What Song Does M Need to Retire?

Future Lover

She always used to be unexpected. Now she is increasingly more and more expected and predictable. As soon as I heard she was doing an acoustic set to support Hilary Clinton, I knew for sure that she would do Like A Prayer, Don't Tell Me and Imagine. As much as I absolutely love LAP, I'm finding her performances of it after 2009 increasingly stale, uninspired and boring. There are other ways of performing it live other than a recreation of the Shep P remix or the same sounding acoustic rendition. She could do a more faithful to the album version like a big kind of anthemic gospel version or more understated as an acoustic with a piano, church organ, with a small orchestra or simply acapella with a church choir.

For Me, to keep playing some songs over and over, she needs to keep them fresh, while remaining true to the original song. I agree with @@Fighter absolutely. Stuart Prices studio versions sound really fresh and revitalised, while not drastically altering the songs. The S&ST studio versions are totally overhauled to the point the songs have little or no essence of the original song. There was way too many samples and use of scratching. The following tours are the polar opposite of SST and the versions are too close to the originals, almost like she is singing over the instrumental of the songs. DWT, RIT & CT got the balance between modernising and staying true to the original songs the best out of any of her 21st century tours.

She seems to have had a change of heart regarding the way she performs songs. She once said she'd never perform songs similar to the original version as people can just hear those on the studio album. She also said she would never want to duplicate an idea or performance, therefore I was really surprised at the time that LAP and Vogue on the MDNA tour were essentially extended versions of the same concept used for the Superbowl and that they sounded almost like the original instrumentals with her singing over them.

The songs she seems to perform the most in recent years to me are Candy Shop, Music, Like A Prayer, La Isla Bonita, Human Nature, Like A Virgin, Spanish Lesson and Holiday. I think they've had their time in the sun. She's over performed them and I'm kinda bored with them now. Again, it's really predictable now for her to include these, and to quote Sorry: "I've seen it all before and I can't take it anymore".

Everybody will hate me for this, but that is what happens when you grow old. You may have energy, but you have less ideas and less innovative methods, you are a step behind. Madonna can wear strange outfits and do acrobatic moves showing she still has the energy and the attitude of a 30-year-old, but still something has changed.

I think I can say this because I often experiment it in myself: I don't have the same memory and the same ideas I used to have ten years ago, and I am only 40! I have a lot of things I didn't have, experience and confidence and consciousness, but still I am different.

You can see it in other artists. Take Andrew Lloyd Webber. He could never be able to write Hamilton now. But he wrote the Hamilton of his time, which is the unbeatable Jesus Christ Superstar. He also wrote beautiful musicals in his forties, Phantom or Sunset Blvd, but now despite his big resonance and experience the last things he has done are less interesting.

So it is sad to see M repeating herself, @@Stevo. But you have to admit that she is also trying to do something new, especially the acoustic things like Tears of a clown, or (redis)covering other songs such as Between the bars, If I had a hammer. She should find new musical directors who help her, I also wonder which role Monte Pittman plays in this... he could push for better renditions, I believe, rather than let her playing songs as in a beach karaoke night sometimes.

I think the only reason Madonna's been doing the same songs over and over for almost a decade now (La Isla Bonita, Like a Prayer, Music, Candy Shop) is because she feels confident when performing them live. There's no doubt most of them are already her signature songs... it's quite difficult for her to forget the lyrics as it would happen with other classics that are rarely performed. Same for songs like Holiday, Ray of Light, and Hung Up which have also been played til death. 

Wether you agree with me or not, the greatest thing about the RH Tour was the fact she's not hesitant on singing old tracks anymore. It is most likely she will follow this path for future concerts, something I can't complain to be honest. I will be happy if she decides to include least successful singles like Get Together or Nothing Really Matters!  :hearteyes:

I think the only reason Madonna's been doing the same songs over and over for almost a decade now (La Isla Bonita, Like a Prayer, Music, Candy Shop) is because she feels confident when performing them live. There's no doubt most of them are already her signature songs... it's quite difficult for her to forget the lyrics as it would happen with other classics that are rarely performed. Same for songs like Holiday, Ray of Light, and Hung Up which have also been played til death. 

Wether you agree with me or not, the greatest thing about the RH Tour was the fact she's not hesitant on singing old tracks anymore. It is most likely she will follow this path for future concerts, something I can't complain to be honest. I will be happy if she decides to include least successful singles like Get Together or Nothing Really Matters!  :hearteyes:

I couldn't agree more!!

Stuart Price was gold for her, once he was out things deteriorated a bit. S&S was the biggest departure artistically from the finesse of her other 2000s tours, MDNA had fresh ideas but a lot of people didnt love the musical direction.

Yes the best thing about RHT is that she sang old songs and not reluctantly, but how much better would it have been if the versions were just a bit fresher?

I have no complaints with acoustic versions, True blue on RHT was a highllight and so was most of TOAC. It can be very heartfelt.

Her recent performance for Hillary was perfect as it was. I was not expecting anything other than heartfelt and she did it.

IDK, I'm OK with Madonna singing the oldies. For us, the fans, they may be boring, because we know ALL of her song and some of us are about to vomit hearing for example "La Isla Bonita" for the 6542674682478247072486th time. But we have to remember that there are also the others that pays money to see her show and they first of all want to hear her old hits, I think. So Madonna have to do some kind of things to satisfy them and us - she plays those songs but in new versions. And that's fine for me.

Of course in my dreams I have a vission of Madonna singing "Love Won't Wait", "Dear Father" or even "Voices", but is it possible? Maybe in the times of small, intimate, private performances anything is possible, let's pray for that.

It's weird how Like A Virgin has been on every single tour since her first (I think it's not on 2)

Yet this one isn't brought up.

Why is this the only song that gets completely reworked EVERYTIME!!

It's never been the studio version of LAV and that's incredible.

If she could approach any of her other hits like that she could save everything from feeling rehashed again and again and again.

Like Vogue has only drastically been different on 2 tours. S&S and RHT.

And if you don't like Sticky and Sweet Vogue... You need jesus.

Ray of Light has NEVER been different. Which is strange, I expected a weird trance version for MDNA...

Also if we could just pretend Gimme All Your Love never happened. That would be GREAT

• 6 months later...

If she's just gonna play the guitar and jump and sing 'Ray of Light' once again, I'd rather not hear that one. So I'm quite happy with its absence.

No more Latin segments please. Leave 'La Isla Bonita' alone, gurl!

I am also tired of hearing 'Human Nature'. She has many other "unapologetic" songs.

Not even mentioning 'Candy Shop'.

I am also tired of 'Music', but considering it is a crowd pleaser, I understand Madonna's willingness to include it.

I have a problem with her forgotten songs rather than the tired ones. No one could imagine 'True Blue' and 'Who's That Girl?' live again, but she surprised people on the last tour. So, my hopes for 'Cherish' or 'Causing a Commotion' will not die soon.

I wish I could say the same for 'Bad Girl', 'Angel', 'This Used to Be My Playground', 'I'll Remember', 'The Power of Good-Bye', 'Nothing Really Matters', and 'Love Profusion'.

There are some songs that have been overplayed and you all mentioned them before but to me the song that she really should retire for a while is Like A Prayer. I love this song but the last two years I get kinda sick hearing it. Almost everybody (TV stations, Radio stations, etc.) act like Madonna has only recorded this one song in her entire career. I don´t hear anything else from her, at least here in germany, I don´t know the situation in other countries. I´m almost at the point where I wanna cover my ears when I hear that song and normally I love it of course. So please no more LAP for a long time for me. From Madonna herself and from anybody :hearno:

If she's just gonna play the guitar and jump and sing 'Ray of Light' once again, I'd rather not hear that one. So I'm quite happy with its absence.

No more Latin segments please. Leave 'La Isla Bonita' alone, gurl!

I am also tired of hearing 'Human Nature'. She has many other "unapologetic" songs.

Not even mentioning 'Candy Shop'.

I am also tired of 'Music', but considering it is a crowd pleaser, I understand Madonna's willingness to include it.

I have a problem with her forgotten songs rather than the tired ones. No one could imagine 'True Blue' and 'Who's That Girl?' live again, but she surprised people on the last tour. So, my hopes for 'Cherish' or 'Causing a Commotion' will not die soon.

I wish I could say the same for 'Bad Girl', 'Angel', 'This Used to Be My Playground', 'I'll Remember', 'The Power of Good-Bye', 'Nothing Really Matters', and 'Love Profusion'.

yeah, i am actually totally tired with her on the guitar. sorry to say, she has not mastered guitar playing well enough in all these years, and she doesn't have to. it bores me though. probably just an excuse for her to take a breather (which she deserves, but it's still a bit boring to me). Ray of Light at the guitar. oof. no more. totally agreed.

I am all for latin segments though - if they are done properly. I think her RHT latin segment could have been much better. with a full combo, all live instruments, no samples, no acoustic blabla but a full band heating it up latin style. sort of like the miami sound machine used to do. is there any band out there that still does this? you know, gloria estefan style from back in the day (and NOT JLo style).

would love something like that.

I love Cherish. I would love a new fresh version of it without compromising its positive energy.

I would like arrangements that actually truly celebrate the song itself, with proper build-ups, true musical climaxes and proper finales.

The same would go for Bad Girl, Angel ( :heart:), this used to be my playground, i'll remember. 

more real musical celebration with some drama to the musical arrangement. that usually inspires great performances too. are the bands just not creative enough anymore? out with the samples!

I think of myself going to other people's concert.

If went to see U2, I'd love to hear I still haven't found.

When I went to see Cyndi Lauper, everyone wanted to hear True colors.

So its natural that people want LAV, LIB, LAP.

Of course I was so happy to hear Ghosttown in Turin and Drowned World in London, but I accept the fact that LAP is often performed. This changes in the setlist made every RHT night more special (and we were all there through Periscope, remember those nights?).

The thing is she has to give something new.

I was really hoping to hear that flamenco version of La isla bonita we heard in the RHT workshop, it sounded fresh but not too "strange" (as the Like a virgin waltz, for instance: I remember a girl next to me was very disappointed), then the final version was duller and a lot more similar to the original.

Holiday in BAT is new but fantastic, not to mention that "black" rendition in DWT, in RHT the song is more boring.

So a lot depends on the presentation and the arrangement.

• 6 months later...

I don't think she should retire any song she doesn't want to retire.   I mean; it's pretty crazy for a fan to suggest she "retire" the classic songs like "Holiday", "Like A Prayer", etc.  Please!  Those are the songs that keep people coming back to the shows. Most want to hear those classics.  Certainly, I would agree I'd like to hear good versions of the songs.  But you can't hit it out of the park every time if you're and artist who likes to change it up, when performing it again.  It's always going to be hard to please everyone.  Though, she is very vocal about singing songs over and over again without changing them up. She does that for the most part. 

She is far from the typical artist who relies on her back catalog.  Be happy she isn't up on stage, performing just the "Greatest Hits".  For the most part, all her tours have represented more of her newer stuff than her older stuff.  I think she'll continue to do that until she retires herself.  Not to say she might not put on a "Greatest Hits" show in the future, but I feel that is less likely to happen.

I love Madonna because she's an all around entertainer.  I love how she keeps evolving as a performer.  Let's face it, she isn't the best singer, dancer and guitarist, but I love how she gives us variety.  She gives us 100%  I don't want her just standing on stage singing songs.  I know damn well she doesn't either.  I think she wants to show she can do more than sing whether that is dancing, doing crazy stunts, performing, being comedic, putting on huge productions and yes jamming on the guitar. 

I say; the only thing that should "retire" are those fans who think she should do it their way or think she should retire songs or playing instruments. 

I'd like to see her kick up the mashups! Like a good encore number be Holiday/Celebration/Give It 2 Me/Everybody/Music+Most Commercially Successful Single of Current Album. If she mixes things up[ properly, I don't care what gets retired. But after the awesome La Isla Bonita from RHT, I'd be okay if she didn't do that one for the next tour. Give it a break, pull out something else a chance.

Defo no more Candy Shop nor Human Nature. They're not good live.

I'd do Spotlight and This Used to Be My Playground instead.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

While I'm not a big fan of "Candy Shop",  what she did with them on tour were great, especially on RHT.  It was very energetic and fun.  It really help me appreciate the song much more. 

It's obvious, this song is one of Madonna's fave.  She's treating it like one of her classics.  I have no issue with that since I'm happy to see newer songs from her less successful albums get some love.  I also have to remember some of those classics and songs we love to hear so much, aren't necessarily songs Madonna is too keen in singing.  So I have no problem with her selecting a few of her own favorites to perform. 

I think she sings candy shop just because its an easy song vocally and yes she must like it to have sung on every tour since 2008 ? i also agree about the comments on stuarts musical arrangements ? hes so much a better producer than kevin antunes ? im only sad we havent had an official cd of stuarts remixes hes done on the 3 tours :))

i think her next tour is gonna be like Prince's 02 residency where she will mix some talking and songs together and change the set list so she can incorporate most of her back catalogue - imagine going to one of her shows and having no diea what shes going to sing ? we finally get rescue me live ! :))

Candy Shop. Though MDNA was great, I'd just wish she'd choose something else. The song itself is decent but with such a vast catalog no idea why she wants to trot this song out like some classic.

Music should definitely be retired unless it's remixed epically. Human Nature as well along with Holiday.

I think she sings candy shop just because its an easy song vocally and yes she must like it to have sung on every tour since 2008 ? i also agree about the comments on stuarts musical arrangements ? hes so much a better producer than kevin antunes ? im only sad we havent had an official cd of stuarts remixes hes done on the 3 tours :))

i think her next tour is gonna be like Prince's 02 residency where she will mix some talking and songs together and change the set list so she can incorporate most of her back catalogue - imagine going to one of her shows and having no diea what shes going to sing ? we finally get rescue me live ! :))

The only thing is; she isn't very good at doing things off the cuff, especially musically. She needs to rehearse or she'll sound horrible.  Tears of The Clown (especially that first one) is a good example of that.  And the "comedy"... well, she tries, but it's just too forced. She needs to come off more natural.  The problem is; she is too confident into thinking she's good at telling a joke.  I rather her just chat more naturally. Give us a bit more history behind the songs she's performing. Share some stories.  Surely, she has some funny stories to share regarding her own career.  Her comedy bits have come off like her acting... too forced.  

And I was watching BLOND AMBITION Tour last night.  And while I know some of those songs were mimed, but for the most part you couldn't really tell.  "Vogue" (and of course "Now I'm following you"). to me was the one that stands out the most, but it still sounded like she was singing live.  These days, it sounds too messy. Many times it sounds like she's singing Karaoke over pre-recorded tracks.  I just want to hear her sing more naturally.  It doesn't have to be perfect for me.  Still, over all she sounded pretty good on Blond Ambition singing live.  The same for the GIRLIE SHOW. Those live tracks she actually sang, she sounded great.  Confessions is the last tour where much of the show sounded like she was actually singing live on most of the songs.

The only thing is; she isn't very good at doing things off the cuff, especially musically. She needs to rehearse or she'll sound horrible. Tears of The Clown (especially that first one) is a good example of that. And the "comedy"... well, she tries, but it's just too forced. She needs to come off more natural. The problem is; she is too confident into thinking she's good at telling a joke. I rather her just chat more naturally. Give us a bit more history behind the songs she's performing. Share some stories. Surely, she has some funny stories to share regarding her own career. Her comedy bits have come off like her acting... too forced.

And I was watching BLOND AMBITION Tour last night. And while I know some of those songs were mimed, but for the most part you couldn't really tell. "Vogue" (and of course "Now I'm following you"). to me was the one that stands out the most, but it still sounded like she was singing live. These days, it sounds too messy. Many times it sounds like she's singing Karaoke over pre-recorded tracks. I just want to hear her sing more naturally. It doesn't have to be perfect for me. Still, over all she sounded pretty good on Blond Ambition singing live. The same for the GIRLIE SHOW. Those live tracks she actually sang, she sounded great. Confessions is the last tour where much of the show sounded like she was actually singing live on most of the songs.

But the thing is that singing while doing a dance act is very hard. But I agree that she'd invest more on live backing vocals rather than pre recorded ones of her own.

Also M doesn't have a powerful voice so she'd get overtaken by the instrumental

But the thing is that singing while doing a dance act is very hard. But I agree that she'd invest more on live backing vocals rather than pre recorded ones of her own.

Also M doesn't have a powerful voice so she'd get overtaken by the instrumental

Oh I agree.  But again, I am not really bothered if she hits bum notes. After all, she's been doing that all her career.  I enjoy that she does more than just sing.  I don't mind that she pulls out the guitar even though she isn't Eddie Van Halen with the guitar.  It just offers a bit diversity to her performance, especially the slower songs.  As a fan, I don't want to restrict her to being one type of entertainer.  She's an artist. She paints many canvases, some better than others.  Throw in that rebellious attitude, you've got Madonna.