Today in Madonna History

groovyguy

#OnThisDay November 06,1990 "Justify My Love was released on November 6, 1990 by Sire Records, as the first single from her first compilation The Immaculate Collection (1990). The song later appeared on the greatest hits compilation album Celebration (2009). The song was written by Lenny Kravitz and Ingrid Chavez, with additional lyrics by Madonna. Chavez was not credited on the song, which led to a lawsuit against Kravitz. Chavez settled out-of-court, the terms of which included a songwriting credit. Madonna's vocals are primarily spoken and whispered, but almost never sung, a style which she again employed on her following album Erotica (1992).

Musically, "Justify My Love" is a trip-hop inspired song, with mid-tempo settings and instrumentation. The lyrics of the song are primarily about sex and romance. "Justify My Love" received mixed reviews from older critics, but was critically appreciated from many contemporary critics, noting it as one of Madonna's best songs to date. The song became Madonna's ninth number one on the Billboard Hot 100, while reaching the top ten in countries including Australia, Canada, Finland, New Zealand, Italy, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, including more other countries.

In the United States, "Justify My Love" peaked at number one for two weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. It also topped the Billboard Top 40 Tracks and Billboard Hot Dance Club Play charts and peaked at number 42 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The RIAA certified it platinum on February 22, 1991 for sales of over a million units. On 1991's Billboard Hot 100 year-end chart "Justify My Love" was allocated the number 21 spot.

The song received massive success in Europe as well. In the United Kingdom the single reached number two and was certified silver by the BPI on December 1, 1990. According to The Official Charts Company, the song has sold 235,000 copies in the UK. The song debuted at number 16 on the Swedish Singles Chart, eventually peaking at number eight for one week. In Norway, the song entered the chart at number seven and peaked at number three for one week, staying on the chart for nine weeks. The song entered at number 79 on the Dutch Top 40, peaking at number five. The song entered the French Singles Chart at number 42, and peaked at number 17, staying on the chart for 11 weeks. The song also peaked at number nine in Austria and number three in Switzerland.

The song was also successful in the Oceanic region. It debuted at number 14 in the Australian Singles Chart, peaking at number four. It was present on the chart for 14 weeks and was certified Gold by the ARIA.[16] It debuted at number 22 on the New Zealand Singles Chart, peaking at number five for two consecutive weeks. It was present on the New Zealand chart for a total of 16 weeks.

The accompanying music video portrayed Madonna as a woman walking in a hotel hallway, looking distressed and tired from work, until being seduced into having sex with a mysterious man and woman. It caused controversy worldwide, due to its explicit sexual images, and was subsequently banned from MTV and other TV networks. The video, which contained imagery of sadomasochism, voyeurism, and bisexuality, made its U.S. television debut December 3, 1990 on ABC during its late-night news program Nightline. The song has been performed on three of her concert tours, most recently being on her MDNA Tour in 2012.

Posted Image
Posted Image

On November 9 1990, Madonna began filming the “Justify My Love†video at the Royal Monceau Hotel in Paris, France, directed by Jean-Baptiste Mondino.
During a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) segment in September 2013, Madonna told her fans that she considers “Justify My Love†to be her favourite Madonna music video.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On this day, November 11, 2005, nine years ago, Madonna‘s Confessions On A Dance Floor was released.

"When I wrote American Life, I was very agitated by what was going on in the world around me, [...] I was angry. I had a lot to get off my chest. I made a lot of political statements. But now, I feel that I just want to have fun; I want to dance; I want to feel buoyant. And I want to give other people the same feeling. There’s a lot of madness in the world around us, and I want people to be happy. "~ Madonna

Musically Confessions On A Dance Floor is a full-on dance, electronic and disco masterpiece, structured like a set composed by a DJ.

Critically the album was very well acclaimed from music critics, with a score of 80/100 on Metacritic.

Confessions On A Dance Floor peaked at #1 in 40 countries, earning the record as the album topping the charts in most countries.
In USA it peaked at #1 with 350.000 units sold (total so far: 1.708.294).
In UK the album peaked at #1 with 217.610 copies. To date it has sold 1.300.000.
Although Confessions On A Dance Floor on November 2005, it was still the 6th world’s biggest-selling album of the year, with more than 6.300.000 copies sold, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.

The album has sold worldwide around 12.000.000 copies so far.

On this day, November 11, 2005, nine years ago, Madonna‘s Confessions On A Dance Floor was released.

"When I wrote American Life, I was very agitated by what was going on in the world around me, [...] I was angry. I had a lot to get off my chest. I made a lot of political statements. But now, I feel that I just want to have fun; I want to dance; I want to feel buoyant. And I want to give other people the same feeling. There’s a lot of madness in the world around us, and I want people to be happy. "~ Madonna

Musically Confessions On A Dance Floor is a full-on dance, electronic and disco masterpiece, structured like a set composed by a DJ.

Critically the album was very well acclaimed from music critics, with a score of 80/100 on Metacritic.

Confessions On A Dance Floor peaked at #1 in 40 countries, earning the record as the album topping the charts in most countries.
In UK the album peaked at #1 with 217.610 copies. To date it has sold 1.300.000.
Although Confessions On A Dance Floor on November 2005, it was still the 6th world’s biggest-selling album of the year, with more than 6.300.000 copies sold, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.

:heart:

Wasn't it released on Nov. 14-15  ?

Posted Image

Happy 30th anniversary Like A Virgin!

On this day, November 12, 1984, 30 years ago, Like A Virgin, Madonna‘s 2nd studio album, was released!

"Like a Virgin is a much harder album, much more aggressive than the first record. The songs on that were pretty weak. On this one I’ve chosen all the songs and I want them to be all hits—no fillers. That’s why I’ve done outside songs as well as six of my own… I wanted every song to be strong." ~ Madonna, about the songs in Like a Virgin.

The album entered the Billboard 200 at #3 and it peaked at #1 on February 9, 1985, where it stayed for three weeks. Like A Virgin was certified Diamond for selling more than 10.000.000 units.

In the UK, Like a Virgin debuted at #74 (can you believe it?) and it peaked at #1 on September 1985. The album has sold more than 900.000 copies and was certified 3xPlatinum.

Like A Virgin worldwide has sold more than 21.000.000 copies. 

The singles released are:
“Like a Virginâ€, “Material Girlâ€, “Angelâ€, “Into the Grooveâ€, “Dress You Upâ€.

Posted Image

#OnThisDay November 12, 2001 "GHV2" is released. It sold over more than 7,000,000 copies WW.

The album was originally titled Greatest Hits: The Second Coming but was changed prior to its release as Madonna wanted it to have a title which was memorable. A promotional only remix album, GHV2 Remixed: The Best of 1991–2001, was released to accompany it. The compilation was released on the eleventh anniversary of The Immaculate Collection, featuring a selection of hits ranging from "Erotica" (1992) to "What It Feels Like for a Girl" (2001). Madonna felt that because it was a "greatest hits", it should only contain previously released hit songs.

In an interview with BBC's Jo Whiley, Madonna said about the selection of the GHV2 tracks, "I only wanted songs that I could listen to five times in a row." Like The Immaculate Collection, there were many other popular singles excluded. "American Pie", which was a big hit, was excluded as a "punishment", because Madonna regretted putting it on Music. "It was something a certain record company executive twisted my arm into doing, but it didn't belong on the album so now it's being punished," she said.

The cover picture is from a 2001 photo shoot for the Drowned World Tour, by Regan Cameron. The logo in the right corner says "Madonna", and "GHV2". The Japanese lettering (モヂジラミミヂ) is the result of typing the letters 'M-A-D-O-N-N-A' on an English keyboard but with the keys re-mapped to their positions on a Japanese 'kana' keyboard. It can be pronounced as "Mo-Ji-Ji-Ra-Mi-Mi-Ji" and does not mean anything in Japanese. The proper translation for Madonna is: マドンナ. "GHV2" can also be seen on the cover picture on Madonna's eye. Kevin Reagan contributed artwork to the inner sleeve. A special edition of GHV2, featuring the same track listing, but some additional artwork, was released in December 2001. Hidden in the inner sleeve album artwork of both editions of GHV2 is a quote from "Human Nature": "Express Yourself, Don't Repress Yourself."

Posted Image

Posted Image