Sean Penn's Abuse of Madonna

Future Lover

For those that don't know, I found this snippet in an article.

Penn was extremely violent toward his ex-wife Madonna when the two were married in the 1980s. Once, in June 1987, he allegedly caused the pop superstar to be hospitalized after hitting her across the head with a baseball bat. But Madonna, who remained protective of her husband, refused to press charges since Penn was already facing 60 days in jail for assaulting a film extra.

Things got even uglier on December 28, 1989. According to a police report filed by Madonna, Penn scaled their Malibu home that afternoon, found Madonna alone in her bedroom, and told her that he owned her “lock, stock, and barrel.â€

According to reports, “When she told him she was leaving the house, he tried to bind her hands with an electric lamp and cord. Screaming and afraid, Madonna fled from the bedroom. What followed was a nine-hour ordeal which left her deeply shaken. Penn chased her into the living room, caught her and bound her to a chair with heavy twine. Then he threatened to cut off her hair.â€

He allegedly “smacked and roughed up†Madonna while she was tied to a chair, and then left for a few hours to buy more booze—leaving his then-wife bound and gagged—only to return and continue terrorizing her. He only agreed to untie her after she “agreed to perform a degrading sex act on him,†and then fled the house, got in her car, and raced to the sheriff’s office—eventually stumbling inside.

“I hardly recognized her as Madonna,†Lt. Bill McSweeney said at the time. “She was weeping, her lip was bleeding and she had obviously been struck.â€

Penn was charged with felony domestic assault, but Madonna told the DA to drop the charges against him. He eventually pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor, and the pop star split from Penn shortly thereafter.

And to think this bastard shows up at her shows!!!

I don't doubt he was abusive but those accounts kinda seem exaggerated? Like, how come there aren't any pictures of her at the police or something? Either way he's a disgusting human being and the fans that stan her with him are even more disgusting.

Well she's friends with him so that's why he shows up to her shows. lol

That's also why Rocco hung out alone with him, I think?

I don't know wether the allegations are completely true or exagerated or whatever, but this was 30 years ago. If she can let it go then so should we.

Well she's friends with him so that's why he shows up to her shows. lol

That's also why Rocco hung out alone with him, I think?

I don't know wether the allegations are completely true or exagerated or whatever, but this was 30 years ago. If she can let it go then so should we.

No we shouldn't, supporting violence and pretending it didn't happen is unacceptable.

No we shouldn't, supporting violence and pretending it didn't happen is unacceptable.

Madonna has let go of the past, which is what i'm talking about, you're implying letting go of the past is to support violence and it is disgusting and unacceptable. So you think that of her. Bravo. Makes total sense.

Maybe it is her personal life, maybe she has a right to move on, and maybe she knows best who to be friends with and who she should allow into her life. 

The only thing I think about is, I'm glad they were able to work out their issues like adults after 30 years. I'm just a silly fan on the internet and so are you. Our opinions on her personal life don't matter.

well i don't hear Robin Wright coming out saying he beat the shit out of her too so maybe he changed - or she's being quiet.  maybe the fact that he ruined his first marriage with his violence made him wake up & get the help he needed.   I hope this is the case cuz he has kids & I hope they didn't see him abusing they're mom or themselves.  

Madonna has let go of the past, which is what i'm talking about, you're implying letting go of the past is to support violence and it is disgusting and unacceptable. So you think that of her. Bravo. Makes total sense.

Maybe it is her personal life, maybe she has a right to move on, and maybe she knows best who to be friends with and who she should allow into her life. 

The only thing I think about is, I'm glad they were able to work out their issues like adults after 30 years. I'm just a silly fan on the internet and so are you. Our opinions on her personal life don't matter.

I'm not silly so speak for yourself, and moving on is perfectly fine, the way the FANS have romanticized their relationship and want them to get back together is NOT.

All I know is it was thirty years ago and if Madonna moved on we should too. It's here nor there anymore and there's no sense in starting petty arguments over spilled milk. We're not even sure it actually happened,as the police have never gone on the news to say that Madonna was actually abused by Sean. It would've been headline news if it were actually true. Not that I'm denying that it happened,nor am I defending anyone's actions or saying said actions were justified. It's just my opinion.

All I know is it was thirty years ago and if Madonna moved on we should too. It's here nor there anymore and there's no sense in starting petty arguments over spilled milk. We're not even sure it actually happened,as the police have never gone on the news to say that Madonna was actually abused by Sean. It would've been headline news if it were actually true. Not that I'm denying that it happened,nor am I defending anyone's actions or saying said actions were justified. It's just my opinion.

The only thing this type of attitude achieves is to perpetuate the cycle of abuse that destroys lives in more ways than one. It's like Mike Tyson appearing on her record. He may have paid his dues for raping a woman, did time, he may even have been forgiven by the abused person, he still has no room being glorified on a Madonna song or anywhere for that matter. In fact, he doesn't deserve any room in the public arena. Same with Sean Penn.

Any ounce of truth to this that may exist (and I have no doubt that there is far more than an ounce) is horrid and inexcusable. I feel very strongly about this particular item and will never, ever defend or support Sean Penn, no matter how many years have gone by. The details are, of course, not our business to know. The principle of the matter though, treating people with dignity and respect even in times of disagreement, is what’s important to defend. These are the wise words that M preaches constantly. In addition to being a human who makes mistakes like the rest of us, she’s a very smart lady, and I know she speaks from experience. We’re all guilty of tolerating too much from someone in some way at some point. The fact that M has treated Sean amicably at all in recent years is just a testament to her own status as a respectable human being. She can absolutely do as she pleases. That said, I’ll still never be able to shake the unsettled feeling I get at the mention of Sean’s name, nor will anything ever derail my adamant belief that she deserved so, so much better. 

The only thing this type of attitude achieves is to perpetuate the cycle of abuse that destroys lives in more ways than one. It's like Mike Tyson appearing on her record. He may have paid his dues for raping a woman, did time, he may even have been forgiven by the abused person, he still has no room being glorified on a Madonna song or anywhere for that matter. In fact, he doesn't deserve any room in the public arena. Same with Sean Penn.

People make mistakes in life, this is a part of being human. No one can say they have never done wrong to someone else, whether it's physical or mental. What I have I learnt from Madonna is that she respects people who have done wrong by others for the fact that those people have changed to make themselves a better person.People deserve that chance.

People make mistakes in life, this is a part of being human. No one can say they have never done wrong to someone else, whether it's physical or mental.What I have I learnt from Madonna is that she respects people who have done wrong by others for the fact that those people have changed to make themselves a better person.People deserve that chance.

You can change all you want, nobody deserves a public forum after they've been convicted of rape, period. And specially not to be glorified on a record of hers, yet again one more reason why Rebel Heart is her worst album.

^ as does EVERY artist. Album sales are at an all time low they're 1/6th what they were 20 years ago.

So?? It doesn't stop other artists in HER BRACKET from selling a million albums in the US. Rebel Heart hasn't even reached a million sales worldwide.