Gambler single B-side ?

Rebel

53 minutes ago, Rebel said:

it has Black 'N Blue - Nature of the beach was this also a track from the vision quest movie? 

can anyone explain why this was choosen as a B-side? 

I have no idea (maybe it plays briefly in the background in the movie). Sometimes different songs are chosen for the B-side that aren't on the main album, possibly to offer exclusive content or to promote other artists or songs.

Yeah the single was released on Geffen and Sire actually stopped it being released in the USA cos they didn't want it to interfere with promoting Madonna's albums. So that's probably why Warning Signs wasn't used. The Black n Blue album had just been released on Geffen the month before so they were undoubtedly promoting that using Madonna's popularity.

It's weird, i've always thought it was on the Vision Quest ost (and i own this album) !!!

considering the writers for the b-side of a 7inch at the time earnt half of the revenue from the a side (i read that in the Prince Parade and Sign of the times studio era book) so they must have made good money since Gambler was very popular in Europe (Madonna's first peak and assault in the charts with various singles at the same time....in France Gambler, Into The Groove, Crazy For You and Dress You Up were competing against each others)

On 7/31/2024 at 7:36 PM, Roland Barthes said:

It's weird, i've always thought it was on the Vision Quest ost (and i own this album) !!!

considering the writers for the b-side of a 7inch at the time earnt half of the revenue from the a side (i read that in the Prince Parade and Sign of the times studio era book) so they must have made good money since Gambler was very popular in Europe (Madonna's first peak and assault in the charts with various singles at the same time....in France Gambler, Into The Groove, Crazy For You and Dress You Up were competing against each others)

At home, CRAZY FOR YOU wasn't broadcast at all in the area where I lived. Regional radio mostly played INTO THE GROOVE, DRESS YOU UP & GAMBLER. We didn’t have access to a national broadcast at that time.

To come back to NATURE OF THE BEACH, this track is doing a parallel promotion for the second album of BLACK'N BLUE which is distributed by Geffen Records, although there is no information on this B-side on the vinyl sleeve or on the vinyl sticker.

It was a way to promote this rock band, in a rather awkward way :Madonna008: