Madonna on Instagram / Facebook / Twitter + other Social Media

groovyguy

1 minute ago, Blue Skies said:

When I still watched MTV as a kid I remember the Frozen video got showed quite a bit.  I think it was the first video off Ray of Light.  

Most of the VJ's then were like wow very cool and good to see her again.  And that was only 1216 days between albums.

That list is hard to believe 

Ray of Light rang in a new enlighten era for Madonna.  She did Evita and had a child.  The public was quite interested in her at the time.  MTV was still into Madonna and the public was ready to embrace a new Madonna again. Of course, it didn't have the same impact as LAP or True Blue, but it became far more critically successful than she's ever has been appreciated. I think the public was interested in seeing a Madonna who was more mature and not being so sexually provocative.

We also have to remember that back then, just because there was so many days between a studio album, she still released so much in between compared to more recently.  So while there were a couple of years before a studio album, the public wasn't absent of Madonna material between Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light. Evita and Something to Remember filled in the gaps.

6 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

When I still watched MTV as a kid I remember the Frozen video got showed quite a bit.  I think it was the first video off Ray of Light.  

Most of the VJ's then were like wow very cool and good to see her again.  And that was only 1216 days between albums.

That list is hard to believe 

Same here, not as young as you though… 

Someone mentioned that there was Evita between BS and ROL so it didn’t feel that long I guess, it was all Madonna all the time in those days. 

Even though there are people adamant and loving having a position about not having an album anywhere in the immediate future, I prefer to have new music sooner than later… not expecting anything though so no disappointments here 🤪🤪🤪🤪

4 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Same here, not as young as you though… 

Someone mentioned that there was Evita between BS and ROL so it didn’t feel that long I guess, it was all Madonna all the time in those days. 

Even though there are people adamant and loving having a position about not having an album anywhere in the immediate future, I prefer to have new music sooner than later… not expecting anything though so no disappointments here 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Back then though there was no social media.  So even though she was as famous as she was there was still sort of a sense of mystery about her and what was going on IMO.  

I think that's what made that list so surprising of longest time in between albums.  I mean with fan forums, social media, playlists and what not you still see and hear what goes on with her even if it's been that long between albums.  

12 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

I think that's what made that list so surprising of longest time in between albums.  I mean with fan forums, social media, playlists and what not you still see and hear what goes on with her even if it's been that long between albums.  

For a lot of fans 1988 seemed to be the longest back in the day.  While we've had dry periods a bit longer since then, the difference is we didn't have social media as you pointed out.  But back then, there were a lot of magazine articles that seemed to fill in the gap.

As always it's great to have a mature discussion with someone as yourself.  :luv:

31 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

ROL was kind of the last time she was embraced by MTV as a current, not old, artist. At least in the US.

It was partly the time. Just before the onslaught of much younger girls influenced by her. Teen pop had been creeping up but the floodgates really opened in 99.

And also that it came out a bit before she turned 40. MTV news had coverage about her 40th. Random celebs (I remember one was Christina Ricci) wished her happy bday.

At the time it seemed sweet but in hindsight it was like the death knell.

Music did well and even Hung Up, but by that point she was the cool mom.

5 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

ROL was kind of the last time she was embraced by MTV as a current, not old, artist. At least in the US.

It was partly the time. Just before the onslaught of much younger girls influenced by her. Teen pop had been creeping up but the floodgates really opened in 99.

And also that it came out a bit before she turned 40. MTV news had coverage about her 40th. Random celebs (I remember one was Christina Ricci) wished her happy bday.

At the time it seemed sweet but in hindsight it was like the death knell.

Music did well and even Hung Up, but by that point she was the cool mom.

Perhaps you remember it but around March or April or sometime in the Spring of 1998 MTV had Kurt Loder hosted a special all weekend with a timeline of her career, all her videos, interviews, etc...  That was the genesis of me being a fan and where I started to get interested in her.

I remember on TRL she usually wasn't in the top videos on the show but she got shown enough to still have a presence on it.  

But MTV has been dead for a while now.  

28 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

Perhaps you remember it but around March or April or sometime in the Spring of 1998 MTV had Kurt Loder hosted a special all weekend with a timeline of her career, all her videos, interviews, etc...  That was the genesis of me being a fan and where I started to get interested in her.

I remember on TRL she usually wasn't in the top videos on the show but she got shown enough to still have a presence on it.  

You were to witness when U.S. Mtv was truly appreciative of Madonna. But that changed after ROL era.  It got a bit weird for a few years in the 2000's.   Radio was ready to ditch her, but MTV was still willing to give her a chance and helped her during the Confessions on a  Dance Floor era. Then it was downhill from there. Both Kurt Loder and John Norris were big fans.  Carson Daily somewhat continues that appreciation, but once MTV was overtaken by Reality shows, Madonna and music video was pretty dead. 

1 minute ago, McDonna said:

You were to witness when U.S. Mtv was truly appreciative of Madonna. But that changed after ROL era.  It got a bit weird for a few years in the 2000's.   Radio was ready to ditch her, but MTV was still willing to give her a chance and helped her during the Confessions on a  Dance Floor era. Then it was downhill from there. Both Kurt Loder and John Norris were big fans.  Carson Daily somewhat continues that appreciation, but once MTV was overtaken by Reality shows, Madonna and music video was pretty dead. 

I remember a special for American Life Carson Daly hosted when it came out.

VH1 I recall in the late 90s had blocks of new videos and shows with timelines of Madonna events as well.  I remember the lead up to her Behind The Music on it 1998.  Before then I think on that show most of the artists they showed were either dead or way past their fame.  But like MTV VH1 pretty much sucks now as well.  Lol 

30 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

Yup! There were a few specials about it- the MTV Ultrasound about the making of the album, a VH1 special called I think Madonna Rising. Others too I’m sure.

I remember watching the premiere of Frozen on what later was rebranded TRL, but was called I think Total Request at the time. No studio audience; it was Carson Daily and a guest celeb or two.

That day was Jenna Elfman and some guy. They talked all about the video and she was like, “ooo she’s wearing henna, I wonder if it will become a trend because MADONNA is wearing it!”

Of course the following year Britney and Xtina and JLo and their crop tops redirected things. But the ROL era was a fun time to be a fan.

10 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

I remember a special for American Life Carson Daly hosted when it came out.

VH1 I recall in the late 90s had blocks of new videos and shows with timelines of Madonna events as well.  I remember the lead up to her Behind The Music on it 1998.  Before then I think on that show most of the artists they showed were either dead or way past their fame.  But like MTV VH1 pretty much sucks now as well.  Lol 

Yes, MTV had hosted MTV "Madonna  On Stage and On The Record" for the American Life album rollout. That was hosted by Carson Daily. Unfortunately, that was overshadowed by the Americal Life video which was pulled. 

Though that didn't keep MTV from supporting Madonna throughout the Confession era.  They were responsible for airing  I'm Going to Tell You a Secret" in 2005,  as well as supporting her COAD album videos... specifically Hung Up and Sorry.  Both videos were huge during TRL at the time.

VH1 by this point was just a parody of MTV.  

8 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Yes, MTV had hosted MTV "Madonna  On Stage and On The Record" for the American Life album rollout. That was hosted by Carson Daily. Unfortunately, that was overshadowed by the Americal Life video which was pulled. 

Though that didn't keep MTV from supporting Madonna throughout the Confession era.  They were responsible for airing  I'm Going to Tell You a Secret" in 2005,  as well as supporting her COAD album videos... specifically Hung Up and Sorry.  Both videos were huge during TRL at the time.

VH1 by this point was just a parody of MTV.  

Nontheless I thought VH1 back in the day was a good station: Behind The Music, Storytellers, Women first, Pop Up Video, celebrity rock and roll Jeopardy, etc..  I dont even know what's on it today 

4 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

Nontheless I thought VH1 back in the day was a good station: Behind The Music, Storytellers, Women first, Pop Up Video, celebrity rock and roll Jeopardy, etc..  I dont even know what's on it today 

Yes, they only followed MTV's lead.  Many people don't realize they were owned by the same company which was PARAMOUNT GLOBAL.

9 hours ago, Mden said:

@wildcardgrande

today officially marks the longest madonna has ever gone without releasing an album (studio album) throughout her entire career6B25411F-B19A-4579-92BD-4F21BB794894.thumb.jpeg.ebc76a1cc78d9ba6afc39b2e09c6fb8a.jpeg

https://x.com/wildcardgrande/status/1705523912002416792?s=20

It was so normal, the expectation about a new album, and as she had always changed her looks, another surprise would come along too! But this lists mistakenly forgot I'm Breathless, (through touring and filming) and Evita!!!! And all other singles which had lots of promo and TV appearances or Awards ...