Edit History

FraP

FraP

6 hours ago, McDonna said:

Maybe, but I think Frozen was replaced with Rain intentionally. It would be a bit of a bummer if she did replace Rain with Frozen, being Rain has only been performed on one tour while Frozen was on a handful of tours.

Sure, this show isn't random. Probably, if a few weeks before the start of the tour she thought of replacing Frozen with Rain, there must be some reasons. I think Madonna wanted a song with a more positive message. It would be nice if we talked more about the meaning of the concert's narrative.

I see this show as a musical about her life. It's a celebration of life and love. Even Don't Cry For Me Argentina, which may seem randomly placed (personally, I don't like this version), is a continuation of the previous two songs. In Mother and Father, she finds from her mother and her roots the strength to move forward and survive (I Will Survive). She thinks about escaping her life. In fact, La Isla Bonita is actually based on a fantasy. San Pedro is not a real island. That's just a fantasy. 
Don't Cry for Me Argentina talks to us and shows the aftermath of the preceding song, "The truth is I never left you, all through my wild days, my mad existence, I kept my promise, don't keep your distance."

Rain follows ROL, which follows BS. BS is an ode to surrendering to the unconscious, a peaceful relaxation in the depths of ourselves that we rarely explore. After this surrender, there is the psychedelic journey of ROL, which is about rebirth from a former self. And Rain is a catharsis of love.

I must say that I don't particularly like this version of Rain. The arrangement is flat, and it lacks the bridge that gives a harmonic sense to the whole song. I would have preferred Frozen, as it's one of my favorite songs. But would Frozen have fit into Madonna's narrative? Probably yes, but it would have been a more cryptic interpretation and a little less positive.
Madonna said few times that she comes up with somewhat cryptic lyrics, but she doesn't like to be too cryptic, and she tries to be as clear as possible for everyone. I think she did the same here.

Many see Frozen as a simple love song in a difficult relationship where the loved one has emotional struggles. But it's not exactly that; I've never seen it that way. It's a more mystical song, more about all of us.

The sense would have been more like an invitation to transcend the duality of things and to trust our minds too much, to surrender to love and to open our minds and hearts to enlightenment. But it's Madonna's persuasive work; it's more like "if I could melt your heart," almost a magical ritual where she would give us "the key that we already hold." But Rain delivers a more direct and clear message. That's why I think she chose it. A catharsis of love

Tonight, I'm going to see it for the second time. On the opening night, I already knew the entire setlist (including Oh Father, Sorry, and Frozen), and I was also disappointed by the narrative. Upon reflection and rewatching the videos, I have learned to understand and appreciate the show's narrative. Tonight, I'm feeling more prepared, and I'll try to form a more complete opinion of the show. I might even consider a third visit; I'm thinking about it.

FraP

FraP

6 hours ago, McDonna said:

Maybe, but I think Frozen was replaced with Rain intentionally. It would be a bit of a bummer if she did replace Rain with Frozen, being Rain has only been performed on one tour while Frozen was on a handful of tours.

Sure, this show isn't random. Probably, if a few weeks before the start of the tour she thought of replacing Frozen with Rain, there must be some reasons. I think Madonna wanted a song with a more positive message. It would be nice if we talked more about the meaning of the concert's narrative.

I see this show as a musical about her life. It's a celebration of life and love. Even Don't Cry For Me Argentina, which may seem randomly placed (personally, I don't like this version), is a continuation of the previous two songs. In Mother and Father, she finds from her mother and her roots the strength to move forward and survive (I Will Survive). She thinks about escaping her life. In fact, La Isla Bonita is actually based on a fantasy. San Pedro is not a real island. That's just a fantasy. 
Don't Cry for Me Argentina talks to us and shows the aftermath of the preceding song, "The truth is I never left you, all through my wild days, my mad existence, I kept my promise, don't keep your distance."

Rain follows ROL, which follows BS. BS is an ode to surrendering to the unconscious, a peaceful relaxation in the depths of ourselves that we rarely explore. After this surrender, there is the psychedelic journey of ROL, which is about rebirth from a former self. And Rain is a catharsis of love.

I must say that I don't particularly like this version of Rain. The arrangement is flat, and it lacks the bridge that gives a harmonic sense to the whole song. I would have preferred Frozen, as it's one of my favorite songs. But would Frozen have fit into Madonna's narrative? Probably yes, but it would have been a more cryptic interpretation and a little less positive.
Madonna said few times that she comes up with somewhat cryptic lyrics, but she doesn't like to be too cryptic, and she tries to be as clear as possible for everyone. I think she did the same here.

Many see Frozen as a simple love song in a difficult relationship where the loved one has emotional struggles. But it's not exactly that; I've never seen it that way. It's a more mystical song, more about all of us.

The sense would have been more like an invitation to transcend the duality of things and to trust our minds too much, to surrender to love and to open our minds and hearts to enlightenment. But it's Madonna's persuasive work; it's more like "if I could melt your heart," almost a magical ritual where she would give us "the key that we already hold." But Rain delivers a more direct and clear message. That's why I think she chose it. A catharsis of love

Important Information

Terms of Use