Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

6 hours ago, deathproof said:

The MJ biopic is shaping up to be a big budget, highly publicized affair with a well rounded cast. Slated to come out April of 2025. 

Regardless of when the M movie comes out, her movie is going to be compared to the MJ movie nonstop. Critically and financially.

I'm still excited. 

While I’m looking forward to the fanfare I expect the MJ one will be fluff. A film that ignores the actual story and makes him out to be a saint.

Madonna’s will hopefully be a lot edgier and unique.

It does seem suss that they are still working on the script yet plan to start shooting in the next 12 months. I know this happens a lot in Hollywood but does it happen with anything truly good?

This film needs to be critically acclaimed in order to stand out amongst all the other biopics.

1 hour ago, stefo said:

It's very hard to parallel Visconti's movies aesthetics with W.E

I totally agree. I was not exactly equating WE to Visconti, but I think she was LOL. Count Visconti di Modrone was an aesthete and very concerned with the set design and the idea that everything in his films had to be real, not fake. Of course you know this better than I. Being an aristocrat with an innate good taste and sense of style, he KNEW everything and had nothing to prove, while Madonna had to learn it all  and therefore demostrate to us what she has learned. It's so blatant. Upper class themes were no stranger to Viscont but are to Madonna and, of all stories, she chose "W.E", which she approached with the emotions and sensibility of the middle classes. I'm pretty sure Tom Ford's first movie triggered her interest in directing. He, too, is very concerned with aesthetics. Both he and Madonna have inadvertently bourgeois taste when they want to affect aristocracy in their films. It's all this phoniness that conspires again many Madonna projects (her "lady of the manor" and "posh" british accent or her American Life rap are two examples amongst many). I know she is a big, big fan of Visconti, she named The Damned as one of her faves film ever; and named her son Rocco after a Visconti film, so all this emulation might have to do with that.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a second that this movie will do anything for the general public. Madonna doesn't do people pleasing stuff anymore and has been a divisive figure for a long time to win people back by telling her story her way. I'm sure the movie will be about something grander, with a storyline above her actual life. Do you guys remember I'm Going to Tell You a Secret at all?

I mean, I respect her choice to do it, and I really understand that she wants to do it herself than to have other people doing it. But this is not going to change her trajectory in Cinema nor will win the general public the same way a sanitized biopic like Bohemian Rhapsody did.

People may not want new music from her anymore but the music field was always a place she came back after failing in Hollywood because that's where she has actual talent.

1 hour ago, Gonzus said:

I totally agree. I was not exactly equating WE to Visconti, but I think she was LOL. Count Visconti di Modrone was an aesthete and very concerned with the set design and the idea that everything in his films had to be real, not fake. Of course you know this better than I. Being an aristocrat with an innate good taste and sense of style, he KNEW everything and had nothing to prove, while Madonna had to learn it all  and therefore demostrate to us what she has learned. It's so blatant. Upper class themes were no stranger to Viscont but are to Madonna and, of all stories, she chose "W.E", which she approached with middle class emotions and bourgeois taste. I'm pretty sure Tom Ford's first movie triggered her interest in directing. He, too, is very concerned with aesthetics. Both he and Madonna have inadvertently bourgeois taste when they want to affect aristocracy in their films. It's all this phoniness that conspires again many Madonna projects (her "lady of the manor" and "posh" british accent or her American Life rap are two examples amongst many). I know she is a big, big fan of Visconti, she named The Damned as one of her faves film ever; and named her son Rocco after a Visconti film, so all this emulation might have to do with that.

Very interesting reading, thank you. Your biographical and psychological analysis added new layers to the point actually. Writing before, I was specifically focused on the results, on the different meaning and efficacy of their aesthetics for the movies; you helped me getting a step further, analyzing the backgrounds and attitudes :cute:

Posted (edited)

I think she needs Patty Jenkins or Rob Marshall as a big budget hollywood director to have her film be a hit. Madonna as a director will feel still too indie/small she would be worried about her message (the light) instead of entertain us.

Or honestly someone like Tarantino/Baz Lurman for a pure bonkers but entertaining film that is not a straight up biopic.

Edited by littlestartman (see edit history)

Goddamn y'all are depressing as shit. Tour over...and we're right back to perpetually complaining. As always.

Good for her to start her movie. I'm definitely looking forward to it. And it was obvious that it was eventually going to happen one way or another. The fact that it will follow the tour makes complete sense. As someone said, as a legacy artist now, there probably is more they can do for her legacy than a new album that would just be geared to the hardcore fans (that of course, we all eventually want, and I'm sure will eventually get).

ps. and as for saying none of the films she's acted in are worth watching (for whatever various reasons) - BULL. Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League Of Their Own, Dangerous Game (Snake Eyes), and Evita absolutely say otherwise. Her own film, W.E., is also a beautiful film. And dare I say she even shines in "Who's That Girl", where her unlikely strength in comedy actually shines.

14 hours ago, Pedro Beltran said:

My crazy dreams is Music inspired by “Madonna the biopic” 

We know she does things differently and while the main attraction of the movie is the hits she could be cooking something different. Like the Dick Tracy soundtrack album. 

That could explain so many recording session rumors 

That sounds like a great idea to me. New music inspired by the story of her life. I'm all for it.

30 minutes ago, littlestartman said:

They look nothing alike.

Sean had a much mature and less pretty face gu5s8hruq8461.jpg

Tom is a twink at 30 while sean was a 25 yo that looked 35

He looks more like Sean than Julia looks like Madonna

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

ps. and as for saying none of the films she's acted in are worth watching (for whatever various reasons) - BULL. Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League Of Their Own, Dangerous Game (Snake Eyes), and Evita absolutely say otherwise

Her only main role in these examples is Evita.

50 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Please no. She needs to generate new interest in her back catalogue. That’s the main benefit of doing a biopic.

Don’t you want new music? 

I think songs like Nobody knows me, love spent, gone, easy ride, keep it together, Hollywood, among others are very interesting insights into her life or inspired by her life. Isn’t joa and heartbreak city and bitch I'm madonna also inspired by herself? 

And I agree that the back catalogue is extremely important and relevant to the movie if it wasn’t full of the “hits” it would take away much of the fun of it.  My OST idea was a side project not a replacement of her original music  

I a few words we need new music pronto 

So disappointing as hoping it would stay shelved - it will take the next few years up of all her time at the expense of new music and is highly likely to be an another awful film she has been connected with plus the critics will all slate it no matter what as it's like a pastime for them to come up with the most damning one liners about Madonna the films she has been involved with