Joan of Arc Vote

Kieran

23 members voted

1. 1. Which version of Joan of Arc is your favourite (and why?)

• Demo
    • Unreleased acoustic version
    • Album version

So JOA - in essence - is probably my favourite track of the RH sessions. However, the production on the album version totally detracts from the vulnerability and passion of the demo and 'acoustic' versions. I do not say this because I was spoilt by hearing the demo before the proper release. I expect that M intended to put the acoustic version on RH - but that this was one of the tracks she felt that she had to change after the leaks to give something different. I think that M performed the acoustic version on Ellen shows that this is the 'true' version of the song, also. 

​What frustrates me on the album version is that the 'poppy' production is completely at odds with the emotions, vulnerability and rawness of the lyrics. The acoustic version is a perfect example of the 'heart' side of M. I also think that the acoustic version fits better in the middle of the album and acts as a break from the up-beat tone of many of the other songs. 

However, when I see fans list of favourite tracks of preferred track listings, nobody says that they would prefer the acoustic track on the album instead.

Overall I prefer the acoustic version for many reasons, but I also love the 'soldier' lyric in the demo. I can see why she altered it is it does not totally make sense - but she could have amended it rather than throw it away and simply repeat 'joan of arc' again.

So which is your preferred version and why? Demo (with 'soldier' lyric), unreleased acoustics version or album version? And why?

The demo for sure. To me the album version and the final acoustic are way inferior. I dont know if she changed the music because of the leaks, or simply to make the album more trendy and superficially cohesive in production.

I also love the soldier lyric. It's probably not about the fans at all, but it was a nice way of interpreting it and it would've been very beautiful on tour if she sung this song about her and the fans. 

I love album version.

In my taste most of songs are album version is much better. 

Except just one song.

That's "Rebel Heart"

I really love Avicii version of Rebel Heart.

the others are album version is much better.