Has Shep Pettibone heard Love Hurts demo?

14 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I like that song for its lyrics but to me it seems obvious why it was dropped. The chorus and hook is weak. Based on the demos it also seems like they kept trying to make it work but it just never did. People knock Fever cos it was a cover but it’s pretty great, especially on The Girlie Show.

Yeah I like the lyrics as well but somehow that song just doesn’t work in whatever shape or form. Would have been a total filler if it made Erotica.

Fever is probably one of the most adventurous and exciting cover versions of the song. It’s an entirely new take, works perfectly in context of the album and she absolutely made the song her. That alone is such a challenge considering that it’s such a well-known classic.

17 hours ago, MPowered said:

How could anyone not read "something about the song didn’t grab Madonna", "the song just wasn’t working" and her changing the song to Fever and later dropping it from the album entirely as her not hating it? 😂😂😂

Sorry, but context is everything. And we have the audios to back up the narrative. Just because someone said "something isnt working" doesn't mean they "hate" it. If Madonna hated GTI, then she wouldn't have kept it on the tracklist for so long until late August, and dropping it in favor for Did You Do It. Let alone, release it commercially a few yrs later.

17 hours ago, MPowered said:

"Wasn’t working", "Didn’t grab" are very obvious synonyms for "She hated it" as proven by other examples from the diary where Shep used that phrase.

If your'e going by that logic, then Madonna hates Erotica, Rain, Thief of Hearts, and Deeper and Deeper lol.

47 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Sorry, but context is everything. And we have the audios to back up the narrative. Just because someone said "something isnt working" doesn't mean they "hate" it. If Madonna hated GTI, then she wouldn't have kept it on the tracklist for so long until late August, and dropping it in favor for Did You Do It. Let alone, release it commercially a few yrs later.

If your'e going by that logic, then Madonna hates Erotica, Rain, Thief of Hearts, and Deeper and Deeper lol.

Well, she definitely didn't like whatever those first few demos were. I think what we have may as well be just the very tip of the iceberg.

We probably will never know how she truly feels about that song but it seems that whatever the song was before the reworked it into it's final form, wasn't one of her absolute favorites.

6 hours ago, MPowered said:

We probably will never know how she truly feels about that song but it seems that whatever the song was before the reworked it into it's final form, wasn't one of her absolute favorites.

That’s based on your own assumptions. She must have liked it enough to keep the song around for 10 months before moving it into the house direction.

25 minutes ago, deathproof said:

That’s based on your own assumptions. She must have liked it enough to keep the song around for 10 months before moving it into the house direction.

The evidence suggests that it’s the very opposite of your assumption.

36 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Not sure about you but if I like something I keep it. If I don’t like something, I discard it….

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

I already presented the evidence, so....

Okay and where?

looking-around-searching-for-you.gif

All I've seen was people calling Shep a liar without any actual proof and mostly hearsay.

51 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes but not enough to put it on the album. She preferred Fever. Which is understandable.

Gt_ngY.gif

Madonna when her psychic told her that a bunch of fags were gonna argue about her disliking/not disliking Goodbye To Innocence after replacing it with Fever in the future:

Gt_ngY.gif

Sometimes, just sometimes, an artist will work on a song for months and then hold it back from the upcoming release because sometimes, just sometimes, it no longer fits the concept of the album. And then the right album for it just never materialises because an artist keeps moving forward instead of backwards. Doesn't mean they hate it or disliked it, it just no longer represents what the album is about.

On 7/21/2024 at 6:30 PM, Roland Barthes said:

not le monde diplo but les inrocks and others but i'm ok being called a random forum member, it'd what we all are here after all...except i interviewed Jane Brinton once, Shep's manager then and she said he was full of shit and to this day he still won't go back to music because Madonna did not want to make bedtime stories with him, he thought, quote , that Erotica was gonna be his Thriller that will make him the new in demand super producer. It did not and wanted his revenge with Madonna's following album but she changed her mind and he lost it. The Erotica diaries can't be trusted for one reason : he totally dismisses Tony Shimkin's role in the production of the album just like he wanted to fuck him up with the credits ( he sued him for Vogue in retaliation when Shimkin ended up managing the Salsoul catalogue at blue note) and Madonna sided with Shimkin on this, which he resented. He's still very bitter about Madonna and dismissive.  Plus Brinton told me that a lot of his remixes were done by his sound engineers and she even did some herself (not the biggest names). So yes he's as shady as some random forum members.

You'll never beat the pot calling allegations, won't you?

EDIT: oops you were talking about someone else, but it doesn't matter as I don't take back anything I said...

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

There was a time when both were on the tracklist. At the end of the day, she decided to use Did You Do It instead.

And what does that tells us? 😂👍

She preferred an extremely bad remix of a song from the album over Goodbye To Innocence.

25 minutes ago, MPowered said:

And what does that tells us? 😂👍

She preferred an extremely bad remix of a song from the album over Goodbye To Innocence.

Schöner, maybe the remix just made her remind of the shady, corny things she used to say to Barbone like O'Brien could've suggested to her book???

Anyways the Just Say Roe version of GTI would never have deserved to find a place in Erotica - and I bet the inclusion of it would never have made the album less Erotten to you, right?

I've just listened to "Love hurts" on Youtube and if the ones i have played are the real deal than it's just an early demo of "Erotica" to me... An early concept wich evolved musically and thematically when she brought in the idea of the Dita personna... To me she didn't "ditch" the song, she just made it evolve till the final stage which is "Erotica". Again i'm no expert to the Erotica era and the chronology of the recordings so i could be wrong, i just give my opinion from what i hear on "Love hurts".

57 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

Oh i've made my comments thinking people were arguing over "Love hurts" like mentionned in the title of the thread 😂 i've just read the whole thread and realise it's about "Goodbye to innocence" 😂😂😂

They’re not arguing , they’re flirting