When Madonna became a grown up - Guy Pratt interview

Enrico

A few days ago I was telling my students that everyone in his life has a moment - generally a tragic moment - when he becomes an adult. That life-changing experience  after which you won't be the same anymore. There is a great explanation of this feeling in the film "Neverland". To me, for instance, it came quite late in my life: I fell in love with a straight guy, lost my mind, realized that I was gay (I knew it already, of course, but it was different), lost my illusions and my confidence, turned my heart into stone.

But enough about me. I was rewatching the WTGT in Turin and was amazed by this smiling Madonna, with no queen attitude, that has been gone for years. The one that says "Per favore non spingete, no... no" or "Vi vo(g)lio tanto bene, tutti quanti". The one that doesn't seem to keep the distance. Then I thought that the failure of the marriage with Sean Penn could be, for Madonna, that turning point when she became an adult. I always thought that it was the death of her mother, but maybe it was too early.

Strangely, I just found a new interview with Guy Pratt, who played the bass in the Like a Prayer album. Here he says:

SDE: And Like a Prayer is a great record of hers to be on because that’s probably her best album, I think.

GP: It is her best album, yes. I think that’s when she became a grown up.

If we think about Like a Prayer, there has never been such a mature album in her career (it's my favourite). We know that it comes from her divorce, but also MDNA :laughing: :devil: I think it's more than that. What do you think?

If you want to read the full interview:

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/bass-player-guy-pratt-talks-to-sde-about-his-life-in-music-and-lockdown-licks/

I'll share another interesting bit where Guy recalls the recording of OH FATHER, confirming how Madonna is a "first time right" singer!

SDE: You mentioned Pat Leonard. I know you played on the Madonna record [Like A Prayer], is that one of the occasions where she was there while you were doing it?

GP: Yes she was always there.

SDE: What was she like? Because I’ve read Nile Rogers’ autobiography, and he said he had to tell her off because she was being very curt and semi-insulting to some people in the studio…

GP: No, no, she was amazing. She came in and she had all these big, top guys [with her] and she had everyone heads bowed, yes ma’am, no ma’am, within 30 seconds. And I think I said, I can’t remember exactly, but something really cheeky to her, early on, and I was in, it was great! So if you stood up to her then she was great; yes, she was fairly snappy but absolutely fucking brilliant, it must be said. The one I always remember is when we did ‘Oh, Father’, and the take ran three times, we literally just ran through it once, she sang it in the control room, sang a guide vocal, then pointed out everything she thought everyone was doing wrong, and she was right! And we ran it again, and that was it, it went down, and that guide vocal is the vocal that’s on the record.

I think she’s had lots of grown up moments like most of us really - musically yes LAP was her first serious record but a lot of that was she being introspective at the time - she was newly divorced, she had outlived her own mothers age so I guess it was some kind of wake up call - then I would imagine being a mother was her biggest re-birth ( no pun intended ) but she has explained this in many interviews so it’s no mystery- I think when she was with Sean and Guy she was certainly less wild as I would imagine they both tried to control what she wore and said etc - I think that’s why she goes for young guys now - just easy maintenance not to mention an ego boost too ?

I do love these studio tidbits we get on the making of this album I just wish we had actual behind the scenes footage from this era about the making of this iconic album plus the videos - imagine how cool it would be to see on-set footage of the express, prayer and oh father videos ?

on a personal note I’ve known I was gay from about 13 years old - I’m happy you fell in love and hopefully are happier now ? It’s not easy being gay imo 

1 hour ago, madgefan said:

Had to listen to Oh Father again. God, I miss the pre-autotune era so much. Last time we could hear her voice with no twaking was I Deserve It?

I would have to disagree. The American Life album was full of relatively raw vocals. There are songs on subsequent albums like Like It Or Not that contain vocal clarity, and much of Stuart Price's production played on the notion of the voice as merely an instrument in the mix, going in and out of filters. Hard Candy contains many unadorned vocal moments. Masterpiece is pure Madonna, and much of Rebel Heart leaves her voice relatively unprocessed. Living For Love is in itself testament to Madonna's raw vocals being relatively intact by the time they reach the final mix. Listening to the demos is a good reminder of just how little Madonna's voice is altered in the studio. Madame X is a choice in style that many fans have expressed a dislike of, but one only has to hear her sing on her IG account to hear how clear and pleasant Madonna's voice can be when she is in a well-matched acoustic environment. 

6 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

on a personal note I’ve known I was gay from about 13 years old - I’m happy you fell in love and hopefully are happier now ? It’s not easy being gay imo 

Oh, no, it was so tragic... I fell in love with my best friend but he didn't. Took me years to get over it. Let's describe it this way:

It was so easy in the beginning
When you didn't feel like running from your feelings like you are now
What happened? What do I remind you of?
Your past, your dreams or some part of yourself that you just can't love?
I wish I could believe you or at least have the courage to leave you

It's amazing what a boy can do, I cannot stop myself
Wish I didn't want you like I do, want you and no one else

I know how to laugh, but I don't know happiness

And I must confess that I am usually drawn to sadness
And loneliness has never been a stranger to me

21 hours ago, Enrico said:

Oh, no, it was so tragic... I fell in love with my best friend but he didn't. Took me years to get over it. Let's describe it this way:

It was so easy in the beginning
When you didn't feel like running from your feelings like you are now
What happened? What do I remind you of?
Your past, your dreams or some part of yourself that you just can't love?
I wish I could believe you or at least have the courage to leave you

It's amazing what a boy can do, I cannot stop myself
Wish I didn't want you like I do, want you and no one else

I know how to laugh, but I don't know happiness

And I must confess that I am usually drawn to sadness
And loneliness has never been a stranger to me

I think this is really sweet and revealing. I think a lot of us can relate in one way or another, and try to find the uplifting and powerful lyrics to counter balance. "You,ll see !"