Madonna and MJ

MLVCPR58

So last night, M posted a photo on Instagram of her and Michael Jackson with the caption, "Nothing takes the past away............Like the future". Could this be a hint at a potential collaboration with him (or should I say, his old recordings) on 13? Thoughts?

I think it's interesting that she added those lyrics to that picture...truly intriguing...the future...is she telling us to let go of the sorrow over michael jackson's death? and yes, potentially with a new michael-esque song?

(btw, i HATE what they did with the new michael jckson release. WEAK!)

I think it's interesting that she added those lyrics to that picture...truly intriguing...the future...is she telling us to let go of the sorrow over michael jackson's death? and yes, potentially with a new michael-esque song?

(btw, i HATE what they did with the new michael jckson release. WEAK!)

I actually think it's not too bad. Of course, the first single is the gem of the bunch. I even like the Timberlake version as well. The whole song really did take you back to that era where every song was a hit off his album.

I actually think it's not too bad. Of course, the first single is the gem of the bunch. I even like the Timberlake version as well. The whole song really did take you back to that era where every song was a hit off his album.

i think the song was left off MJ albums for a reason and yes, it does take you back to the early 80s (or late 70s?).

i generally like justin but in this song and especially the video....cringe. no one should attempt to imitate MJ moves. not even mr timberlake (who i think came across most authentic in "inside llewyn davis", oddly enough.)

i think the song was left off MJ albums for a reason and yes, it does take you back to the early 80s (or late 70s?).

i generally like justin but in this song and especially the video....cringe. no one should attempt to imitate MJ moves. not even mr timberlake (who i think came across most authentic in "inside llewyn davis", oddly enough.)

I didn't think that much about it. I just enjoyed it. To me Timberlake worked because his sound and moves closely resemebles MJ. Of course, no one can do MJ like MJ, but again, I just enjoyed it for what it is.

Left off an album or not, still brings back that time when he was unstoppable. There is no doubt in my mind, that I would love to hear songs Madonna prefers to keep shelved, especially older work which brings you back to the time that they really had an impact on the music world.

I didn't think that much about it. I just enjoyed it. To me Timberlake worked because his sound and moves closely resemebles MJ. Of course, no one can do MJ like MJ, but again, I just enjoyed it for what it is.

Left off an album or not, still brings back that time when he was unstoppable. There is no doubt in my mind, that I would love to hear songs Madonna prefers to keep shelved, especially older work which brings you back to the time that they really had an impact on the music world.

true, one can enjoy it that way.

i don't spend my time "thinking about it" when i watch videos or listen to music either, it's just what directly caught my attention and what i directly really disliked.

perhaps i am too much of a fan of MJ's way of dancing.

justin timberlake has not reminded me of MJ since his first solo album.

he shouldn't have been part of this song or video, but that's just my opinion. 

true, one can enjoy it that way.

i don't spend my time "thinking about it" when i watch videos or listen to music either, it's just what directly caught my attention and what i directly really disliked.

perhaps i am too much of a fan of MJ's way of dancing.

justin timberlake has not reminded me of MJ since his first solo album.

he shouldn't have been part of this song or video, but that's just my opinion. 

Why not? I mean, what does it matter? I guess we all have our idea of what's good or not, but I've always felt that Justin is greatly talented, and his vocal style and dancing since he was young mirrors Jackson in many ways. I get it!  Jackson is a phenomenon, and some people will never let someone else step up to the plate to continue the talent and joy MJ brought so many people. I never felt like Timberlake was trying to replace him or copy his success. But both stars rose to fame by being part of a group when they were young, and they both broke out huge when they went solo. Justin's first solo album especially a few of the songs, remind me of Jackson's OFF THE WALL album. I thought that of some of Bruno Mars songs from his recent album too.

JT has been a huge success and has managed world domination in the music business as MJ has. In no way, am I saying he's better than Jackson, but I find him just as entertaining and talented. Like Jackson, dancing was a huge part of his act. Like Jackson, he has that high falsetto. Like Jackson, he's created some killer songs that have become just as successful.

It seems quite fitting to let JT be part of this. Not only that, it helps bring in a youthful appeal for those who may not experienced Jackson the way we older folks who have witnessed Jackson's rise to fame.

I'm starting to think Madonna is posting some instagrams just to throw fans off from what she's really planning. Also, I would think doing an MJ collab with an unreleased song would be a case of "been there others have done it" case. Though if she were doing it, bring it on. I've always loved MJ. The Xscape album isn't like his albums when he was alive (I've finally made my peace with that), but, it's ok and still fun to hear his unreleased songs reworked with others. I especially loved the recent virtual performance and song in Vegas. It's kind of cool to think that even after 5 years, people still want to recreate, tribute, remix his songs, and not forget about Michael. I bet it's the same with Madonna.

I'm starting to think Madonna is posting some instagrams just to throw fans off from what she's really planning. Also, I would think doing an MJ collab with an unreleased song would be a case of "been there others have done it" case. Though if she were doing it, bring it on. I've always loved MJ. The Xscape album isn't like his albums when he was alive (I've finally made my peace with that), but, it's ok and still fun to hear his unreleased songs reworked with others. I especially loved the recent virtual performance and song in Vegas. It's kind of cool to think that even after 5 years, people still want to recreate, tribute, remix his songs, and not forget about Michael. I bet it will be the same with Madonna.

If you listen to the version of the XCAPE album that has the original versions, I'd think you'd enjoy them more. Other than the first single that is done with and without Justin, that's pretty much the only new version I like. Though, there is one or two that sound better than the original being the originals seem to sound less polished.

Why not? I mean, what does it matter? I guess we all have our idea of what's good or not, but I've always felt that Justin is greatly talented, and his vocal style and dancing since he was young mirrors Jackson in many ways. I get it!  Jackson is a phenomenon, and some people will never let someone else step up to the plate to continue the talent and joy MJ brought so many people. I never felt like Timberlake was trying to replace him or copy his success. But both stars rose to fame by being part of a group when they were young, and they both broke out huge when they went solo. Justin's first solo album especially a few of the songs, remind me of Jackson's OFF THE WALL album. I thought that of some of Bruno Mars songs from his recent album too.

JT has been a huge success and has managed world domination in the music business as MJ has. In no way, am I saying he's better than Jackson, but I find him just as entertaining and talented. Like Jackson, dancing was a huge part of his act. Like Jackson, he has that high falsetto. Like Jackson, he's created some killer songs that have become just as successful.

It seems quite fitting to let JT be part of this. Not only that, it helps bring in a youthful appeal for those who may not experienced Jackson the way we older folks who have witnessed Jackson's rise to fame.

I better not talk about bruno mars...  :smile:

these are just the kind of music artists i see deficits with.

i am glad you can enjoy their art and that you get them and that they sell. (although commercial success does not automatically equal artistic value for me) but what i see are deficits regarding depth in the ideas they convey, be it artistically or ideologically. there's a lack of edge lately. lack of originality (so many things are recycled, sound-wise especially). lack of interesting personalities (as in outstanding people who have something interesting to say; these guys hold back too much). just easy-peasy smoothness to please commercial needs. i miss the pioneer spirit. i miss the 'vroom'. especially in justin timberlake's moves after his first album. i see deficits when he makes the MJ moves in the video, they are way too smooth and not powerful enough. that's what's putting me off. and the annoying part is, justin has talent, no doubt. but the video does him absolutely no justice imo. on the contrary. that's why i think it was s bad choice to have him make MJ moves. 

the career-steps and some characteristics may be similar but what i would call the core traits are not there. that's why i think justin timberlake (or bruno mars) has/have less in common with MJ than one might think listening to their music. 

I may be putting my focus on other aspects.

now, MJ might have not been the epitome of a revolutionary when it comes to expressing thoughts and ideas but he sure was revolutionary in combining perfection in dance moves (on the mark, rhythmically perfect, NEW moves) and perfect pop/soul production. 

i enjoyed justin timberlake when he came across as more , let's say, original. i like to believe that was the case with his first and second album.

the last one totally disappointed me. it seems to me there was no strong concept or vision bend the music, the production and the way the product was sold. he may as well be putting his focus on something else. probably acting.

i think we moved away quite a bit from the original thread topic but i enjoy the discussion. i do get passionate about topics like these. I hope no one takes offense. :Madonna032:

I'm starting to think Madonna is posting some instagrams just to throw fans off from what she's really planning. 

Hmm, I think she sometimes uses her IG account as everyone else does, not all of her posts have a deeper meaning. 

I better not talk about bruno mars...  :smile:

these are just the kind of music artists i see deficits with.

i am glad you can enjoy their art and that you get them and that they sell. (although commercial success does not automatically equal artistic value for me) but what i see are deficits regarding depth in the ideas they convey, be it artistically or ideologically. there's a lack of edge lately. lack of originality (so many things are recycled, sound-wise especially). lack of interesting personalities (as in outstanding people who have something interesting to say; these guys hold back too much). just easy-peasy smoothness to please commercial needs. i miss the pioneer spirit. i miss the 'vroom'. especially in justin timberlake's moves after his first album. i see deficits when he makes the MJ moves in the video, they are way too smooth and not powerful enough. that's what's putting me off. and the annoying part is, justin has talent, no doubt. but the video does him absolutely no justice imo. on the contrary. that's why i think it was s bad choice to have him make MJ moves. 

the career-steps and some characteristics may be similar but what i would call the core traits are not there. that's why i think justin timberlake (or bruno mars) has/have less in common with MJ than one might think listening to their music. 

I may be putting my focus on other aspects.

now, MJ might have not been the epitome of a revolutionary when it comes to expressing thoughts and ideas but he sure was revolutionary in combining perfection in dance moves (on the mark, rhythmically perfect, NEW moves) and perfect pop/soul production. 

i enjoyed justin timberlake when he came across as more , let's say, original. i like to believe that was the case with his first and second album.

the last one totally disappointed me. it seems to me there was no strong concept or vision bend the music, the production and the way the product was sold. he may as well be putting his focus on something else. probably acting.

i think we moved away quite a bit from the original thread topic but i enjoy the discussion. i do get passionate about topics like these. I hope no one takes offense. :Madonna032:

First off, I enjoy music whether it's commercial or not. There are plenty of artists I enjoy that are unknown as well. Though, I am not ashamed to enjoy those who are very populsr. In the end, it's just subjective and I understand who I like may not be others' choice of preference. That said, music has always come in cycles, and even Madonna has been known to borrow from great talents in the entertainment business. People love nostalgia. Unfortunately, there is always those who have to criticize every silly thing and suck out an life that's just pure fun. Justin seems to be quite original and fun, yet has brought a bit of nostalgia back from early generations... whether it's from boybands or popular artists like MJ. Justin has definitely brought a lot of originality and edge to his own work.  At the same time, this idea that everything has to be "edgy" or "revolutionary" is just a contest to me. Who cares?  In the end, it's what is entertaining. Yes, I appreciate those artists who step forward and make a difference and have something to say, but even in the early days with Madonna. her "message" was questionable. Though and obviously, you don't get 30 some years into your career and still get a lot of attention without having something interesting to share. Madonna still is able to to capture the general public's attention. Furthermore, she's still looking for "commerical success". Anyone saying different, is lying to themselves. The difference is, that she has been around long enough that enough people still give her the time of day. She still remains interesting. Yet, she's a huge coorperation. She still has a lot of backign and people listen to what she has to say.

MJ may have helped carved out a history in music and dance, but I am able to see that others can continue after him and maybe even become better than him. After all, many of his own dance moves were borrowed from greats before him such as James Brown, Gene Kelly and Fred Astair. I'm sure there many others are responsible for Jackson's inspirations, but life does go on, and there wil be others who will eventually topple the success Jackson and Madonna has accomplished. It's all part of the cycle in entertainment.

i guess you're right about the cycle of entertainment.

in the end it may boild down to personal taste.

i can too enjoy fun, light-hearted fluff if you so will but i really don't understand how one could think that justin timberlake or bruno mars are all that they are currently made out to be. justin has not been entertaining to me after his second album; he has been highly overrated.

will there ever be someone who will be better than MJ? for sure. in my opinion, it is certainly not justin timberlake. or at least, yet.

there are some things i really dislike about rihanna, for example but i do feel she has more edge, more power and more of an independent character than the likes of justin timberlake. and it's not like she is really super smat with the things she says.

same goes with lady gaga. i am not a fan at all. but i can respect that she did try and do something new.

i guess, what i am focusing on is uniqueness and courage. who cares about all this?

well, me.  :Madonna005:

For me, regarding Bruno Mars and Justin is the fact, they just don't "sing and dance". They play instruments and are very involved in the song writing process of their music. Justin impressed me the most because he was among a boy group ensemble and while they had their heyday, it was obviously to me he was the most talented of that group. He started writing music for that group and some of their most popular songs are the songs he wrote. He continuted that with his solo success.

It's funny because I prefer his first solo album over anything after. I do like a number of his songs on his follow up album, but his latest album bores me. Yet, he did manage to do something different than what everyone else is doing. He really didn't create an album of friendly pop tunes. He explored a lot of sounds and genres. For me, the song is long in the tooth. Songs are much longer than they need to be. I was like, "damn, when is this song ever gonna end?" Yet, I like many elements to the album and songs even for the songs I didn't particularly like.

The same goes for Bruno. If anything, he does give you vibes of old 50's and 60's doo wop groups and then some. Again, it's refreshing to see an artist not only sing and dance well. He like Justin plays instruments and writes most of his own music.

Jackson was cool in the 80's, even though he started showing some strange eccentricities. By the 90's, he was mocked more than appreciated. Still, he managed to bring forth some great music in the early 90's. After that, it went downhill.

What I liked about Madonna is that she didn't stick to the original formula of song, dance and image. She kept switching it up and once she hit 40, she picked up the guitar. Granted, she is far from a great guitar player, but she's picked it up enough to allow herself to add another dimension to her persona and act. Jackson never did that, he kept doing the same over and over. The same goes for his sister who I actually enjoyed more than him throughout the 80's and 90's.

My point is that it's refreshing to see Bruno Mars give us some of that nostalgia that everyone enjoys, while throwing his own originality into it. The same goes with Justin. It's refreshing to see someone from a "boy band" break out from that mold and be something more. I've even enjoyed a number of his movies.

I guess for me, is that I am not always trying to compare and contrast entertainers. Rather, I just enjoy them. I love pop music. Though, I love all others genres as well.

As for Lady Gaga, I think she's lost the plot. I loved her first album and some of her follow ups, but recently I haven't the foggiest why she's acting the way she is. I still enjoy some of her newer music, but I never thought she had anything much different to offer than what has already been done. I tried to defend the fact that some were saying she flat out copied Madonna. Though, more lately, I have to wonder if her intentions are more about playing a victim than being an artist. By the way, I loved "Applause" and "Born This Way".

Anyway, we're all over the place on this topic, but that's okay. It's always nice to discuss other artists and such intelligently without the drama you find at other fan forums.

I've always got this love-hate relationwhip with Michael. I love several of his songs and I even own almost every album he released, but I agree with you guys: although he tried different things in his albums he never evolved as an artist... Madonna is a whole opposite story. I was impressed in a very bad way that he still wanted to repeat the same formula used in his previous tours in 2009, before he died. The same song for the intro (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin') was like really?

I'm sure if Michael and Madonna had collaborared together in the early 90's it would have been a total smash, better than the boring Scream thing he recorded with Janet. Maybe, their egos were too big at that time... who knows. I still wonder if Madonna's death will be as highly covered by the press as Michael's.

In MJ's defense, Madonna was in her SEX faze. MJ wasn't having any part of that. According to Madonna, he approached her to record "In the Closet".  To her, she thought it would be what the title seems to suggest, but as she stated in a '92 interview during the Erotica/Sex era, he just wanted a shocking title.

Most definitely they clashed. He was like a kid to her very adult oriented mind.

To me, it's simple....  June 25th was the five year anniversary of his death.  So for the last few weeks, he's been a "hot topic" with the media and fans rehashing his death. I'm sure the new album has helped perpetuate more convo as well. I honestly don't think there is any major motive behind her posting the pics, other than reminiscing. 

I've always got this love-hate relationwhip with Michael. I love several of his songs and I even own almost every album he released, but I agree with you guys: although he tried different things in his albums he never evolved as an artist... Madonna is a whole opposite story. I was impressed in a very bad way that he still wanted to repeat the same formula used in his previous tours in 2009, before he died. The same song for the intro (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin') was like really?

I'm sure if Michael and Madonna had collaborared together in the early 90's it would have been a total smash, better than the boring Scream thing he recorded with Janet. Maybe, their egos were too big at that time... who knows. I still wonder if Madonna's death will be as highly covered by the press as Michael's.

I don't know THAT much about him, when I was growing up he wasn't very active, and all I remember was his second trial. 

That didn't really attract me to his music, while at the same time I was becoming more and more of a Madonna fan...

I only own 1 of his albums and I've seen some of his music videos but I never really got into him. I do think he was really talented but I can't really compare with Madonna because I don't know a lot about his work to be fair. 

Madonna will hopefully live to be very very very very old lol, and I'm sure she'll get a lot of press attention but not the same type of scrutiny and sensationalism. And that's a good thing.