Rupert Everett says flop movie with Madonna put 'strain' on their friendship, 'finished' him in Hollywood

adled

6 hours ago, Gazman237 said:

Wait.....didnt he do Alias after this ??  Wouldnt call that a career killer

Have to agree.  He had a number of successful parts well after TNBT.  ALIAS definitely was a great run as he was in it for the five seasons it was on, as well as being in the successful film "Monster In Law".  He has been in a steady number of movies and TV shows up until 2018.

To be fair, I think he was typecast as “the gay guy” before he worked with Madonna and had only had a little bit of success as that. His sexuality made it harder for him to get other roles as the world was more homophobic back then. Plus, literally every big actor has a flop movie now and again.

You do have to give Rupert credit for having the guts to be openly gay though. So many other had bigger success by staying in the closet.

56 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

To be fair, I think he was typecast as “the gay guy” before he worked with Madonna and had only had a little bit of success as that. His sexuality made it harder for him to get other roles as the world was more homophobic back then. Plus, literally every big actor has a flop movie now and again.

You do have to give Rupert credit for having the guts to be openly gay though. So many other had bigger success by staying in the closet.

Yea, this is so true unfortunately-  life was very different 24 years ago and longer and we forget that, because now we live so freely in most parts of the world.

47 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

lol I watched #clips

I think I watched WTG once, maybe twice I used to have a VHS recording of it. I tried to watched it again about 10 years ago and I was done in the first 15 min.

Apart of DSS and DT that I watched few times I don't think I ever watched any Madonna movie more than once, some like Swept Away : Never.

...I watched Evita and League about 3 times but since they were released.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

I think I watched WTG once, maybe twice I used to have a VHS recording of it. I tried to watched it again about 10 years ago and I was done in the first 15 min.

Apart of DSS and DT that I watched few times I don't think I ever watched any Madonna movie more than once, some like Swept Away : Never.

...I watched Evita and League about 3 times but since they were released.

I actually really enjoy Swept Away 🙈 and I love A League of Their Own, in my opinion that’s her best performance, or at least it’s my favourite performance. 

She was great in Evita, but for me… I don’t know how to explain it. Like, “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” and “Buenos Aires” are okay songs, but I love the Pablo Flores remixes. I wish there was a Pablo Flores remix of the movie! 🤭 

The worst thing about Snake Eyes is how self indulging from Ferrara and Keitel it is. 

She's really good in it though and i don't think she was bad in any movie she did, she was average in bad movies. That's the main reason i don't watch her movies once i saw them, it's not because of her, it's because the movies are bad and would have been bad even with another actress. Body of evidence is boring and looks like a tv movie version of Basic Instinct which already looked like a tv movie and was cringy tacky (verhoven signature). For Dick Tracy they spent too much time on how it looks than on the script. It's flat, no action scene and musical numbers who could have brought some rhythm were butchered. Who's That Girl it's like they did not know what they were doing and it reminds me of Whoopie Goldberg terrible 80's comedies following the brillant Jumping Jack Flash they tried to replicate but never could. I can only watch WTG in french because i can't stand the voice she chose to use in that movie.  Evita is boring, it can only be watched on a big screen to appreciate it. Even the Woody Allen she has a 2 minutes cameo in is boring bad. 

And when you watch the movies she was attached to and didn't make, well most of them were boring and flops when released with another actress.

Her true jewels are Desperately Seeking Susan because it's a good movie and a time capsule now and Truth or Dare.