Madonna surprise concert!!!! Di Caprio Gala Fundraiser

I'm not sure about the criticism about her singing to pitched down stuff. She has always had tracks pitched down and has always performed to backing tracks.

She has never performed to pitched down album vocals in the background, I think you're misunderstanding what we're talking about.

I agree that it was a free concert put together quickly, but the pitched down vocals were also present on RHT and TOAC Miami (and Carpool Karaoke not that it matters), so it's a pattern that's not going unnoticed.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has never performed to pitched down album vocals in the background, I think you're misunderstanding what we're talking about.

I agree that it was a free concert put together quickly, but the pitched down vocals were also present on RHT and TOAC Miami (and Carpool Karaoke not that it matters), so it's a pattern that's not going unnoticed.

And RIT and Sticky and Sweet. It's not as noticeable but it's there. 

tumblr_olpbnum4H81r3jqyco2_400.gif

I don't think most of the music in her 80s and 90s shows were backing tracks. The live instrumentation was very prominent in her early shows. She had a lot of live percussion, bass, keyboards, synths, etc. Even the orchestral portion of Papa Don't Preach for instance was live (a synth) on BAT. That's what some people want back. There's no comparison on the amount of backing track used on her old shows and her newer shows.

Personally I prefer polished backing tracks with some live instrumentation, but if others want a more prominent live band then great.

I love her earlier shows, especially The Girlie Show. Do you think Madonna embraced who she was as a live performer back then more so then she does now? I am not saying she did but it's what I think and I think that was a big part of her allure as a stage performer. Her voice was more powerful then, not perfect but powerful and emotive as far I was concerned.

I have mixed feelings about the Ray of Light era. I loved her embracing a new way of thinking about life but I also feel it's when she started to listen to the critics and maybe lost some of her confidence as a result. That is what they are there for in the art world I think. Art is in the eyes and ears of the beholder and listener as far as I'm concerned.

In contrast to what a lot of her critics say I was more wowed with the more Madonna and less spectacle of her earlier concerts and I don't think I am the only fan that feels that way.

This is interesting because her biggest fans always seem to love the opposite of what her critics say she is successful for. Some of them have never been on the same page with us and I can't think of another musical artist that is true for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived