Synthesizers

Angelman60

I am a huge synth and sound design fan and it's surprisingly difficult to find any info about which synth preset was used on madonna's hits. I'm Especially after the true blue era info in order to re create parts from multitracks we dont have yet.

Any other info would be valuable.  Is there any other synths  curious here ?

Im very into synths and sound design and all that. There isn't a whole lot of info on her stuff. There's a few YouTube videos; an Into the Groove recreation video.... a 909 Vogue tutorial and really I think that might be it. But once you start learning about the synths themselves you realize that everybody was using the same stuff depending on how much access they had to expensive gear or not. 

For specifically True Blue... you may want to look for other artists that were using synths at the time. You may find more info on them and it may lead to what Madonna was using too. 

Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Gloria Estefan, Peter Gabriel

Oberheim OBX

Yamaha DX7

Emulator 2

Roland D50 

and potentially a Juno 6

these work the workhorse synths of the time 

drums Linn 9000,

bass sounds Roland MKS-80 and DX7, bells  (Papa Don't Preach) Alpha JUNO 

Also, Emulator II was all over PDP (Marcato Strings, Voices, Bass). In "La Isla Bonita" we can hear DX7 marimba. 

theres is defo some cross over with MJ bad album especially some of the bass slap synths. There’s a sonic cohesions between those two records. 

Hope that helps.

also some info on the debut

0FCA4A23-108D-48D6-8C36-318375C62503.jpeg

Thanks for all this info, I've seen all of this too but when I try to replicate it, the sound doesn't seem to match.

(Mostly tried the Marcato strings EII for papa don't preach which is close but not perfect)

Some stuff seems layered as hell like PDP bells right before the chorus.

Im so curious to know how they did the bassline for Who's that girl but it could also be a created sound more than a preset.

6 hours ago, Angelman60 said:

Thanks for all this info, I've seen all of this too but when I try to replicate it, the sound doesn't seem to match.

(Mostly tried the Marcato strings EII for papa don't preach which is close but not perfect)

Im so curious to know how they did the bassline for Who's that girl but it could also be a created sound more than a preset.

Have fun 

15 hours ago, Angelman60 said:

Seems so interesting. I'd love to hear your results !!!