The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

6 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

Confessions is better than Blond Ambition. Yes Blond changed the game, the first, second and last segment are iconic. But the whole Dick Tracy/Material Girl/Into The Groove parts aged like milk. Girlie Show was waaaaay better and it’s very underrated. 

Ooh, you're going to catch a lot of heat for this one.  LOL!

Though, Confessions for me is definitely a step up regarding her vocals and production.  It's just like you mentioned Blond Ambition "changed the game" when it comes to putting on a concert.  After that tour, more and more artists were putting on more elaborate shows and being more theatrical.

I agree Girlie Show is underrated.  In fact, it's probably the best she's ever sounded.  It feels far more live than a lot of her recent concerts. 

11 minutes ago, scion said:

Meanwhile I try and forget MX and MDNA happened 🤣

I personally like MX unlike MDNA and HC which for me are two albums I like to pretend never existed. Makes life so much easier. 

Generally speaking: Confessions Tour is great for its theatrical value. It clearly has a beginning, middle and end. If you only go to a M show to see her dance, I suggest some other artists maybe instead might peak your fancy. For me M was always great in mixing pop with dance and theater. 

16 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Definitely.

I’d put Confessions, Blond Ambition, The Virgin Tour as top tier shows.

Girlie Show has some decent performances, but it’s the closest we ever got to a Vegas/Kylie type show and it’s way too kitsch for me.

For me it’s Who’s That Girl, Drowned World and then Confessions. 

2 minutes ago, scion said:

For me it’s Who’s That Girl, Drowned World and then Confessions. 

Drowned World was the first M concert I saw in person and it was enjoyable watching it live, but it’s just too dark for me and I can’t watch it any longer.

Who’s That Girl is a great stadium rock concert. Boundless energy and oh so fun to watch. :luv:

3 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Drowned World was the first M concert I saw in person and it was enjoyable watching it live, but it’s just too dark for me and I can’t watch it any longer.

Who’s That Girl is a great stadium rock concert. Boundless energy and oh so fun to watch. :luv:

I love Who’s That Girl. Drowned World I think I prefer more as an audio experience than visual… :)

24 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

For me M was always great in mixing pop with dance and theater. 

Most definitely.  Over the years, she's really evolved, even adding the guitar to her act.  I love how she finds ways to really pack the show, by giving us a variety of performances, doing many things.  Some artists just stand on stage with their mic and sing and it works for some, but to me that would get boring even for the artist.  So glad Madonna is able to integrate so much into her shows, and even more take time to spotlight her crew/dancers from time to time.  :party:

1 hour ago, cosmic_system said:

But the whole Dick Tracy/Material Girl/Into The Groove parts aged like milk. Girlie Show was waaaaay better and it’s very underrated. 

I don't get that argument, do you measure quality by timelessness? At least I'm sure crowds must have found the Dick section incredibly amusing back then, you can't say the same of TGS' Like a Virgin (which I don't think is underrated at all, by the way).

2 minutes ago, tscott said:

Most definitely.  Over the years, she's really evolved, even adding the guitar to her act.  I love how she finds ways to really pack the show, by giving us a variety of performances, doing many things.  Some artists just stand on stage with their mic and sing and it works for some, but to me that would get boring even for the artist.  So glad Madonna is able to integrate so much into her shows, and even more take time to spotlight her crew/dancers from time to time.  :party:

I dont like when she plays guitar. It looks lazy and boring in comparison to other songs. As seen on bloopers of „Give it 2 me“ on s&s she doesnt even play live. I guess its just a form of resting a bit inbetween the songs with choreo.  

6 minutes ago, dr_xanax said:

She definately plays live: cpg, rol, ilny etc

Oh yeah, she plays the guitar live, but it's just she's heavily backed up with Monte.  From what I hear, she's usually strumming basic chords.  Still, it's just cool to see the illusion of her doing so, as it adds another exciting element to the show.  It also can give her a break from dancing, rather just sitting or standing behind a mic. :)

2 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

Confessions is better than Blond Ambition. Yes Blond changed the game, the first, second and last segment are iconic. But the whole Dick Tracy/Material Girl/Into The Groove parts aged like milk. Girlie Show was waaaaay better and it’s very underrated. 

I don’t even think it’s about aging.

Material Girl/Into the Groove on BA was horrible even in 1990.

I mean Madonna was a Gladys/Bounty paper towel wife during Material Girl.

Total cringe.

24 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

I don’t even think it’s about aging.

Material Girl/Into the Groove on BA was horrible even in 1990.

I mean Madonna was a Gladys/Bounty paper towel wife during Material Girl.

Total cringe.

I agree with your Virgin Tour rating...I'd put that above Confessions. Love 80s Madonna. I'm sure she cringes tho when she watches herself dance to Like a Virgin a la Virgin Tour lol

Same with BAT Into the Groove...not the dancing but the "do do do do do do do do do do do do cmon. Do do do do do do do do do do do...get into the..."

2 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

Definitely.

I’d put Confessions, Blond Ambition, The Virgin Tour as top tier shows.

Girlie Show has some decent performances, but it’s the closest we ever got to a Vegas/Kylie type show and it’s way too kitsch for me.

Funny you said that about Girlie, Blond is way more camp than Girlie Show. A lot. Even Carlton said he preferred Girlie for that same reason. 

2 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

Never thought of it like that, I always saw it as dark and subversive, and all the glitzy parts are tongue-in-cheek and ironic. I'd say The Rebel Heart is her most Vegas show for sure.

2 hours ago, tscott said:

Oh yeah, she plays the guitar live, but it's just she's heavily backed up with Monte.  From what I hear, she's usually strumming basic chords.  Still, it's just cool to see the illusion of her doing so, as it adds another exciting element to the show.  It also can give her a break from dancing, rather just sitting or standing behind a mic. :)

It was cringe in 1990, it’s way more cringe in 2023. There’s a reason those performances are not on Truth Or Dare. She knew it from the beginning. 

Edit, sorry I was replying to @missberic