The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

Nobody is talking about the tour. Popular and VOLGUR took over. She is so fucking smart. I haven't thought about her setlist in days! Of course the tour will come into focus when she drops her next solo single. Looking forward to watching the charts over the next few weeks. This is an exciting era and it is so good that she has that WB contract. If she didn't we wouldn't be getting any of this. I do need a new magazine cover story (come on Rolling Stone). Just my opinion

10 hours ago, truerebel said:

Good, never liked her styling with M 

You are probably confusing her with Bea Akerlund that can be a huge miss. Arianne worked on every tour from Drowned World to Rebel Heart and 95% of the times the work was amazing. Same for the styling of her albums (Ray Of Light, Music, American Life, Confessions, MDNA, Rebel Heart). 

On 6/8/2023 at 2:41 AM, Honey Little said:

Yes, but I mean puré live vocals like in who’s that girl tour, blond ambition, drowned world, girlie show and Virgin tour. I prefer one or the other. Personally, i don’t like the sound of her live vocals mixed in with the backing track.

Those days are gone and they will never, ever return. Not just for Madonna but period. Singing over a backing track has become the industry standard in every genre of music. The classic rock stars are doing it, the country stars are doing it, the pop stars are doing it. It's been integrated into the very fabric of touring these days because artists have realized that it just isn't going to work for them to be carrying a show completely on their own at full blast for the length of a tour. 

That's why back in the day we used to see artists either doing shorter tours (like M used to do) or they'd push out on a long tour, destroy their voice, and it'd be completely damaged later on in life. Some artists managed to escape that fate, but they were few and far between. Today, artists are touring for longer and doing bigger shows than ever before and the use of a live vocal mixed with a backing track has become a life saver. 

It's here to stay. I'm sorry for anyone who wants just pure live vocals, but unless you're seeing a smaller artist in a club, it's just never going to be what you get when you pay for a ticket anymore. 

28 minutes ago, Future Lover said:

Those days are gone and they will never, ever return. Not just for Madonna but period. Singing over a backing track has become the industry standard in every genre of music. The classic rock stars are doing it, the country stars are doing it, the pop stars are doing it. It's been integrated into the very fabric of touring these days because artists have realized that it just isn't going to work for them to be carrying a show completely on their own at full blast for the length of a tour. 

That's why back in the day we used to see artists either doing shorter tours (like M used to do) or they'd push out on a long tour, destroy their voice, and it'd be completely damaged later on in life. Some artists managed to escape that fate, but they were few and far between. Today, artists are touring for longer and doing bigger shows than ever before and the use of a live vocal mixed with a backing track has become a life saver. 

It's here to stay. I'm sorry for anyone who wants just pure live vocals, but unless you're seeing a smaller artist in a club, it's just never going to be what you get when you pay for a ticket anymore. 

Thanks for all this history and info. I am not a big concert goer so I didn’t know. I appreciate your detailed explanation. Hugs.

6 hours ago, Ekans said:

Singing over a backing track has never made sense to me. It makes it quite obvious that there’s some sort of lip syncing going on, besides the result is totally messy. It’d be better to fully lipsync over pre-recorded vocals instead of singing over an album acapella.

I don’t mind a backing track in certain parts of a song, but when it’s the entirety of a performance it’s absolute crap, and most artists only use them for a chorus. What drove me mad on RHT was that in person there were times you could only hear the track because her mic was so low in the mix - one example being Devil Pray.

13 hours ago, Ekans said:

Singing over a backing track has never made sense to me. It makes it quite obvious that there’s some sort of lip syncing going on, besides the result is totally messy. It’d be better to fully lipsync over pre-recorded vocals instead of singing over an album acapella.

6 hours ago, scion said:

I don’t mind a backing track in certain parts of a song, but when it’s the entirety of a performance it’s absolute crap, and most artists only use them for a chorus. What drove me mad on RHT was that in person there were times you could only hear the track because her mic was so low in the mix - one example being Devil Pray.

Yeah, I don't mind a backing track to help enhance the vocals, especially during parts she may not actually sing live, but to sing over a full vocal backing track, makes it hard to ad lib.  And when she does, it's so obvious she's this singing along with a track.  When she performed Rebel Heart (the song) on tour it drove me nuts because I can hear her singing, but the backing track was nearly taking over.  When she would screamingly ad lib "Fuck yeah" over "Hell Yeah", it drove me bonkers. 

I get it; she is usually doing a million things while singing, but I prefer to hear her out of breath and out of tune vocals than her just singing to a backing track. 

25 minutes ago, tscott said:

Yeah, I don't mind a backing track to help enhance the vocals, especially during parts she may not actually sing live, but to sing over a full vocal backing track, makes it hard to ad lib.  And when she does, it's so obvious she's this singing along with a track.  When she performed Rebel Heart (the song) on tour it drove me nuts because I can hear her singing, but the backing track was nearly taking over.  When she would screamingly ad lib "Fuck yeah" over "Hell Yeah", it drove me bonkers. 

I get it; she is usually doing a million things while singing, but I prefer to hear her out of breath and out of tune vocals than her just singing to a backing track. 

Yeah it just doesn’t work. It makes sense when the song needs multi-harmonied backing vocals. Get Together on CT for example worked really well with very heavy backing vocals off the track, but Rebel Heart just sounded silly in concert because of the extreme double tracking. Same with Deeper and Deeper. If a performance is going to have a backing track equal in volume or even louder than the live vocal, why bother singing in the performance at all. Devil Pray in Manchester literally sounded like the CD being played, and I was sat by the sound desk so it was obviously the desired effect.

It’s such a shame because when the song is arranged correctly she has a terrific live voice (standing or sitting still).

4 minutes ago, scion said:

Yeah it just doesn’t work. It makes sense when the song needs multi-harmonied backing vocals. Get Together on CT for example worked really well with very heavy backing vocals off the track, but Rebel Heart just sounded silly in concert because of the extreme double tracking. Same with Deeper and Deeper. If a performance is going to have a backing track equal in volume or even louder than the live vocal, why bother singing in the performance at all. Devil Pray in Manchester literally sounded like the CD being played, and I was sat by the sound desk so it was obviously the desired effect.

It’s such a shame because when the song is arranged correctly she has a terrific live voice (standing or sitting still).

It gets worse when there is a backing track and there’s a robot effect in her live voice - Body Shop in RHT was a mess for example. 😩

10 minutes ago, scion said:

Say hello to La Vi En Rose.  It's times like this that I want her to bottle up that voice and sing everything the way she does like on that performance.  There are plenty of other examples too, but that song came straight to mind.

1 hour ago, tscott said:

Say hello to La Vi En Rose.  It's times like this that I want her to bottle up that voice and sing everything the way she does like on that performance.  There are plenty of other examples too, but that song came straight to mind.

Definitely.  Another recent example is Borderline on Fallon. 

1 hour ago, Ekans said:

It gets worse when there is a backing track and there’s a robot effect in her live voice - Body Shop in RHT was a mess for example. 😩

I remember in Glasgow hee singing the ‘for you’ and ‘it’s true’ and she was so far from the note. Many effects were present but pitch correction wasn’t apparently. These are things that a good MD like Price wouldn’t let happen, but Antunes obviously overlooked. 

1 minute ago, scion said:

Definitely.  Another recent example is Borderline on Fallon. 

I remember in Glasgow hee singing the ‘for you’ and ‘it’s true’ and she was so far from the note. Many effects were present but pitch correction wasn’t apparently. These are things that a good MD like Price wouldn’t let happen, but Antunes obviously overlooked. 

Which explains why I feel Confessions was her last best concert vocally.  While I know she had a lot of backing vocals helping her out, but he managed to balance it all out and you can actually hear her sing live.  Drowned World/Substitute for Love was sooooo good on that tour. 

55 minutes ago, tscott said:

Which explains why I feel Confessions was her last best concert vocally.  While I know she had a lot of backing vocals helping her out, but he managed to balance it all out and you can actually hear her sing live.  Drowned World/Substitute for Love was sooooo good on that tour. 

Hats off one of her best tour performances.