Madonna vs Rihanna

baymad4her

We all know Madonna is the best selling female artist but how long will that last, Rihanna is the best selling female singles artist in the UK, I think she now has more cumulative weeks in the charts and she's also got about 6 million selling singles and Madonna has none.

Rihanna also has more number 1 singles than Madonna in some countries including the US and I reckon it won't be long until Rihanna has more number ones than Madonna everywhere and becomes the biggest selling female artist ever.

How do people feel about this, do you think Rihanna turned up at the right time for the download era and streaming where music is more accessible and that streaming doesn't necessarily mean a proper sale or that she duets with everybody.

I personally don't think Rihanna will be as iconic as Madonna but it won't be long until Rihanna becomes the best selling female artist and she's only 26 I think.

Im not sure about charts and such as I don't think they have much credibility anymore. But Rihanna definitely has a more aggressive release schedule. She releases an album almost ever year. 

Music of the Sun       2005

A Girl Like Me            2006

Good Girl Gone Bad  2007

Rated R                      2009

Loud                           2010

Talk that Talk              2011

Unapologetic             2012

Anti                            2016

And her singles are infectious and fun. 

ICONIC- never.  I honestly can't name one performance that could be labeled as Iconic. Even at the VMAS this past year when she got four performances for artist of the millennium or whatever, they weren't that memorable and were overshadowed by Beyonce. 

Its only a matter of time Im sure she will surpass Madonna in sales probably, but what that means..... I'm not sure. 

I do not really find the Madonna vs any other artists for interesting... I'm interested in Madanna because of her music and because she has been a part of my life for more than 30 years... I'm not interested in how other artists do in comparison to her.... Rihanna is ok.. I like a few of her songs but I do not follow her... but I could also not care less if she sells more records than Madonna.

:pop: Will never reach M's level of success and impact, as wel

No one really will... Madonna is one of a kind and her career started at a completely different time... when music was valued way more than it is today.. music has turned into a use and throw away product for lots of people... Do not think any female artist can ever achieve what Madonna has achieved during the last 30-35 years.

Well, Madonna cannot remain the best selling artist forever, especially as her album and singles sales continue to dwindle whilst others grow. But what does that matter? Comparing artist against artist is stupid... who cares if one sells more than the other? Its meaningless. Madonna was here and that is all that matters.

I can't even distinguish one song from another, apart from Umbrella and a few more...

ICONIC? :confused::Madonna002:

That's how I feel about Rihanna's music. It's like they came up with a formula and staying with it and getting the music out as fast as they can on top of one another. I have liked her music but you really only need one of her songs and you basically have them all.

As ironic as it sounds people are not thinking for themselves anymore. The media and music industry really got a hold on the music buying public in the guise of claiming to follow their lead. They are now telling the consumer what to like instead of letting them hear someone else not guaranteed to make them money.

Oh and there is no vs,so no need to comment on that.

^What will eventually come to surface though is most of the women whom people compare to Madonna only seem to follow having an image and the music is just along for the ride. It doesn't stand on it's on. Madonna's discography is so amazing with some of the best pop songs ever recorded but it's so relatively ignored compared to other artists.

I even put Madonna on the top of the list of people who are not getting her discography out there. Madonna I think likes people to come to her. She likes people to come to their own conclusions even regarding her work. She is extremely brave and secure and I marvel at her ability to allow people to think what they want even if it might hurt her. It's almost superhuman to me and definitely a reflection of the heart of a true artist.

• 1 year later...

Rhianna is good in many ways. She has a great voice and good looks. But let's face it, her only real iconic song is Umbrella or S&M. Since then her songs have blurred. They're successful and catchy, but not powerful. Great dance songs, but not too thought provoking. I mean listen to Wild with DJ Khaled or whatever. It's like Hung Up, but worse since the whole song is nothing but a hit song from 2000. Only Hung Up was better and more relevant.

Well, Madonna cannot remain the best selling artist forever, especially as her album and singles sales continue to dwindle whilst others grow. But what does that matter? Comparing artist against artist is stupid... who cares if one sells more than the other? Its meaningless. Madonna was here and that is all that matters.

Not true. Madonna will definitely remain the best selling female artist ever when it comes to ALBUMS since no one buys albums anymore. Madonna has sold over 200 million ALBUMS alone, I dont see any female artist selling 200 million PURE albums. Has Rihanna even sold 50 million albums worldwide?

Not true. Madonna will definitely remain the best selling female artist ever when it comes to ALBUMS since no one buys albums anymore. Madonna has sold over 200 million ALBUMS alone, I dont see any female artist selling 200 million PURE albums. Has Rihanna even sold 50 million albums worldwide?

You do know that can change?  All she has to have is one or two more humongous albums and she can easily topple Madonna.  Being she's only 29, there's a good chance she could do it. 

You do know that can change? All she has to have is one or two more humongous albums and she can easily topple Madonna. Being she's only 29, there's a good chance she could do it.

Are you serious? I'm talking about ALBUM sales, Rihanna hasn't even sold 50 million in ALBUM sales. Almost all her sales are DIGITAL SINGLES.

Madonna has over 200 million PURE albums sales worldwide followed by Celine and Mariah

Almost all Rihanna 's sales are DIGITAL SINGLES I meant. Madonna will always remain the female artist who sold the most ALBUMS worldwide. Rihanna's actual ALBUM sales are quite poor

Topic was regarding Top artist and singles artist.  That said, why are you discounting "digital" sales. They are money made by music being sold.  It might be a different format, just like the change from Album to Eight Track to cassette to CD and now Digital.

Again, it isn't impossible for another artist including Rihanna to topple Madonna as the best selling artist. It will eventually happen. She's already done so regarding single sells in particular regions. 

Furthermore, I have no doubt we'll have another music revolution where people will buying music like in the past. It's just a matter of time for the music industry will catch up with the times.  Whether it's a physical or a digital sale, it's still a sale.

What's fascinating according to this. Rhianna is already certified to having more units than Madonna. Even still, she's nearing Madonna even at the "claimed" sales. She just needs a few more big songs and she would topple Madonna.

Again the point that I made that you're refuting is that NO ONE will touch Madonna 's actual ALBUM sales record of over 200 million sold. DIGITAL 99 cent single sales are NOT THE SAME as selling albums for $15-$20 the world over. Rihanna's ALBUM sales have always been bad especially when you consider how "big" she supposedly is

Yes Rihanna may topple Madonna when it comes to total units sold (digital SINGLES 90% of her total sales) but no one especially Rihanna who hasn't even sold 50 million albums since her debut in 2015 will come for Madonna 's total worldwide ALBUM sales.

Again the point that I made that you're refuting is that NO ONE will touch Madonna 's actual ALBUM sales record of over 200 million sold. DIGITAL 99 cent single sales are NOT THE SAME as selling albums for $15-$20 the world over. Rihanna's ALBUM sales have always been bad especially when you consider how "big" she supposedly is

Yes Rihanna may topple Madonna when it comes to total units sold (digital SINGLES 90% of her total sales) but no one especially Rihanna who hasn't even sold 50 million albums since her debut in 2015 will come for Madonna 's total worldwide ALBUM sales.

I didn't refute the "album" argument.  ONCE AGAIN... The topic is about over all record sales. You're the one who made this about Album sales alone.  I was merely pointing out that Rhianna could easily topple her with a few more successful albums that produces some major single sales as well.  In the end, people will always look at the over all sales, not just the album sales.  Madonna may remain the top album seller, but even with that, someone could eventually topple her. 

What's fascinating according to this. Rhianna is already certified to having more units than Madonna.  Even still, she's nearing Madonna even at the "claimed" sales.  She just needs a few more big songs and she would topple Madonna.

Not fascinating but humbling:

There's still a lot in between Madonna and Rihanna:

Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.

Plus, there's stuff still ahead of M: Beatles, Elvis, MJ.

All of which are sonically and culturally much more relevant than Rihanna has been so far. I say this, and I actually like the girl. But she is still not "there" yet, if you know what I mean. (Hell, even the Gag holds more cultural relevance.)

That being said, the whole comparisons with other stars and singers really gets on my nerves.