The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

11 hours ago, Justice said:

It is weird that people on one forum act like  Madonna could perform pretty much anything, because it is a celebration of her career and not a greatest hits tour, but in the tour announcement Amy literally dared Madonna to do a greatest hits tour.

I think the show will be pretty much vanilla in the sense that she will do the expected greatest hits. I doubt she will surprise us with some hits she has never performed. Even if she would do that, it probably could be just a snippet.

I also don't expect a lot of ballads for obvious reasons: her voice and wanting to focus on dance.

Madonna would obviously want to do something for herself and those songs could be Human Nature and some 2010s song. 

Eh, I think there will be curve balls thrown in and some unexpected reinventions mixed in with just updated album versions of the greatest hits. I doubt she's just going to be vanilla and give us basically The Immaculate Collection album versions.

I would expect 1-2 totally unexpected hits to please the die-hard fans as a surprise.

I do agree that we won't get many ballads because of her voice and that she'll do a couple of her own favorites (Human Nature, etc)

1 hour ago, dankpepe said:

Eh, I think there will be curve balls thrown in and some unexpected reinventions mixed in with just updated album versions of the greatest hits. I doubt she's just going to be vanilla and give us basically The Immaculate Collection album versions.

I would expect 1-2 totally unexpected hits to please the die-hard fans as a surprise.

I do agree that we won't get many ballads because of her voice and that she'll do a couple of her own favorites (Human Nature, etc)

I agree with all of that, these are exactly my expectations.

I admit I would love some more unexpeted choices, but it won't happen, I'm pretty sure too at the moment. Maybe it's just the wish to see realized some of my desires to be honest (I always dreamt about a kind of gospel/soul oriented set, for example, with stuff like Like a prayer, Living for love, Rescue me, Rain, Secret, all in the row).

But, yes, we could have a pair, maybe three, minor singles. I think this time we could finally get Nothing really matters, quite positive about Human Nature (wich would be a deserved acknowledgement imo) and maybe something from her recent works (I'd go with Rebel Heart, Living for Love or Crave). 

EDITED: One last think about her vocal ability to sing ballads. I'd be ok having vocal rearrangements to help her avoid the hadrest parts or listening to her not pushing as she always did, but if there is intention, inspiration, performances like these are equally impactful. Ballads are the space where to use live instruments, rearrange, play with backing vocals and theatrics around her. We deserve some of this.

Anyway we are at it and they cleverly did not let anything out this time, for a GH tour it's the best strategy :01:

Cherish SOUNDS simple, but is actually musically very fun. The way the words of one phrase start at the end of another, and the melody jumps almost randomly between 3 notes per phrase getting higher and higher each time.

My guess is she might not see that. Or maybe she associates the song with something she isn’t fond of that we aren’t aware of. 

55 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Cherish SOUNDS simple, but is actually musically very fun. The way the words of one phrase start at the end of another, and the melody jumps almost randomly between 3 notes per phrase getting higher and higher each time.

My guess is she might not see that. Or maybe she associates the song with something she isn’t fond of that we aren’t aware of. 

I think it reminds her of Sean whom I think she still loves. 

15 hours ago, Justice said:

It is weird that people on one forum act like  Madonna could perform pretty much anything, because it is a celebration of her career and not a greatest hits tour, but in the tour announcement Amy literally dared Madonna to do a greatest hits tour.

I think the show will be pretty much vanilla in the sense that she will do the expected greatest hits. I doubt she will surprise us with some hits she has never performed. Even if she would do that, it probably could be just a snippet.

I also don't expect a lot of ballads for obvious reasons: her voice and wanting to focus on dance.

Madonna would obviously want to do something for herself and those songs could be Human Nature and some 2010s song. 

It’s not weird. It’s based on our knowledge of how she is and always has been. Even when she was first listing songs on post it notes on Instagram half of them weren’t hits. Eg Bad Girl, Human Nature.

1 hour ago, drivebitch said:

She had already left him by then though. You might as well say Like A Prayer reminds her about him. 

Madonna filed for divorce in January 1989. She began recording songs for Like a Prayer earlier in September ‘88  . The album was released after her divorce in March, but she got the idea for that specific song during breaks for rehearsals for the play Speed The Plow, which was even earlier than September ’88. And she said this about Cherish, "I wrote it in a superhyper-positive state of mind that I knew was not going to last". That’s why I felt it reminded her of Sean, especially of the turbulent times just before the divorce. But she also made a cheerful video for it afterwards and performed it on the BAT, so perhaps she’s over it. Only she would know for sure. Mine was only a knowledgeable guess. 

2 hours ago, Mden said:

And she said this about Cherish, "I wrote it in a superhyper-positive state of mind that I knew was not going to last".

By the way, that quote is from an interview the great late Carrie Fisher did with her in 91! Their whole conversation is very amusing, they talk about religion, fucking Warren, doing drugs and other stuff.

image.thumb.png.7d586a2974ed2453aaff772fca50fa6e.png

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I would be amazed if she did cherish but I just don’t see it - she will only pick LAP and EY from LAP era …,

I agree, she won't do it. Unless there's some acoustic section where the songs get changed throughout the tour like Rebel Heart.

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s not weird. It’s based on our knowledge of how she is and always has been. Even when she was first listing songs on post it notes on Instagram half of them weren’t hits. Eg Bad Girl, Human Nature.

I am talking about the fact that she announced a greatest hits tour and people act like she didn't do that.

It is a completely different thing what Madonna would serve. 

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

What’s all this talk of “because of her voice.”

Since when has Madonna let her voice stop her from doing ballads? Madame X Tour had many of them.

There will be multiple ballads on this tour. Some of her biggest hits are ballads.

It seems the focus is on dance stuff, although I can't imagine her being able to do that most of the time. Considering Madame X tour, she has slowed down, so maybe there will be more ballads. Her voice has weakened, so I don't know if she would be able to do  lot of ballads.

Madame  X tour: Killers Who Are Partying, Extreme Occident and Frozen. I don't know if Sodade is a ballad. I wouldn't count the other covers.

Tears of a Clown was focused on ballads, but it wasn't a world tour. Even if her voice isn't a problem, it seems she isn't very interested in doing a lot ballads. So I would expect a few ballads considering her previous tours.