MOJO Magazine

Halex

Hahaha, lick a fucking Coran, Nonna. And see what happens next.

I see you're from Paris, so I guess you're aware of what happened here over the past 2 weeks...

Yet you manage to 

1 - act all shocked on a Madonna forum about her playing with religion imagery (after all this is certainly not the first time)

2 - "fucking Coran" ? Like, seriously ? Do I need to go any further with that one ? 

I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but she also is. She's always been about this kind of thing, so if you're gonna shocked and offended about this kind of stuff, you're obviously interested in the wrong artist.

I'm gonna be quite honest here : I don't care, and the opinion about the photo being good or not is not what I take issue with. 

I first read this 

Why the hell don't you lick a Star of David or a Talmud? You could try with the Coran too.

I say : fair enough, the guy has his opinion, he's entitled to it, that's perfectly fine.

Then it goes

Hahaha, lick a fucking Coran, Nonna. And see what happens next.

Are you kidding me ? 

THIS SUCKS BIG-TIME,

Nonna, as as catholic I've tolerated your cross thing for 30 years. But now this is offensive. And it's repetitive. And a fucking bore. Short on ideas? OK, I'll give you some: Why the hell don't you lick a Star of David or a Talmud? You could try with the Coran too.

How exactly is it offensive?

I can see how people can feel offended by pictures mocking religious imagery - even though I tend to think faith is something deeply personal and shouldn't have anything to do with what's written in a book or dictated by some guy who's supposed to know better because he has the right jewelry or beard.

What bugs me here isn't even the "I'm offended" part - to each his own - but to first state "I'm offended because religion is sacred, bla bla bla" and then go "fucking Coran" ? That's totally unfathomable and unacceptable, period.

I can see how people can feel offended by pictures mocking religious imagery - even though I tend to think faith is something deeply personal and shouldn't have anything to do with what's written in a book or dictated by some guy who's supposed to know better because he has the right jewelry or beard.

What bugs me here isn't even the "I'm offended" part - to each his own - but to first state "I'm offended because religion is sacred, bla bla bla" and then go "fucking Coran" ? That's totally unfathomable and unacceptable, period.

Totally agree. And it kinda came off like he used the offended card because he didn't like the image in general, not because there's a cross hanging from her nose. But to hold religious hierarchy is yes, unacceptable. 

Over 30 years of Madonna posing with crosses along with "hanging" herself from one, and NOW some of you choose to be offended?  LOL

Get over it.  Probably petty Little Monsters who get butt hurt over everything just like their "Mother".  Sad weaklings always wanting to play victim.

I'm not the biggest fan of the nose ring either, to be honest. Not because it's particularly offensive to me (I'm a lapsed Catholic myself), but it's not exactly new territory for her - her styling is straight out of the 1991 Rolling Stone shoot, and Madonna + Catholic imagery is a bit old hat at this point. At the same time...at this point in her career, what ground could there possibly be left for her to cover? Part of me doesn't really blame her for the increased self-referencing over the last decade or so.

I also don't think it's exactly fair to call anyone who disagrees with the general consensus a Little Monster, either. Gaga and her fans aren't really relevant to the discussion at hand - not to mention that that attitude pretty much ignores the pretty large crossover between the two fanbases. Not everyone who likes Gaga hates Madonna, and vice versa. But that's another topic entirely. 

All of that aside, I do like it purely from an aesthetic standpoint - it's very well put together, and it reminds me of the Sex book.

I dont think people understand what it truly means to be offended anymore.

It's just something they shout out when they dont like something.

Besides, who the fuck cares if youre offended (generally speaking)?

In the grander scheme of things, no one is THAT important.

Topic: LOVE the cover!

I know.  Madonna cant even call MLK and Nelson Mandela "Freedom Fighters" posting a picture of them with the "Rebel Heart" artwork over their face without people getting their panties in a bunch.  As someone that visits other forums I can tell you a lot of these people in a uproar were Gaga fans, forgetting that Gaga went to a party dragging two people around in chains dressed in black face. That was fine though.

It amazes me what Gaga gets away with from the media.  Imagine the MASSIVE uproar if Madonna got puked on all over while singing a song as part of the performance?

Anyway, back on topic.  Needed to rant.