Madonna: Ray Of Light (Poll)

angelamanda623

Madonna: Ray Of Light   

102 members voted

1. 1. Which song is your favorite from this undeniable classic?

• Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    • Swim
    • Ray Of Light
    • Candy Perfume Girl
    • Skin
    • Nothing Really Matters
    • Sky Fits Heaven
    • Shanti/Ashtangi
    • Frozen
    • The Power Of Good-bye
    • To Have And Not To Hold
    • Little Star
    • Mer Girl

"Has To Be".  Should have been included on all the editions of the album. 

I really love "Ray of Light", the album.  It ranks up there as her best album.  She really dug down deep on this one.  It was pretty different from anything she did before.  She left behind the "F off" vibe and the controversies. She focused on the music and producing something introspective and artistic.  We saw more vulnerability than we ever seen before.

But of course, Madonna wouldn't be Madonna without the attitude and rebelliousness. I would not want that to go completely away.  But for this record, she set it aside and showed a side of her that we weren't as familiar with. She really gained a lot more respect after this album.   I'd like to see her to produce another album, just focusing on this side of her.  

And most of all, she sounded so great on this album.  I'd like her to tap into that again.   

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say "hello" to....

"Promise To Try"

"Keep It Together"

"Inside of Me"

"Oh Father"

Partly agreed. It is true that Like a Prayer was overall reflective of Madonna as a human more than the star, way more than any precedent album. However to be fair Oh Father is an ambiguous song, it's about being hurt and not feeling loved by one's dad. Possibly God himself. I have reason to believe Madonna's dad was overall supportive of her, considering he was getting his life together after having lost his wife in a household of 7. Is there any interview where she admits this song is autobiographical? Evidence please. Thanks.

Inside of Me is about her mother as she explained herself.

Oh and you forgot Like A Virgin and Jimmy Jimmy.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I found this pic today. It's from the 1998 Golden Globe night but it might as well have been the Ray of Light album cover flipped horizontal lol - same pose as, just attire is black. Stunning. post-5091-151518525911_thumb.png

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Im really pleased that so many fans here love Drowned World too ? Its always been my favourite track from this era - both musically and sonically - i love the way it starts off slow - bubbles along and then ....crash explodes !! with drums and everything else ! its a very special song that gets deep down into my personality about how we substitute things for love when we cant always get it so easy - i love stuart's DWT version too and wish we had a better quality version or maybe even the elusive rehearsal version from this tour too

I also really love "Has To Be" - a very gentle song and also a twin lyrically to DW ? Again its about searching for love and to me it should have always been the closer and she should have ditched either skin(which i absolutely detest !) and to have and not to hold - i dont class ROL as her best album - to me that will always be true blue but its probably my 4th or 5th favourite - im a big fan or Orbit and i think without his production her career would never have gotten out of the doldrums from the mid 90s - unless maybe she got back with leonard or bray

This is a hard one. I have to admit this album came out when I was a teenager and it was a bit too calm for my liking. I mean I still played it anyway, but after the sleepy Bedtime Stories, the ballad box of Something to Remember, and then (yawn) Evita I welcomed anything that in someway resembled a dance track. And there were a few on this album, even if they weren't full on bangers. Ray of Light, Skin, and Nothing Really Matters. Ray of Light the song was so weird at first. Not resembling the classic I know today. And for that I will say Ray of Light. My only wish would be that it didn't become a hit everyone knows so it could still be this weird little dance track Madonna made once. Like Impressive Instant is to this day. 

Archived