Black Madonna?

Ayham

I just remembered this interview for RS magazine 2009, she mentioned this shoot she did with SK for her Hard Candy album... till this day I’m wondering she did it or it was a concept/idea? Someone told me back then they did it & that the pics were mostly her on the ground. Anyone knows anything about this shoot? Glad they didn’t use or publish this shoot.

https://jezebel.com/madonna-i-did-a-photo-shoot-with-steven-klein-and-i-5384938/amp

18 hours ago, Ayham said:

I just remembered this interview for RS magazine 2009, she mentioned this shoot she did with SK for her Hard Candy album... till this day I’m wondering she did it or it was a concept/idea? Someone told me back then they did it & that the pics were mostly her on the ground. Anyone knows anything about this shoot? Glad they didn’t use or publish this shoot.

https://jezebel.com/madonna-i-did-a-photo-shoot-with-steven-klein-and-i-5384938/amp

The pics do exist (or have existed), but i think (and i hope) they will never leak. They probably have destroyed them.

I get where she wanted to go with that idea and actually that was a real interesting concept but something like 1,5 % of the world population would have got it, you know the black Madonna in the religious context. That concept was epic and tailored for her (Black Madonna, religious reference, rnb album...). If only the whole world was as cultivated as Madonna and her fans...over it lol GIF

:Madonna043::Madonna052:

The photos do exist but only a small set of 'test shots' were completed. I can kind of understand the whole concept around the whole thing but, as is the standard with a lot of Madonna's ventures - the potential for misinterpretation on this one would have been huge. At the time it was nothing to do with any movement, just more to do with her liking the juxtaposition of Black Madonna.

Her direction back then (early-mid 2007) went down like a lead balloon, though, and we eventually ended up with the heavily compromised juxtaposition of "hard vs. candy." She had some incredible ideas both musically and lyrically back then, and it's unfortunate that the corporate paper weight was placed on all of them.

18 minutes ago, azrael said:

The photos do exist but only a small set of 'test shots' were completed. I can kind of understand the whole concept around the whole thing but, as is the standard with a lot of Madonna's ventures - the potential for misinterpretation on this one would have been huge. At the time it was nothing to do with any movement, just more to do with her liking the juxtaposition of Black Madonna.

Her direction back then (early-mid 2007) went down like a lead balloon, though, and we eventually ended up with the heavily compromised juxtaposition of "hard vs. candy." She had some incredible ideas both musically and lyrically back then, and it's unfortunate that the corporate paper weight was placed on all of them.

Yeah I got her point but the idea of Black Madonna is completely different from what she’s been recording during that time... like it can be related to regional and stuff... but making an hip hop/R&B album with Black Madonna? That’s something offensive! I’ve always loved to see her doing something like Virgin Mary concept artwork. Something similar to this! ? or maybe a shoot for a magazine!

EDA2783A-F625-4674-8C79-EA8DC7A22EFA.jpeg

FYI it was a lot cooler than this, she had bright red lips! Back then the album (or at least songs she had recorded) were very far from the finished commercial R&B product. It would have been a huge risk for her but I always wish she went with it - I mean I guess people got a small taste of what was on offer with tracks like 'ANIMAL' and 'INFINITY', it was seriously a much sombre tone.

5 minutes ago, azrael said:

FYI it was a lot cooler than this, she had bright red lips! Back then the album (or at least songs she had recorded) were very far from the finished commercial R&B product. It would have been a huge risk for her but I always wish she went with it - I mean I guess people got a small taste of what was on offer with tracks like 'ANIMAL' and 'INFINITY', it was seriously a much sombre tone.

Very interesting! ?

Steven Klein also did a "Hot Lives Matter" (that was the actual title) photoshoot with models dressed as cops. As well as other shoots with models in blackface. He can be super tone deaf. 

She would have never fully recovered from this, at least in America.

I couldn't believe she said it in print either.

A part of me wishes she had done it just to see how the last decade would have gone in an alternate universe.

I will say it's a lot more creative/exciting/RISKY, classic M, than what we got for the final product. But still....

14 hours ago, azrael said:

Damn, "Animal" and "Infinity" are my two fav tracks from the Hard Candy sessions. It's torture for me to think of an album called "Black Madonna" with an amazing imagery and tracks like "Animal" & "Infinity" instead of "Hard Candy"... i think frop now on in my mind HC has never happened and we got that Black Madonna album in 2008. Fixed.

I think it’s very unlikely those images were photographed. Most of the unreleased photos from that era were stolen from Steven Klein and leaked. They would have been all over the Internet by now.

The concept is cool, but scrapping it was definitely a good idea given the fact that it would have been seen as black face.