Edit History

Michael_Py

Michael_Py

On 10/1/2023 at 6:05 PM, Anapausis said:

Personally I wouldn't see Waiting working as a single on its own, unless GP were very receptive to Erotica single/SEX/Body of Evidence. Which would be very unlikely to happen at such time. Naturally Warner was prepared for the overreactions hence the little changing here and there for Erotica singles original plans. They KNEW they had to count on a plan B and even a plan C.

I would go further to assume Warner was more than satisfied with such backlash after M pulling a Frank Sinatra and doing her own Reprise Records.

Totally agree, Warner was supportive of Madonna but just until certain point I think. Maverick was giving more money to Madonna and less to Warner. 

Now that I think of, i think Thief of hearts could also have been a great single choice like Words. 

Madonna was going for an artsy album with underground house sound, it  was her and Shep’s intention. It would have sold better without the Sex backlash? YES, BUT either way far distant from her previous studio albums (I’m Breathless, Like a Prayer, True Blue, Like a Virgin, Madonna).

Yeah, I consider I’m Breathless a studio album and Erotica sold less than that album. 

Michael_Py

Michael_Py

On 10/1/2023 at 6:05 PM, Anapausis said:

Personally I wouldn't see Waiting working as a single on its own, unless GP were very receptive to Erotica single/SEX/Body of Evidence. Which would be very unlikely to happen at such time. Naturally Warner was prepared for the overreactions hence the little changing here and there for Erotica singles original plans. They KNEW they had to count on a plan B and even a plan C.

I would go further to assume Warner was more than satisfied with such backlash after M pulling a Frank Sinatra and doing her own Reprise Records.

Totally agree, Warner was supportive of Madonna but just until certain point I think. Maverick was giving more money to Madonna and less to Warner. 

Now that I think of, i think Thief of hearts could also have been a great single choice like Words. 

Madonna was going for an artsy album with underground house sound, it  was her and Shep’s intention. It would have sold better without the Sex backlash? YES, BUT either way far distant from her previous studio albums.

Important Information

Terms of Use