Madonna surprise concert!!!! Di Caprio Gala Fundraiser

We are all saying the same thing, she needs to fine tune her performances to an acceptable standard. Singing with pitched down vocals from 30 years ago in the background is not a professional standard for any performer. Bottom line, cut and dry.

This is definitely a NEW thing with her and she has never performed like this before.

We can only speculate wether she is too frugal, or too busy with other things, lazy about some things, or has bad judgement, but it doesn't matter if the end result is the same. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@Liam if you like to listen a live show that sounds like a karaoke great for you, i think it sounds cheap and uninspired and i don't want to sound rude but you have no right to say to anyone in here that we should think this is good or to shut our mouths or jump off the bus.

"She's never been the type of artist who has been backed by a live band" that's not true, from The Virgin Tour until Drowned World Tour she had good bands backing her up.

You're putting words in my mouth that I NEVER said.  Yes, I said "get off the bus", but that's all.   I never said anyone to "shut up", nor said I like a show "that sounds like a karaoke".  In fact, I even made a criticism that some of the songs at this event sounded karaoke. 

And yes, ALL her shows have had an element of LIVE bands, and I stated that, but those even The Virgin Tour up to the Drowned World had backing tracks as well.   Blond Ambition especially.  A lot of the VIRGIN TOUR had programed instrumentals. 

My point is; she's always performed to backing tracks as far back as her early days when clubbing.  This isn't anything new!! 

I don't want to get off the bus, and I won't, I just want to have a great journey!

Like I've always had in the past 30 years!

Yes Blond Ambition had backing tracks, then please give me back Niki singing "Ain't nobody better" and those great Moffett drums in Holiday!!

Thank you @@Bel

tumblr_olpbnum4H81r3jqyco2_400.gif

And yes, ALL her shows have had an element of LIVE bands, and I stated that, but those even The Virgin Tour up to the Drowned World had backing tracks as well.   Blond Ambition especially.  A lot of the VIRGIN TOUR had programed instrumentals. 

My point is; she's always performed to backing tracks as far back as her early days when clubbing.  This isn't anything new!! 

I don't think most of the music in her 80s and 90s shows were backing tracks. The live instrumentation was very prominent in her early shows. She had a lot of live percussion, bass, keyboards, synths, etc. Even the orchestral portion of Papa Don't Preach for instance was live (a synth) on BAT. That's what some people want back. There's no comparison on the amount of backing track used on her old shows and her newer shows.

Personally I prefer polished backing tracks with some live instrumentation, but if others want a more prominent live band then great.

Liam, I didn't put words on your mouth, i know you didn't said literally shut your mouth, but everytime someone makes a comment that don't align with what you believe you always condescending.

"... nor said I like a show "that sounds like a karaoke". I didn't said that you spoke that, but you replied like this was a non issue for you, wich is fine, to each his own, we have different tastes and opinions.

Edit: in my opinion, Mariah Carey and Lady Gaga are not examples of great singers.

We obviously have a communication issue because if you read, I never claimed Mariah and Lady Gaga are Great singers.  If you noted, I said it was quite "subjective" and I was being "generous" when I was saying that.  However, Mariah (at least in the 90's) has a stronger voice than Madonna. But again, that doesn't make her a better artist.  Barbara has a great singign voice too, but she bores the hell out of me. 

Anyway, the rest you assumed and twisted my words.  Not being condescending.  And just offering my opinion. Just having a civil debate about Madonna and the fact she's always used backing tracks, especially the last 25 years.  The only two tours I can say were really backed up with live bands pretty much throughout was GIRLIE SHOW and WHO'S THAT GIRL.  All the other tours, had some elements of live bands, while much of it was programed music if not back up tracks/instrumentation.

Anyway, back on topic.  The mini concert was pretty good from what we could see of it through cell phone footage. 

My favorite clip

To sing with pitched down original vocals and deformed album instrumentals is not professional and definitely not good for the Queen of pop, and also a little disrespectful for her audience as if we were not able to understand. We are definitely able to distinguish between the good live sound of the Girlie Show and the bad karaoke of some recent performances.

she does what she wants, you know ?

"disrespectful" is really harsh

It was a a medium sized venue, she had 20 minutes or so on stage, she wasn't going to do Give it To Me for 8 minutes, Vogue as Marie Antoinette for the 2456th time or any discofied hit without her crew of dancers.

The pitched down live versions fit her quite well, remember Bordeline on Jimmy Kimmel, remember Purple Rain, remember how good she sounded on Deeper and Deeper in RIT. The very memorable version of Music during RHT started slowly, and it was excellent. These past years, all her very notable live vocals were the slow songs especially during the Rebel Heart promo tour (Joan of Arc, Ghosttown...) and of course Tears of a Clown. Through the years, she has acknowledged very subtly that she doesn't have the voice she had when she did Holiday or Material Girl. That's a serious sign of musicianship.

On the other side, she has tricks for her big shows, like BIM or GGW, with heavy prerecorded vocals, and everybody's fine with that.

She still is a very fine studio perfomer though, I think that's one very good thing everybody learnt with the Rebel Heart leaks.

she does what she wants, you know ?

"disrespectful" is really harsh

It was a a medium sized venue, she had 20 minutes or so on stage, she wasn't going to do Give it To Me for 8 minutes, Vogue as Marie Antoinette for the 2456th time or any discofied hit without her crew of dancers.

The pitched down live versions fit her quite well, remember Bordeline on Jimmy Kimmel, remember Purple Rain, remember how good she sounded on Deeper and Deeper in RIT. The very memorable version of Music during RHT started slowly, and it was excellent. These past years, all her very notable live vocals were the slow songs especially during the Rebel Heart promo tour (Joan of Arc, Ghosttown...) and of course Tears of a Clown. Through the years, she has acknowledged very subtly that she doesn't have the voice she had when she did Holiday or Material Girl. That's a serious sign of musicianship.

On the other side, she has tricks for her big shows, like BIM or GGW, with heavy prerecorded vocals, and everybody's fine with that.

She still is a very fine studio perfomer though, I think that's one very good thing everybody learnt with the Rebel Heart leaks.

I am sorry to repeat myself but you don't get my point.

I don't see any problem in singing in a different lower pitch, as a singer we do it all the time. The tone if the song changes - see Borderline - but it ciuld even be better.

I can even accept the fact that she uses backing recorded vocals as a help even if she's not doing a big dance routine on a world tour. I'd rather have stronger backup singers.

What I don't understand is the use of the original album vocals pitched down, because if you do this the track sounds deformed and unlistenable. Take the Frozen 2009 multitrack, I dare you to listen to the vocals without feeling horrified: but in that case it was only meant as a guide, to build the new arrangement. To rerecord a vocal take on a lower pitch shouldn't be a big effort or a big expense for someone like her.

Right we were discussing her having the ORIGINAL album vocals pitched down in her performances as a backing track not her adjusting the tone of the songs to her current range. lol

I agree with Enrico, she could record a new vocal take to use as a backing track like she did with Vogue on RIT  :eyes: that would be perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, but that Vogue re-recording is pretty awful on RIT!!  To me, it just sounds like someone put the record on a slower speed.

Yeah, but that Vogue re-recording is pretty awful on RIT!!  To me, it just sounds like someone put the record on a slower speed.

the version she used live? its just her normal singing voice. :confused:  The one on the tour demo is the original album vocals but pitched down (like slower speed). 

the version she used live? its just her normal singing voice. :confused:  The one on the tour demo is the original album vocals but pitched down (like slower speed). 

That wasn't live!!  She sang over a track and the track was much louder than her actual vocals.

I'm not sure about the criticism about her singing to pitched down stuff. She has always had tracks pitched down and has always performed to backing tracks.

This performance was a favour to Leonardo, she did not get paid for it, so if she wants to use album versions then why shouldn't she. 

She's not going to invest in having them re arranged like it was for a full blown concert.

Archived