her a lot of fans. (She doesnt seem to care, so why should we?) I think Vulcinara was great and mutual core before that but yes fr my personal taste hers has differed, I absolutely ADORED Dancer in the dark though and Selmasongs.   Were all different. This last flute crap wasnt for me but to each their own. Lets see what shes coming out with in May. Im sure us older fans will still give it a try even if its once.  I really didnt like biophillia either but it was great live, I think thats what it was supposed to be for, not the cd You were so close you could smell her perfume. 

I don't know if this has been discussed but I found this about her new alba and....

I heard that the concept was the ocean and everything that is left unexplored in it. The beats and Sounds would be made up of sounds that the water makes. Obviously a runout and to be taken with a grain of salt 

That would actually be pretty great but I'm happy with whatever lol

On 10/15/2021 at 12:57 AM, Roland Barthes said:

I have the same feeling with PJ Harvey. The artist i saw live the most. I stopped liking her albums with Let England Shake

Funny how opinions can differ so much. Let England Shake was the album that made me a fan and made me rediscover her previous records , especially Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, which was also an album that had opinions divided. However, I do get your point with artists getting too pretentious. I can still appreciate the production of Björk's music, but with Vespertine I felt the joy was starting to become secondary to production tricks. On the other hand I do appreciate an artist playing with boundaries and looking for ways to evolve. But for me it's important the listener can enjoy the ride. With Björk I sometimes feel she puts up barricades between herself and the listener, which makes her distant. With Madonna I think it's the other way around. Her being ahead of the game stopped with Hard Candy. After that she kind of became basic in a way. With Madame X she tried, but I feel the music became secondary to her message which, at times, was out of touch. Where Let England Shake, in my opinion, succeeds with its political message, Madonna's message was too clinical although well intended.

1 hour ago, Fontainebleau said:

Funny how opinions can differ so much. Let England Shake was the album that made me a fan and made me rediscover her previous records , especially Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, which was also an album that had opinions divided. However, I do get your point with artists getting too pretentious. I can still appreciate the production of Björk's music, but with Vespertine I felt the joy was starting to become secondary to production tricks. On the other hand I do appreciate an artist playing with boundaries and looking for ways to evolve. But for me it's important the listener can enjoy the ride. With Björk I sometimes feel she puts up barricades between herself and the listener, which makes her distant. With Madonna I think it's the other way around. Her being ahead of the game stopped with Hard Candy. After that she kind of became basic in a way. With Madame X she tried, but I feel the music became secondary to her message which, at times, was out of touch. Where Let England Shake, in my opinion, succeeds with its political message, Madonna's message was too clinical although well intended.

Agree with all of this too! With reference to Madonna, i try not to ever put her down and hope this doesnt but the eye patch to the 'average' listener wouldve seen it in all her interviews and thought oh its one of her tricks, new look gimmick album which aurally it wasnt.  The album never mentioned her dance instructor or had anything to do with an eye patch. 

OK its fun as dress up but took away the attention instead of adding to it. I mean that in a what a shame way. THEN after the eye patch look at how many fucking amazing looks we got on Instagram? :lol:  

Fun Bjork needs to come back but he till call herself a punk no matter hat he doe which I guess is true. She had a smash hit, the only song she didnt write performed it a zillion times and once the stardom of having such a smash hit her she hated it. Hated it all. (Also for understandable  reasons and murder threats).  Musics in her to MAKE its her life, she not had a moment of thinking 'shit im losing money on thee video I need to write and oh so quiet like hit and perform it on tour to ell bigger arenas. Its not her. I just hope shes got just one or 2 dance beats on the new album. he started recording it about 4 years ago!! It mustve changed many times. If its an underwater adventure well lets hots hope she brings back her amazing b sides, theyll be LOADS by now. 

4 minutes ago, scallywally said:

Agree with all of this too! With reference to Madonna, i try not to ever put her down and hope this doesnt but the eye patch to the 'average' listener wouldve seen it in all her interviews and thought oh its one of her tricks, new look gimmick album which aurally it wasnt.  The album never mentioned her dance instructor or had anything to do with an eye patch. 

OK its fun as dress up but took away the attention instead of adding to it. I mean that in a what a shame way. THEN after the eye patch look at how many fucking amazing looks we got on Instagram? :lol:  

Fun Bjork needs to come back but he till call herself a punk no matter hat he doe which I guess is true. She had a smash hit, the only song she didnt write performed it a zillion times and once the stardom of having such a smash hit her she hated it. Hated it all. (Also for understandable  reasons and murder threats).  Musics in her to MAKE its her life, she not had a moment of thinking 'shit im losing money on thee video I need to write and oh so quiet like hit and perform it on tour to ell bigger arenas. Its not her. I just hope shes got just one or 2 dance beats on the new album. he started recording it about 4 years ago!! It mustve changed many times. If its an underwater adventure well lets hots hope she brings back her amazing b sides, theyll be LOADS by now. 

So new tix in America for Jan and feb orchestral right?  Then new album launch in her Paris exhibition??? Which is May till Nov?? Its not been explained. Although her website has hinted its changing design soon. I think the photoshoots were done in Aug! 

She, herself said that she only does whats comes to her head and she's glad, and stranged that people are interested in her personal projects, at this point in her career; for her all is a  personal thing to do, during pandemics she just thought 'why no t doing again 'Live at the Union Chapel' (But with micro or I'll die the first 3 min of show) 

I Lover her until 'Vespertine', then 'Medúlla' and 'Volta' had great moments, after this, I don't put so much attention on news, I take times to dive into her music, search for her music, rarities, her new show...........................hahaha. She's very repetitive nowdays but we need to understand that is HER music :) 

I have always complained about why she's wasn't more creative visually sometimes, or shitty release sshit Like 'Live In Cambridge',  I have a tons to tell about her music but, creativity also has to be over sometimes, and people are stubborn, they're 'Artists'

And try to tell her the opposite...... not in an airport please. 

Oh, and the show, it was very Björk performance, I enjoyed Aurora for example, but in general it was boring, Hyperballad and Bachelorette sounds like ok, if you like it is perfect Queen, Isobel is like strange, If Deodato was doing th arrangements, why not playing Deodato mix? With a 'Normal' concert,  Why not doing some totally electronic Gigs, etc, ect, why Björk, WHY???????