Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

3 minutes ago, tscott said:

Is this world-wide?  I ask because looking back at earlier post, after the first day, Popular did double that. 

Yes, worldwide. It's normal "Popular" did better, in the end The Weeknd has +100M monthly listeners on the platform and Sam Smith has nearly half that figure, 56M. It's still an excellent debut.

About "Popular", it's up to 22.356.882 streams today.

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Yes, worldwide. It's normal "Popular" did better, in the end The Weeknd has +100M monthly listeners on the platform and Sam Smith has nearly half that figure, 56M. It's still an excellent debut.

About "Popular", it's up to 22.356.882 streams today.

Yeah, there is nothing to sneeze about Vulgar streaming numbers.  It still is good.  And I (and you) suspected this would happen. 

8.01 MILLION STREAMS YESTERDAY 

Pre-digital era female artists on Spotify (June 9)

1. @shakira 18M
2. Beyonce 14.6M
3. @Madonna 8.01M*
4. @shreyaghoshal 7.98M*
5. @Sia 7.02M
6. @Pink 6.76M
7. @thealkayagnik 6.07M
8. BritneySpears 5.12M
9. @MariahCarey 3.82M
10. #LataMangeshkar 3.24M
11. #WhitneyHouston 3.22M

6 hours ago, tscott said:

What's the deal with the U.S.?  Biggest entertainment industry in the world, and they can't give her some loving?  So frustrating. 

I don't know that it has to do with her exactly. Popular has been pretty embraced in America, much more so than several of her songs. 

The issue is that Sam is not exactly the hit maker than Unholy made people believe that they are. Unholy was their first real success since before the pandemic (so they went a whole album cycle with little to no noise) and then the album Unholy is attached to didn't do particularly well either. Sam doesn't have a super strong audience, and Vulgar didn't catch on virally pre-release like Unholy did. The song flew way under the radar and I'll bet most people are only truly aware of Popular as between the two of them, it's the one that's getting some actual proper playlisting and social promotion. 

Vulgar is a non-starter. And it's probably for the better that Popular came out on top because it's a vastly superior track. 

6 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

Mariah Carey's Spotify page says she is the best-selling female recording artist of all time.

That's a LIE. Is there anything we can do?

I've checked and that bio is uploaded by the artist/team, so not really. If her and/or her press team want to say that there's not much no one can do about it - except for being corrected on social media, etc.

It happened with TLC too. For YEARS all their official bios bragged about them being the biggest selling female group ever, period. And that's not true. They were the biggest selling female group IN the US. Worldwide it was the Spice Girls, of course. Now TLC say it like it is: "we were the biggest selling female group in this country", bla, bla, but it took them years.

In the end it's all hype, so who cares.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

I've checked and that bio is uploaded by the artist/team, so not really. If her and/or her press team want to say that there's not much no one can do about it - except for being corrected on social media, etc.

It happened with TLC too. For YEARS all their official bios bragged about them being the biggest selling female group ever, period. And that's not true. They were the biggest selling female group IN the US. Worldwide it was the Spice Girls, of course. Now TLC say it like it is: "we were the biggest selling female group in this country", bla, bla, but it took them years.

In the end it's all hype, so who cares.

Watch it become a K-Pop girl band that none of us will know a single song of that's gonna outsell the Spice Girls in a few years.

10 hours ago, Future Lover said:

I don't know that it has to do with her exactly. Popular has been pretty embraced in America, much more so than several of her songs. 

The issue is that Sam is not exactly the hit maker than Unholy made people believe that they are. Unholy was their first real success since before the pandemic (so they went a whole album cycle with little to no noise) and then the album Unholy is attached to didn't do particularly well either. Sam doesn't have a super strong audience, and Vulgar didn't catch on virally pre-release like Unholy did. The song flew way under the radar and I'll bet most people are only truly aware of Popular as between the two of them, it's the one that's getting some actual proper playlisting and social promotion. 

Vulgar is a non-starter. And it's probably for the better that Popular came out on top because it's a vastly superior track. 

I’m not sure about Unholy pre release but I don’t see how Vulgar would have gone viral prerelease. They released a few snippets a week before. That’s hardly any time for people to include the song in their TikTok’s or YouTube videos… 

Popular is different because it’s The Weeknd and also because it’s connected to a major HBO show that had millions invested in marketing pre release.

The only issue I see with Vulgar is that both Madonna and Sam are visual artists and this song desperately needs a video.
I think that would make it an instant hit.

2 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

I’m not sure about Unholy pre release but I don’t see how Vulgar would have gone viral prerelease. They released a few snippets a week before. That’s hardly any time for people to include the song in their TikTok’s or YouTube videos… 

Popular is different because it’s The Weeknd and also because it’s connected to a major HBO show that had millions invested in marketing pre release.

The only issue I see with Vulgar is that both Madonna and Sam are visual artists and this song desperately needs a video.
I think that would make it an instant hit.

Agreed, but I would add that Vulgar isn't a song that I feel the General public would latch onto as they would Popular.  The latter is more radio friendly and the Weeknd just reaches more people and platforms. 

I totally agree an official music video should be made for Vulgar.  Not sure why they didn't do one, unless they were gauging to see how well it does, before putting more money into it.  However, both are busy with their tours now, so it probably won't happen.