How Madonna Kept a Three-Way Kiss a Secret and Made VMA History

Brendanlovesu1

Love these details but one part isn't entirely accurate.  During rehearsals, they did indeed attempt to clear the space -- however, a handful of staff, myself included, made our way all the way up to the 2nd or 3rd balcony and watched through the small windows at the back of the balcony -- was such a treat to watch them run through it multiple times.  And then of course we had to keep our mouths shut to keep all the plans under wraps.

2 minutes ago, dubbreak said:

Love these details but one part isn't entirely accurate.  During rehearsals, they did indeed attempt to clear the space -- however, a handful of staff, myself included, made our way all the way up to the 2nd or 3rd balcony and watched through the small windows at the back of the balcony -- was such a treat to watch them run through it multiple times.  And then of course we had to keep our mouths shut to keep all the plans under wraps.

you worked for MTV? ooooh I'd love to hear more if you'd feel like sharing

Think it was her most overhyped performance, was just made out to be 'shocking' by dumb gossip title tattle journalists. I didn't get why it got any attention at all as all staged and done only to grab headlines after American Life didn't perform as well and Madonna got banned by some radio stations at the time. I suppose Madonna was right as it got loads of attention - she would need to do something like WAP to get the same sort of attention today lol

The best thing was that they used the Stuart Price remix for the performance

what a great read! i love this period cause it's around the time i became a big britney fan and my love for madonna really grew. it was also around that time i discovered fan sites and file sharing softwares, so that's when i started getting familiar with madonna's older work. up until then i only knew TIC, ROL and Music.

4 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

Think it was her most overhyped performance, was just made out to be 'shocking' by dumb gossip title tattle journalists. I didn't get why it got any attention at all as all staged and done only to grab headlines after American Life didn't perform as well and Madonna got banned by some radio stations at the time. I suppose Madonna was right as it got loads of attention - she would need to do something like WAP to get the same sort of attention today lol

The best thing was that they used the Stuart Price remix for the performance

Today I've come to think more fondly of that performance but I had similar takes as you at the time about it.  I would add Swept Away did real bad as well the year before.  So it kinda came off desperate/really going 180 degrees from the American Life albums and videos to trying to look real hip and cool with Britney & Christina the it girls at the time.  it wasn't even like they were humping on the camera or making out it was just a light kiss as well.  

Nonetheless I was glued to it.  And Madonna still looked real good.  Despite the age difference she and Britney looked like sisters.  

It’s kind of crazy to think the kisses were before social media and YouTube.  Hell our house still had dial up phone lines for the internet in 2003.  I used to think if that kiss was today social media would have crashed and the kiss itself would have 5000 billion views on YouTube.  I’m a Christina fan as well and I still have the December blender magazine of her on the cover where she was talking about it all months later.  It was just that big back then.  

But it’s a different world in 2023.   I have a feeling the next day it would be a non story today IMO.