New Auction

Spanky1995

First of all, thanks to Dan K. for compiling all these clips for posterity in such a comprehensive way. Here's the list of what's inlcuded:

Again and Again
Kiss Me
Born to Be a Dancer
Get Up
Rain Is Falling Down
Letter from Daddy
Tears Run Away
Song for Danny
The Sky Is Blue
Shine a Light
Bird Free
Cold Wind
Make It Today
Suppertime in Harlem (2 Clips)
Tell the Truth
Curtis Come Back
Moving Along (3 Clips)
Simon Says (3 Clips)
Hot House Flower (Diverse Clips)
I Got Trouble (Roll Over It) (Diverse Clips)

Most of the clips are samples of songs that we have never heard before, specially during the first 5 minutes of the video, and after that only a couple of them are form the Shamrock tape or the solo Gilroy tape that already leaked in full. I'm utterly surprised by 'Letter from Daddy', in which I can definitely hear how Joni Mitchell was one of her favourites. 

Edited by desperateK
more info (see edit history)

Is Dan Gilroy here on forum???

If so, I would love to tell him the most obvious thing ever: MADONNA DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY YOU "THANKED" HER FOR HER SPEECH DURING ROCK'N'ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTION. Hence her homage during the tour she did in that same year. If you were actually respectful to her instead of doing what you did (and what you have done subsequently), she would have more to thank you nowadays than guitar lessons traded for blowjobs. I know you probably didn't like Madonna's performance of Burning Up for The Virgin Tour*** where she was "paying homage" to you - but, honestly, have you had a chance to prove something to your artistic career other than scoring a fucking nomination as Best New Artist on Grammys and losing it to the fucking vocalist of Shalamar that just got launched her solo career? Congratulations and good luck on this auction - hope you can pay your rent for the next months once more thanks to a blowjober.

And now I dare HIM to prove HE is a more zealot Madonna fan than me. I ain't talking about you, Proxy member; every single fucking person in this forum knows who I am talking about.

Yes bitches, "new server, new me" but once a bitch, forever a bitch, right @Blue Jean??? LET SHOW THEM OUR BUSHED PUSSIES, GYAL!!!

EDIT: ***When I said "Virgin Tour," I really meant to say "Virgin Tour" back in 1985. Celebration Tour was a whole different, more explicit homage.

She must have her own copies, maybe more polished ones. She must have tons of tapes since she spent almost 2 years in the Music Building writing and recording all day. 

For instance i remember reading Gambler was a rework of a song called Ambush she did with Leslie Ming from BT Express. There are also collabs with Nervus Rex and Kenny Compton's band Ike Yard...all while at the Music Building

26 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

She must have her own copies, maybe more polished ones. She must have tons of tapes since she spent almost 2 years in the Music Building writing and recording all day. 

For instance i remember reading Gambler was a rework of a song called Ambush she did with Leslie Ming from BT Express. There are also collabs with Nervus Rex and Kenny Compton's band Ike Yard...all while at the Music Building

we heard 2 demos when she posted two videos on instagram during the summer of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 while she was working on her biopic, and she still her journals from then as well

DG-1
Lot 113: EARLY MADONNA REHEARSAL REEL C.1979

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Concertape 1800 Recording Reel to Reel tape by Radio Shack 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes and doodles in black ink on verso of box and on BASF tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

This reel-to-reel includes:
"Moving Along" Written by Dan, sung by Madonna. Madonna lead vocal track 3.
"Trouble" Co-written by Madonna, Dan, and Ed. Madonna Performed Lead Vocals, Dan - Drums, Ed - Guitar.
"Cold Wind" Written by Ed. Rare Madonna harmony/duet. Track 3 performance is isolated.
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan. Madonna on drums.
"Madonna Speaking" Madonna says "Why don't you let me touch it when it starts?" Ed. "Come on, lets start right now"
"Make It Today" Madonna playing drums track 1
"Make It Today" Madonna on drums, Dan/Ed on guitar, Angie Smit on bass.
"Make It Today" Another version. Madonna on drums
"Curtis come Back" Madonna and ed working on harmonies. Madonna on drums.
"Curtis Come Back" another version. Madonna on drums and backing vocals
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed. This working version has Madonna on drums and backup vocals.
"Curtis Come Back" another version. Madonna on drums
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Written by Ed. Madonna on drums.
"Bird Free" Written by Dan. Madonna - drums and vocals.
"Glad You Were Born" Written by Ed. Madonna- drums and harmonies
"Kid Sabeaux" Madonna drums and harmonies
"Make It Today" another version. Madonna- drums and backing vocals

In 1978, with nothing more than grit and determination, 20 year-old Madonna Louise Ciccone left college in Michigan and headed for New York City. She survived by waitressing and modeling nude, while honing her talents as a dancer under the guidance of legendary Martha Graham.

But life took a turn for Madonna when she met the talented musician, Dan Gilroy. It wasn’t long before the young dancer moved in with Dan and his brother, Ed. Living in a unique setting - the brothers were renting a repurposed Queens, NY synagogue! - the Gilroys taught Madonna how to play drums and guitar. It was there that Madonna began writing and recording her own music.

By 1979, the threesome had formed a band - Breakfast Club - which attracted attention at clubs around New York including CBGB

Madonna’s life In Queens was interrupted when she went to Paris to dance on stage. Once back in NYC, her career erupted after signing with the agent extraordinaire, Seymour Stein. Today, four decades later, Madonna remains one of the most exciting personalities of all time as evidenced by her recent sold-out world tour culminating in a remarkable 1.6 million person live audience on the beach at Rio de Janeiro.

This lot, like others in this auction is coming directly from that Queens, New York setting where Madonna's fabulous career got its start.

Below are memories and comments from Dan Gilroy:

"Moving Along" Madonna liked this little song so much she wanted to sing it in performance. The club owned by former Yankee infielder Phil Linz (called "Mr Laff's" on 64th st and 1st Ave) was our first performance of the song her singing was heartfelt and touching... Since the song is only a minute long it made it a fine intro, after a very short pause, for the power chord upbeat sound of "Trouble".

"Trouble" When Madonna first moved into the synagogue in Corona, NY, she was a prolific writer of personal notes and messages as well as prose and poetry in a journal or notepad. We were discussing songwriting and she showed me in her journal some random phrases like "heartbreaker," "earth shaker," and "survival is an art." I suggested the first line "I've got this trouble in my body, when no love's in my heart" and the song developed quickly. Madonna added the chorus lines: "I've got trouble, You've got trouble" etc. Ed added the break. Madonna later added the opening "trouble..trouble...trouble...etc." which worked so well with the chords in the intro.

"Cold Wind" She had a fun time working on this song. I remember her and Ed, laughing and joking while working out the harmonies, which are extensive and occur on almost every line. Her enthusiasm is evident in the vocal tone. As much as she wanted to be a star attraction, this track illustrates how much she enjoyed being a team player. The song was re-recorded by Guy Guido for the docu-movie, "Madonna and the Breakfast Club"

"Make It Today" This track was a rehearsal, it should be noted. We were trying things out. Madonna likes to talk about her drum playing as self taught, and who would argue? If you learn to swim or ride a bike, it's you who do the learning. There is, of course, always more to learn, especially in a band setting, where coordinating is key. Here, she was trying various bass/snare combinations.

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had move to England. He had so many ides about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by "Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought "she's not going to like this" but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan. She also added some vocal effects.

DG-2
Lot 124: MADONNA RARE DUET C.1979 ON REEL TAPE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Realistic Recording Reel to Reel tape by Radio Shack 1800 ft. 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in black ink on verso of box and on tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

"Cold Wind" Written by Ed. Dan on drums. Rare Madonna sings duet with Ed.
"Trouble" Co-written by Madonna, Dan, and Ed. Madonna Performed Lead Vocals, Dan - Drums, Ed - Guitar.
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan. Madonna on drums and harmonies.
"Simon Says" Written by Madonna and Dan. Dan added percussion. Madonna sings to a reverse track amde by Dan.
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed. Madonna on drums and backing vocals.
"Moving Along" Madonna sings lead vocals
"Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna. Madonna Sings lead vocals
"Make It Today" Madonna on drums.
Blank Afterwards

In 1978, with nothing more than grit and determination, 20 year-old Madonna Louise Ciccone left college in Michigan and headed for New York City. She survived by waitressing and modeling nude, while honing her talents as a dancer under the guidance of legendary Martha Graham.

But life took a turn for Madonna when she met the talented musician, Dan Gilroy. It wasn't long before the young dancer moved in with Dan and his brother, Ed. Living in a unique setting - the brothers were renting a repurposed Queens, NY synagogue! - the Gilroys taught Madonna how to play drums and guitar. It was there that Madonna began writing and recording her own music.

By 1979, the threesome had formed a band - Breakfast Club - which attracted attention at clubs around New York including CBGB.

Madonna’s life In Queens was interrupted when she went to Paris to dance on stage. Once back in NYC, her career erupted after signing with the agent extraordinaire, Seymour Stein. Today, four decades later, Madonna remains one of the most exciting personalities of all time as evidenced by her recent sold-out world tour culminating in a remarkable 1.6 million person live audience on the beach at Rio de Janeiro.

This lot, like others in this auction is coming directly from that Queens, New York setting where Madonna's fabulous career got its start.

Remembering those early years, Dan Gilroy offered the following:

"Cold Wind" She had a fun time working on this song. I remember her and Ed, laughing and joking while working out the harmonies, which are extensive and occur on almost every line. Her enthusiasm is evident in the vocal tone. As much as she wanted to be a star attraction, this track illustrates how much she enjoyed being a team player. The song was re-recorded by Guy Guido for the docu-movie, "Madonna and the Breakfast Club"

"Trouble" When Madonna first moved into the synagogue in Corona, NY, she was a prolific writer of personal notes and messages as well as prose and poetry in a journal or notepad. We were discussing songwriting and she showed me in her journal some random phrases like "heartbreaker," "earth shaker," and "survival is an art." I suggested the first line "I've got this trouble in my body, when no love's in my heart" and the song developed quickly. Madonna added the chorus lines: "I've got trouble, You've got trouble" etc. Ed added the break. Madonna later added the opening "trouble..trouble...trouble...etc." which worked so well with the chords in the intro.

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had move to England. He had so many ides about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by "Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought "she's not going to like this" but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan. She also added some vocal effects.

"Simon Says" This may have been the first time she ever heard herself on headphones. She makes the comment: "It sounds good in here...your voice sounds better in here than in real life." This track wasn't initially made for Madonna to sing on. It was the result of experimenting with the four track recorder, making an instrumental track and running the tape backwards. I liked the result and played it for Madonna. She heard it and wanted to sing with this odd, compelling sounding track. Her song scolds someone who does what they are told without question. I hoped it wasn't about me. I didn't ask.

"Moving Along" Madonna liked this little song so much she wanted to sing it in performance. The club owned by former Yankee infielder Phil Linz (called "Mr Laff's" on 64th st and 1st Ave) was our first performance of the song her singing was heartfelt and touching... Since the song is only a minute long it made it a fine intro, after a very short pause, for the power chord upbeat sound of "Trouble".

"Hot House Flower" One of the first songs that she wrote by herself and also got out from behind the drums and took center stage. This song highlights the isolation she felt, "If you leave me alone i will die." In this work in progress version Madonna performs acapella.

"Make It Today" This track was a rehearsal, it should be noted. We were trying things out. Madonna likes to talk about her drum playing as self taught, and who would argue? If you learn to swim or ride a bike, it's you who do the learning. There is, of course, always more to learn, especially in a band setting, where coordinating is key. Here, she was trying various bass/snare combinations.

DG-3
Lot 117: EARLY 1979 MADONNA AND BREAKFAST CLUB REEL

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Concertape 1800 Recording Reel to Reel tape by Radio Shack 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes and doodles in black ink on verso of box and on BASF tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

"Cold Wind" Written by Ed. Rare Madonna harmony/duet. Track 3 performance is isolated.
"Madonna Speaking" Madonna says "Why don't you let me touch it when it starts?" Ed. "Come on, lets start right now"
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed. This working version has Madonna on drums and backup vocals.

But life took a turn for Madonna when she met the talented musician, Dan Gilroy. It wasn’t long before the young dancer moved in with Dan and his brother, Ed. Living in a unique setting - the brothers were renting a repurposed Queens, NY synagogue! - the Gilroys taught Madonna how to play drums and guitar. It was there that Madonna began writing and recording her own music.

By 1979, the threesome had formed a band - Breakfast Club - which attracted attention at clubs around New York including CBGB

DG-4
Lot 115: MADONNA'S "COMING IN FINE" PERFORMANCE ON REEL

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Ampex Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in black ink on verso of box as well as black ink handwritten "Coming in Fine" on tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c.1979

Work tape to 120...
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed. Madonna sings harmonies.
"Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna. Madonna sings lead vocals on track 1 only. Dan plays drums, Ed on guitar. Tracks 2,3, and 4 are work tracks.
"Hot House Flower" Another version across all 4 tracks.
Dan works on a song
"Make It Today" Written by Dan. Madonna drums on track 3. Track 4 is a work track.
"Trouble" Early version. Madonna sings lead vocals. Tracks 1 and 2 only
"Trouble" Another performance, Madonna sings lead vocals. On track 3 Madonna solos and doubles her vocals from track 1
Afterwards is Dan's work tape

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Hot House Flower" One of the first of Madonna songs she wrote by herself and also got out from behind the drums and took center stage. This song highlights the isolation she felt, "if you leave me alone I will die" and shows the other side of what became "the material girl" with the line, "I live my life in this world, but I'm not part of this world." She expresses a need for attention, shyness with self reflection, being "at home in my mind."

"Make It Today" We were trying things out. Madonna likes to talk about her drum playing as "self taught", which who can argue? If you learn to swim or ride a bike, it's you who does the learning. There is, of course, alwasy more to learn, especially in a band setting, where coordinating is key. Here, she was trying various bass/snare combinations. Madonna was always up for a challenge.

"Trouble" When Madonna first moved into the synagogue in Corona, NY, she was a prolific writer of personal notes and messages as well as prose and poetry in a journal or notepad. We were discussing songwriting and she showed me in her journal some random phrases like "heart breaker," "earth shaker," and "survival is an art." I suggested the first line "I've got this trouble in my body, when no love's in my heart" and the song developed quickly. Madonna added the chorus lines: "I've got trouble, You've got trouble" etc. Ed added the break. Madonna later added the opening "trouble..trouble...trouble...etc." which worked so well with the chords in the intro.

DG-5
Lot 120: MADONNA'S EARLY DEMO WORK ON REELS

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Concertape 1800 Recording Reel to Reel tape by Radio Shack 18cm / 7". Hand-drawn D in black marker on front of box, Handwritten notes in black marker ink on verso of box and on Radio Shack tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c.1979

Work tape - non Madonna until..
043 "Trouble" Madonna sings lead vocals on tracks 1 and 2 only. Dan drums, Ed guitar.
Dan Work Tape after... for "Simon Says" at 400, turn the reel over, then rewind a minute and hear Madonna singing forward to the reversed track. She's thrilled by the sound of her voice through the headphones in real time. She says, "It sounds good in here... Your voice sounds better in here than in real life."

But life took a turn for Madonna when she met the talented musician, Dan Gilroy. It wasn't long before the young dancer moved in with Dan and his brother, Ed. Living in a unique setting - the brothers were renting a repurposed Queens, NY synagogue! - the Gilroys taught Madonna how to play drums and guitar. It was there that Madonna began writing and recording her own music.

By 1979, the threesome had formed a band - Breakfast Club - which attracted attention at clubs around New York including CBGB.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Trouble" When Madonna first moved into the synagogue in Corona, NY, she was a prolific writer of personal notes and messages as well as prose and poetry in a journal or notepad. We were discussing songwriting and she showed me in her journal some random phrases like "heart breaker," "earth shaker," and "survival is an art." I suggested the first line "I've got this trouble in my body, when no love's in my heart" and the song developed quickly. Madonna added the chorus lines: "I've got trouble, You've got trouble" etc. Ed added the break. Madonna later added the opening "trouble..trouble...trouble...etc." which worked so well with the chords in the intro.

DG-6
Lot 121: EARLY MADONNA PLAYS THE DRUMS ON REEL TAPE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Maxell XLI Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in black ink on verso of box and on Radio Shack tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c.1979

"Curtis Come Back" Instrumental version, Written by Ed, Madonna on drums, Ed/Dan on guitar.
"Suppertime" Written by Dan. Madonna working on drums. Dan works on the bass part. The "Curtis Come Back" cacophany of sounds put down at fast speed, then Madonna short piece on "Suppertime" with Madonna on drums.
"Curtis Come Back" Another version. Madonna on drums.
"Make It Today" Written and sung by Dan. Madonna on drums track 1 only.
"Coming In Fine" Written by Dan. Madonna on drums and Harmonies Track 1 only.
"Curtis Come Back" Madonna practices drums track 1.
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Written by Ed. Madonna on drums track 1.
Madonna banters, "Leader of the pack", Dan says, "Now, don't cover me up, everybody," Madonna replies, "alright," then... "Kid Sabeaux" and "Suppertime" with Madonna on drums.
"Suppertime" Another version. Written by Dan. Madonna on drums track 1.
"Curtis Come Back" Madonna on drums

Remembering those early years, Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by "Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought "she's not going to like this" but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan. She also added some vocal effects.

"Make It Today" We were trying things out. Madonna likes to talk about her drum playing as "self taught," which who can argue? If you learn to swim or ride a bike, it's you who does the learning. There is, of course, always more to learn, especially in a band setting, where coordinating is key. Here, she was trying various bass/snare combinations. Madonna was always up for a challenge.

"Kid Sabeaux" Sabeaux was our cat Grayboy's former name. In one of her notes to Dan, Madonna writes that she took a walk up the block with Grayboy.

DG-7
Lot 122: EARLY MADONNA ON VINTAGE SHAMROCK REEL-TO-REEL

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Shamrock Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in blue and red ink on verso of box and on paper taped to the tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

"Curtis come Back" Written by Dan, Madonna plays Farfisa keyboard on track 3. Madonna on percussion and vocal harmonies on track 3.
"Glad You Were Born" Written by Ed, Madonna plays drums.
"Trouble" Written by Madonna, Dan, and Ed. Madonna out front on vocals isolated on track 3. Dan drums, Ed guitar.
"Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna, Dan drums, Ed plays guitar. Madonna sings lead vocals.
Then Dan percussion work
"Give It A Try" Another version. Written by Madonna, Dan on guitar with Madonna isolated vocals on track 3.
"Give It A Try" Another version. Written by Madonna. Madonna sings lead vocals. Full band with Ed on guitar, and Dan on drums.
"Born to Be A Dancer" Written by Madonna, performed solo accompanying herself on guitar track 1 only.
"Even My Tears Run Away From Me" Written by Madonna, performed acapella on track 2 only.
Then Dan work tape to...
"Born To Be A Dancer" Full band, Madonna plays Farfisa keyboard on Track 3.
"Again and Again" Written by Madonna. Isolated vocals on track 2. Accompanied by guitar on track 1.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by "Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought "she's not going to like this" but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, she also added some vocal effects

"Hot House Flower" One of the first of Madonna songs she wrote by herself and also got out from behind the drums and took center stage. This song highlights the isolation she felt, "if you leave me alone I will die" and shows the other side of what became "the material girl" with the line, "I live my life in this world, but I'm not part of this world." She expresses a need for attention, shyness with self reflection, being "at home in my mind."

"Even My Tears Run Away From Me" Shows her feelings of not being appreciated, not connecting. It's her expression of loneliness and frustration early on, with the beautiful line: "even my tears run away from me." The line about "I keep on waking up crying in the middle of the night" was especially striking. It points to the constant autobiography nature of her early songs. There was a memorable night when for no obvious reasons she started to cry, long and loudly, a wailing haunting sound. I didn't say a word. It was an obvious catharsis. Her tears were a mix of career frustration (am I a dancer? am I a musician?) homesickness, and wondering if anything good would happen in her world.

"Born To Be A Dancer" This song nicely illustrates Madonna's growth as a song writter, guitar player, and a pivotal moment in her ambition. This track features just her vocal and guitar, as the longtime dream of professional dance gives way to the musician/songwriter promise. Using the first three chords she learned (A,G,F) in a repetitive way, she changes the rhythm as the song progresses. This song features just her first use of the word/concept "crazy" a recurring theme in many of her future lyrics.

DG-8
Lot 118: RARE CONVERSATION WITH MADONNA ON MAXELL REEL TAPE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Maxell 35-90B Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes and drawings in black on verso of box and on the tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

Dan work tape until...
440 to 630 "Conversation" Dan and Madonna.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"The Conversation" Fourteen minute conversation between Dan and Madonna... Talking about Jesus, Joan of Arc, Walter Cronkite, wanting a mother ("I look for a mother every time, and she never shows up"), dissecting a rat in a comparative anatomy class and more... on tracks 1 and 3

DG-9
Lot 119: EARLY MADONNA RARE SOLOS ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Sony C90 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black and blue ink on both sides of cassette. Side A "Song for Danny/ Coming in fine/ Bass for Carnival" c.1979

This cassette includes:
(An "*" indicates solo Madonna vocals)
Side A:
"Kiss Me" Madonna sings and Dan plays guitar.
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed, Madonna on background vocal.
* "Moving Along" Written by Madonna and Dan. Madonna sings lead vocal
* "Moving Along" Another version. Madonna mess up and curses.
* "Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna, sung by Madonna. Followed by a performance of the same song with harmony practice.
* "While My Baby Walks The Streets" Madonna sings solo, and experiments with melodies.
"Tears In My Eye" Another version. Working track on lyrics, vocals, and bass lines. Then work on "I'm In Love With You" Madonna plays guitar and sings.
Side B:
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed, Madonna on drums, Madonna harmonizes with Dan.
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Rehearsal demo, Madonna on drums.
* "Letter From Daddy" Written and recorded by Madonna. Madonna plays guitar
* "Hurry Hurry Hurry" Written and performed by Madonna
* "Song For Danny" Written and performed by Madonna for Dan.
* "Letter From Daddy" Madonna solo guitar performance.

This lot, like others in this auction, is coming directly from that Queens, New York setting where Madonna's fabulous career got its start.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Song For Danny" This song is about me, Daniel. The lyric is a bit of daily biography. Madonna and I used to run in Flushing Meadow Corona Park (right down the block), around the lake. We would sometimes go up on the roof. It was breezy up there with a good view of Manhattan. She comments about a habit I had of leaving change scattered around my room. Her amusing lyric tells about me being in the alley, which is right outside the door and the phone rings where we kept it on the floor, and me not answering because I know it's for her, which was usually the case. She spent lots of time on the phone, networking, looking for opportunities and gigs.

"Hurry Hurry Hurry" one of Madonna's earliest songs. Here, it's a solo performance on the Carlo robelli acoustic guitar. She's searching out the chords and doing vocal work. Nice, early Madonna Vocal

"Kiss Me" Live music was always happening in the synagogue. Dan and Madonna played music with each other day and night. "Kiss Me" just happened one day as Dan played guitar and Madonna sang. There's easy back and fourth between the vocal and the guitar. As usual, Dan hit the record button on TEAC 4 track reel to reel recorder.

"Moving Along" Madonna liked this little song, "Moving Along," so much that she wanted to sing it in performance. The club owned by former Yankee infielder Phil Linz (called “Mr Laff’s” on 64thSt and 1st Ave) was our first performance of the song. Her singing was heartfelt and touching…Since the song is only a minute long it made a fine intro, after a very short pause, for the power chord upbeat sound of “Trouble."

DG-10
Lot 123: NEVER BEFORE HEARD 1979 MADONNA DEMO ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Sony C90 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black ink on side A of cassette. Side A "The Sky Is Blue" c.1979

This cassette includes:
"The Sky Is Blue" Written and performed by Madonna. Guitar played on the Carlo robelli acoustic guitar.

This lot, like others in this auction, is coming directly from that Queens, New York setting where Madonna's fabulous career got its start.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

This cassette has a very early Madonna song that she wrote and sings alone, playing the Carlo Rbelli acoustic guitar. It's possible that no one else has ever heard this song. Her handwriting is on the cassette. This cassette has 2 performances of Madonna singing "The Sky Is Blue."

DG-11

Lot 125: FIRST RECORD OF MADONNA SINGING ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Memex 60 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black ink on side A of cassette. Side 1 "Tell The Truth" "Conway" c.1979. This Cassette holds Madonna's first ever recorded performance of the first song she ever wrote called "Tell The Truth".

This cassette includes:

Starts with Dan on drums, Ed Guitar, Madonna vocals jamming
"Bird Free" Madonna on drums, Dan and Madonna vocals
*"Trouble" Madonna acapella
*"Shine a Light" Madonna on the Carlo Robelli guitar and solo vocals
**"Tell The Truth"
*"Shine a Light" Another performance

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Bird Free" Playing music in the Synagogue was exactly that: Play. It was extra special to be able to pick up a guitar or a microphone or drumsticks at any time and have fun playing. Madonna put in a lot of work during the year and a half she lived with Dan and Ed in the Synagogue, but the common theme throughout was playing and having fun. This clip has Madonna working and playing the drums on a song written by Dan.

"Trouble" Madonna was a prolific writer of personal notes and messages as well as prose and poetry in a journal or notepad. I showed her a letter she had written (in Paris) which contained phrases which looked like song lyrics (trouble maker, body shaker, love taker, heartbreaker). As a suggestion, I offered a possible first line, “I’ve got this trouble in my body, when no love’s in my heart." She approved and the song developed quickly. The words “survival is an art” from the same letter fit nicely. Madonna added the chorus lines: “I’ve got trouble, You’ve got trouble” etc. Ed added the break which changed the pace of the song and set up the last verse power chords. Madonna later added the opening repetitive “trouble…trouble…trouble…etc.” which worked so well with the intro chords.

"Shine A Light" Our cat Grayboy is heard meowing at one point. Madonna once wrote a note to Dan describing her day and writing that she took a walk up the block with Grayboy. This performance is Madonna on the Carlo Robelli Guitar. Madonna wrote this and sings it solo.

"Tell The Truth" In her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech, Madonna said she wrote her first song, "Tell The Truth," in the Synagogue in Queens. This is the first recording of the first song Madonna ever wrote. In it, Madonna accompanies herself on Carlo Robelli acoustic guitar and sings solo. She performs it in front of Breakfest Club bassist Angie Smit. Curiously, at the end of Madonna's performance, which is a beautiful rendition, Angie says, "You know what your problem is?" Then the recorder turned off. Madonna's handwriting is on the cassette: Tell the Truth

DG-12
Lot 114: EARLY MADONNA DRUMMING ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances.MAxell C60 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black marker ink on side A of cassette. Side A "Curtis" c.1979

This cassette includes:
(Lots of Madonna on drums)
Side A:
Starts with a couple of minutes of Dan working. Then...
"Suppertime" Written by Dan, Madonna plays the drums.
"Curtis Come Back" Written and sung by Dan. Madonna plays drums and sings backing vocals. Ed and Dan both play the guitar. "Curtis Come Back" Another version.
"Trouble" Written by Dan, Madonna, and Ed. Dan on drums, Ed on guitar, Madonna sings vocals.
"Coming In Fine" Another version. Written by Ed, Madonna on drums and sings backing vocals, Dan and Ed play guitar. "Hot House Flower" Written and performed by Madonna, Angie Smit plays bass, Ed plays guitar, Dan plays drums. "Argument" Dan and Ed
"Curtis Come Back"

Side B:
"Make It Today" Written and performed by Dan, Madonna plays drums, Dan and Ed plays guitar.
"Coming In fine" Written by Ed. Dan plays guitar, Madonna plays drums.
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan, Dan and Ed plays guitar, Angie plays bass, Madonna plays drum.
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Written by Ed, Angie on bass, Ed and Dan plays guitar, Madonna plays drums. "Moving Along" Madonna sings lead, Ed plays guitar, Angie plays bass.
"Trouble" Written by Dan, Madonna, and Ed. Dan on drums, Ed on guitar, Madonna sings vocals.
"Eggy Anne" Instrumental version. Madonna plays drums.
"Jam Session" Madonna plays drums, and sings lead vocals from "Curtis Come Back" then more "Eggy Anne" then Madonna asks, "Wait a minute, what's the order?" Ed asks, "What's the order?"

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Suppertime" Madonna on drums, then Madonna practicing drums to the song. After about 3 takes, Dan asks for another run through. Madonna says, "Alright, but then I'm not doing it again." Her drumming is aggressive and steady.

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by “Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought “she’s not going to like this” but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan.

"Trouble" Madonna was a prolific writer of personal notes and messages as well as prose and poetry in a journal or notepad. I showed her a letter she had written (in Paris) which contained phrases which looked like song lyrics (trouble maker, body shaker, love taker, heartbreaker). As a suggestion, I offered a possible first line, “I’ve got this trouble in my body, when no love’s in my heart." She approved and the song developed quickly. The words “survival is an art” from the same letter fit nicely. Madonna added the chorus lines: “I’ve got trouble, You’ve got trouble” etc. Ed added the break which changed the pace of the song and set up the last verse power chords. Madonna later added the opening repetitive “trouble…trouble…trouble…etc.” which worked so well with the intro chords.

DG-13
Lot 116: 1979 MADONNA & BREAKFAST CLUB JAM SESSION ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Sony Black C90 compact cassette. Handwritten notes and drawings in blue ink both sides of cassette. Side A "Curtis Come Home, 15, Dan, Angie, Madonna" note torn diagonally Side B "Drawings". c.1979

This cassette includes:
Side A:
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan, Madonna on drums and backing vocals.
"Jam Session"
"Curtis Come Back"
"Jamming" Madonna asks, "Do you want me to sing" Dan says, "Yeah!"
"Unknown Song" Madonna sings and plays guitar. Dan plays drums.
"Again and Again" Written by Madonna, Madonna plays keyboard. Cuts out at times.
"Trouble" Written by Dan, Madonna, and Ed. Dan on drums, Ed on guitar, Madonna sings vocals. Cuts off after 2 minutes.

Side B:
"Hot House Flower" Full version. Written and performed by Madonna.
"Trouble" Prolonged ending. Written by Dan, Madonna, and Ed. Dan on drums, Ed on guitar, Madonna sings vocals. broken into by another recording, then picks up again with Ed lead guitar. Madonna says, "Get it over with, Ed" "Dan's Song"
"Say hey, Joe" Madonna harmonizes beautifully with Dan

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by “Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought “she’s not going to like this” but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan. She also added some vocal effects.
On the cassette, after this song, Madonna says, "Dan?". "Oooh no!", he says. Madonna says, "It came out again..." referring to the Hi Hat foot pedal that was jerry rigged to keep together with a wire similar to a coat hanger. It remains there on the Hi Hat pedal today.

"Jam" Playing music in the Synagogue was exactly that: Play. It was extra special to be able to pick up a guitar or a microphone or drumsticks at any time and have fun playing. Madonna put a lot of work during this year and a half she lived with Dan and Ed in the Synagouge, but the common theme throughout was playing and having fun. This instrumental jam has Madonna playing drums with Dan and Ed on guitars.

"Hot House Flower" One of the first of Madonna's songs that she wrote by herself and also got out from behind the drums and took center stage. This song highlights the isolation she felt, “if you leave me alone I will die” and shows the other side of what became “the material girl" with the line, “I live my life in this world, but I’m not part of this world." She expresses a need for attention, shyness with self reflection, being “at home in my mind”

H1684-L382070029_original.jpg

I sent Guerney's two emails regarding the exact content of two lots and here isvtheir replay @Spanky1995

LOT 116 - 1979 MADONNA & BREAKFAST CLUB JAM SESSION ON CASS Hello, the song "Letter from daddy" is in the dropbox folder but not mentioned at all in the description, while it is credited in lot 119. Is it featured in both tapes? 

Actually your right . Lot 116 does not feature this song. I just moved the song to the lot 119 Dropbox link. Thank you for uncovering this error.

Lot 122 - EARLY MADONNA ON VINTAGE SHAMROCK REEL-TO-REEL Hello, I would like to have a confimation that the song "Rain is falling down", which is available in the dropbox folder but is not mentioned in the picture nor credited in the description, is actually in this reel.

Good afternoon. I wanted to reach out to you to confirm that "Rain is falling down" is actually on the reel.

12 hours ago, Enrico said:

I sent Guerney's two emails regarding the exact content of two lots and here isvtheir replay @Spanky1995

LOT 116 - 1979 MADONNA & BREAKFAST CLUB JAM SESSION ON CASS Hello, the song "Letter from daddy" is in the dropbox folder but not mentioned at all in the description, while it is credited in lot 119. Is it featured in both tapes? 

Actually your right . Lot 116 does not feature this song. I just moved the song to the lot 119 Dropbox link. Thank you for uncovering this error.

Lot 122 - EARLY MADONNA ON VINTAGE SHAMROCK REEL-TO-REEL Hello, I would like to have a confimation that the song "Rain is falling down", which is available in the dropbox folder but is not mentioned in the picture nor credited in the description, is actually in this reel.

Good afternoon. I wanted to reach out to you to confirm that "Rain is falling down" is actually on the reel.

Thank you been to busy to even attempt to sort any of this out 

Update from Matthew Rettenmund via Instagram.

Dan Gilroy reports that Madonna wanted her personal letters from the auction, so she signed the 2 guitars and the drum set in exchange for them. While fans will not be able to bid on Madonna's letters, just look at these gorgeous 2024 autographs on these 45-year old pieces of rock history. Incredible. Everybody wins.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DABnG7qNLCe/

23 hours ago, Queen hearts said:

DG-1
Lot 113: EARLY MADONNA REHEARSAL REEL C.1979

Description

DG-2
Lot 124: MADONNA RARE DUET C.1979 ON REEL TAPE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Realistic Recording Reel to Reel tape by Radio Shack 1800 ft. 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in black ink on verso of box and on tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

"Cold Wind" Written by Ed. Dan on drums. Rare Madonna sings duet with Ed.
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan. Madonna on drums and harmonies.
"Simon Says" Written by Madonna and Dan. Dan added percussion. Madonna sings to a reverse track amde by Dan.
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed. Madonna on drums and backing vocals.
"Moving Along" Madonna sings lead vocals
"Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna. Madonna Sings lead vocals
"Make It Today" Madonna on drums.
Blank Afterwards

Remembering those early years, Dan Gilroy offered the following:

"Simon Says" This may have been the first time she ever heard herself on headphones. She makes the comment: "It sounds good in here...your voice sounds better in here than in real life." This track wasn't initially made for Madonna to sing on. It was the result of experimenting with the four track recorder, making an instrumental track and running the tape backwards. I liked the result and played it for Madonna. She heard it and wanted to sing with this odd, compelling sounding track. Her song scolds someone who does what they are told without question. I hoped it wasn't about me. I didn't ask.

"Hot House Flower" One of the first songs that she wrote by herself and also got out from behind the drums and took center stage. This song highlights the isolation she felt, "If you leave me alone i will die." In this work in progress version Madonna performs acapella.

DG-3
Lot 117: EARLY 1979 MADONNA AND BREAKFAST CLUB REEL

Description

DG-4
Lot 115: MADONNA'S "COMING IN FINE" PERFORMANCE ON REEL

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Ampex Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in black ink on verso of box as well as black ink handwritten "Coming in Fine" on tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c.1979

Work tape to 120...
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed. Madonna sings harmonies.
"Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna. Madonna sings lead vocals on track 1 only. Dan plays drums, Ed on guitar. Tracks 2,3, and 4 are work tracks.
"Hot House Flower" Another version across all 4 tracks.
Dan works on a song
"Make It Today" Written by Dan. Madonna drums on track 3. Track 4 is a work track.
"Trouble" Early version. Madonna sings lead vocals. Tracks 1 and 2 only
"Trouble" Another performance, Madonna sings lead vocals. On track 3 Madonna solos and doubles her vocals from track 1
Afterwards is Dan's work tape

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Make It Today" We were trying things out. Madonna likes to talk about her drum playing as "self taught", which who can argue? If you learn to swim or ride a bike, it's you who does the learning. There is, of course, alwasy more to learn, especially in a band setting, where coordinating is key. Here, she was trying various bass/snare combinations. Madonna was always up for a challenge.

DG-5
Lot 120: MADONNA'S EARLY DEMO WORK ON REELS

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Concertape 1800 Recording Reel to Reel tape by Radio Shack 18cm / 7". Hand-drawn D in black marker on front of box, Handwritten notes in black marker ink on verso of box and on Radio Shack tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c.1979

Work tape - non Madonna until..
043 "Trouble" Madonna sings lead vocals on tracks 1 and 2 only. Dan drums, Ed guitar.
Dan Work Tape after... for "Simon Says" at 400, turn the reel over, then rewind a minute and hear Madonna singing forward to the reversed track. She's thrilled by the sound of her voice through the headphones in real time. She says, "It sounds good in here... Your voice sounds better in here than in real life."

Dan Gilroy remembers...

DG-6
Lot 121: EARLY MADONNA PLAYS THE DRUMS ON REEL TAPE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Maxell XLI Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in black ink on verso of box and on Radio Shack tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c.1979

"Curtis Come Back" Instrumental version, Written by Ed, Madonna on drums, Ed/Dan on guitar.
"Suppertime" Written by Dan. Madonna working on drums. Dan works on the bass part. The "Curtis Come Back" cacophany of sounds put down at fast speed, then Madonna short piece on "Suppertime" with Madonna on drums.
"Curtis Come Back" Another version. Madonna on drums.
"Make It Today" Written and sung by Dan. Madonna on drums track 1 only.
"Coming In Fine" Written by Dan. Madonna on drums and Harmonies Track 1 only.
"Curtis Come Back" Madonna practices drums track 1.
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Written by Ed. Madonna on drums track 1.
Madonna banters, "Leader of the pack", Dan says, "Now, don't cover me up, everybody," Madonna replies, "alright," then... "Kid Sabeaux" and "Suppertime" with Madonna on drums.
"Suppertime" Another version. Written by Dan. Madonna on drums track 1.
"Curtis Come Back" Madonna on drums

Remembering those early years, Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by "Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought "she's not going to like this" but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan. She also added some vocal effects.

"Make It Today" We were trying things out. Madonna likes to talk about her drum playing as "self taught," which who can argue? If you learn to swim or ride a bike, it's you who does the learning. There is, of course, always more to learn, especially in a band setting, where coordinating is key. Here, she was trying various bass/snare combinations. Madonna was always up for a challenge.

"Kid Sabeaux" Sabeaux was our cat Grayboy's former name. In one of her notes to Dan, Madonna writes that she took a walk up the block with Grayboy.

DG-7
Lot 122: EARLY MADONNA ON VINTAGE SHAMROCK REEL-TO-REEL

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Shamrock Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes in blue and red ink on verso of box and on paper taped to the tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

"Curtis come Back" Written by Dan, Madonna plays Farfisa keyboard on track 3. Madonna on percussion and vocal harmonies on track 3.
"Glad You Were Born" Written by Ed, Madonna plays drums.
"Trouble" Written by Madonna, Dan, and Ed. Madonna out front on vocals isolated on track 3. Dan drums, Ed guitar.
"Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna, Dan drums, Ed plays guitar. Madonna sings lead vocals.
Then Dan percussion work
"Give It A Try" Another version. Written by Madonna, Dan on guitar with Madonna isolated vocals on track 3.
"Give It A Try" Another version. Written by Madonna. Madonna sings lead vocals. Full band with Ed on guitar, and Dan on drums.
"Born to Be A Dancer" Written by Madonna, performed solo accompanying herself on guitar track 1 only.
"Even My Tears Run Away From Me" Written by Madonna, performed acapella on track 2 only.
Then Dan work tape to...
"Born To Be A Dancer" Full band, Madonna plays Farfisa keyboard on Track 3.
"Again and Again" Written by Madonna. Isolated vocals on track 2. Accompanied by guitar on track 1.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by "Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought "she's not going to like this" but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, she also added some vocal effects

"Even My Tears Run Away From Me" Shows her feelings of not being appreciated, not connecting. It's her expression of loneliness and frustration early on, with the beautiful line: "even my tears run away from me." The line about "I keep on waking up crying in the middle of the night" was especially striking. It points to the constant autobiography nature of her early songs. There was a memorable night when for no obvious reasons she started to cry, long and loudly, a wailing haunting sound. I didn't say a word. It was an obvious catharsis. Her tears were a mix of career frustration (am I a dancer? am I a musician?) homesickness, and wondering if anything good would happen in her world.

"Born To Be A Dancer" This song nicely illustrates Madonna's growth as a song writter, guitar player, and a pivotal moment in her ambition. This track features just her vocal and guitar, as the longtime dream of professional dance gives way to the musician/songwriter promise. Using the first three chords she learned (A,G,F) in a repetitive way, she changes the rhythm as the song progresses. This song features just her first use of the word/concept "crazy" a recurring theme in many of her future lyrics.

DG-8
Lot 118: RARE CONVERSATION WITH MADONNA ON MAXELL REEL TAPE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Vintage Maxell 35-90B Recording Reel to Reel tape 18cm / 7". Handwritten notes and drawings in black on verso of box and on the tape casing. Recorded on the TEAC a-3440 4 track reel-to-reel recorder, also offered in this auction. c. 1979

Dan work tape until...
440 to 630 "Conversation" Dan and Madonna.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"The Conversation" Fourteen minute conversation between Dan and Madonna... Talking about Jesus, Joan of Arc, Walter Cronkite, wanting a mother ("I look for a mother every time, and she never shows up"), dissecting a rat in a comparative anatomy class and more... on tracks 1 and 3

DG-9
Lot 119: EARLY MADONNA RARE SOLOS ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Sony C90 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black and blue ink on both sides of cassette. Side A "Song for Danny/ Coming in fine/ Bass for Carnival" c.1979

This cassette includes:
Side A:
"Kiss Me" Madonna sings and Dan plays guitar.
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed, Madonna on background vocal.
* "Moving Along" Written by Madonna and Dan. Madonna sings lead vocal
* "Moving Along" Another version. Madonna mess up and curses.
* "Hot House Flower" Written by Madonna, sung by Madonna. Followed by a performance of the same song with harmony practice.
* "While My Baby Walks The Streets" Madonna sings solo, and experiments with melodies.
"Tears In My Eye" Another version. Working track on lyrics, vocals, and bass lines. Then work on "I'm In Love With You" Madonna plays guitar and sings.
Side B:
"Coming In Fine" Written by Ed, Madonna on drums, Madonna harmonizes with Dan.
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Rehearsal demo, Madonna on drums.
* "Letter From Daddy" Written and recorded by Madonna. Madonna plays guitar
* "Hurry Hurry Hurry" Written and performed by Madonna
* "Song For Danny" Written and performed by Madonna for Dan.
* "Letter From Daddy" Madonna solo guitar performance.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Song For Danny" This song is about me, Daniel. The lyric is a bit of daily biography. Madonna and I used to run in Flushing Meadow Corona Park (right down the block), around the lake. We would sometimes go up on the roof. It was breezy up there with a good view of Manhattan. She comments about a habit I had of leaving change scattered around my room. Her amusing lyric tells about me being in the alley, which is right outside the door and the phone rings where we kept it on the floor, and me not answering because I know it's for her, which was usually the case. She spent lots of time on the phone, networking, looking for opportunities and gigs.

"Hurry Hurry Hurry" one of Madonna's earliest songs. Here, it's a solo performance on the Carlo robelli acoustic guitar. She's searching out the chords and doing vocal work. Nice, early Madonna Vocal

"Kiss Me" Live music was always happening in the synagogue. Dan and Madonna played music with each other day and night. "Kiss Me" just happened one day as Dan played guitar and Madonna sang. There's easy back and fourth between the vocal and the guitar. As usual, Dan hit the record button on TEAC 4 track reel to reel recorder.

"Moving Along" Madonna liked this little song, "Moving Along," so much that she wanted to sing it in performance. The club owned by former Yankee infielder Phil Linz (called “Mr Laff’s” on 64thSt and 1st Ave) was our first performance of the song. Her singing was heartfelt and touching…Since the song is only a minute long it made a fine intro, after a very short pause, for the power chord upbeat sound of “Trouble."

DG-10
Lot 123: NEVER BEFORE HEARD 1979 MADONNA DEMO ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Sony C90 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black ink on side A of cassette. Side A "The Sky Is Blue" c.1979

This cassette includes:
"The Sky Is Blue" Written and performed by Madonna. Guitar played on the Carlo robelli acoustic guitar.

Dan Gilroy remembers...

This cassette has a very early Madonna song that she wrote and sings alone, playing the Carlo Rbelli acoustic guitar. It's possible that no one else has ever heard this song. Her handwriting is on the cassette. This cassette has 2 performances of Madonna singing "The Sky Is Blue."

DG-11

Lot 125: FIRST RECORD OF MADONNA SINGING ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Memex 60 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black ink on side A of cassette. Side 1 "Tell The Truth" "Conway" c.1979. This Cassette holds Madonna's first ever recorded performance of the first song she ever wrote called "Tell The Truth".

This cassette includes:

Starts with Dan on drums, Ed Guitar, Madonna vocals jamming
"Bird Free" Madonna on drums, Dan and Madonna vocals
*"Trouble" Madonna acapella
*"Shine a Light" Madonna on the Carlo Robelli guitar and solo vocals
**"Tell The Truth"
*"Shine a Light" Another performance

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Bird Free" Playing music in the Synagogue was exactly that: Play. It was extra special to be able to pick up a guitar or a microphone or drumsticks at any time and have fun playing. Madonna put in a lot of work during the year and a half she lived with Dan and Ed in the Synagogue, but the common theme throughout was playing and having fun. This clip has Madonna working and playing the drums on a song written by Dan.

"Shine A Light" Our cat Grayboy is heard meowing at one point. Madonna once wrote a note to Dan describing her day and writing that she took a walk up the block with Grayboy. This performance is Madonna on the Carlo Robelli Guitar. Madonna wrote this and sings it solo.

"Tell The Truth" In her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech, Madonna said she wrote her first song, "Tell The Truth," in the Synagogue in Queens. This is the first recording of the first song Madonna ever wrote. In it, Madonna accompanies herself on Carlo Robelli acoustic guitar and sings solo. She performs it in front of Breakfest Club bassist Angie Smit. Curiously, at the end of Madonna's performance, which is a beautiful rendition, Angie says, "You know what your problem is?" Then the recorder turned off. Madonna's handwriting is on the cassette: Tell the Truth

DG-12
Lot 114: EARLY MADONNA DRUMMING ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances.MAxell C60 compact cassette. Handwritten notes in black marker ink on side A of cassette. Side A "Curtis" c.1979

This cassette includes:
(Lots of Madonna on drums)
Side A:
Starts with a couple of minutes of Dan working. Then...
"Curtis Come Back" Written and sung by Dan. Madonna plays drums and sings backing vocals. Ed and Dan both play the guitar. "Curtis Come Back" Another version.
"Coming In Fine" Another version. Written by Ed, Madonna on drums and sings backing vocals, Dan and Ed play guitar. "Hot House Flower" Written and performed by Madonna, Angie Smit plays bass, Ed plays guitar, Dan plays drums. "Argument" Dan and Ed
"Curtis Come Back"

Side B:
"Make It Today" Written and performed by Dan, Madonna plays drums, Dan and Ed plays guitar.
"Coming In fine" Written by Ed. Dan plays guitar, Madonna plays drums.
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan, Dan and Ed plays guitar, Angie plays bass, Madonna plays drum.
"I Wonder What Happened To Her" Written by Ed, Angie on bass, Ed and Dan plays guitar, Madonna plays drums. "Moving Along" Madonna sings lead, Ed plays guitar, Angie plays bass.
"Eggy Anne" Instrumental version. Madonna plays drums.
"Jam Session" Madonna plays drums, and sings lead vocals from "Curtis Come Back" then more "Eggy Anne" then Madonna asks, "Wait a minute, what's the order?" Ed asks, "What's the order?"

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Suppertime" Madonna on drums, then Madonna practicing drums to the song. After about 3 takes, Dan asks for another run through. Madonna says, "Alright, but then I'm not doing it again." Her drumming is aggressive and steady.

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by “Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought “she’s not going to like this” but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan.

DG-13
Lot 116: 1979 MADONNA & BREAKFAST CLUB JAM SESSION ON CASSETTE

Description
Madonna’s original rehearsal demos and performances. Sony Black C90 compact cassette. Handwritten notes and drawings in blue ink both sides of cassette. Side A "Curtis Come Home, 15, Dan, Angie, Madonna" note torn diagonally Side B "Drawings". c.1979

This cassette includes:
Side A:
"Curtis Come Back" Written by Dan, Madonna on drums and backing vocals.
"Jam Session"
"Curtis Come Back"
"Jamming" Madonna asks, "Do you want me to sing" Dan says, "Yeah!"
"Unknown Song" Madonna sings and plays guitar. Dan plays drums.
"Again and Again" Written by Madonna, Madonna plays keyboard. Cuts out at times.
"Trouble" Written by Dan, Madonna, and Ed. Dan on drums, Ed on guitar, Madonna sings vocals. Cuts off after 2 minutes.

Side B:
"Hot House Flower" Full version. Written and performed by Madonna.
"Trouble" Prolonged ending. Written by Dan, Madonna, and Ed. Dan on drums, Ed on guitar, Madonna sings vocals. broken into by another recording, then picks up again with Ed lead guitar. Madonna says, "Get it over with, Ed" "Dan's Song"
"Say hey, Joe" Madonna harmonizes beautifully with Dan

Dan Gilroy remembers...

"Curtis Come Back" Friend Curtis Zale had moved to England. He had so many ideas about fashion and movies and show biz. He recommended that Madonna use the name Mademoiselle Bijou, which she playfully did in some notes and letters. He returned to the States and appeared at a show by “Get Wet," a hot new local act; Madonna and I were in the standup audience. Curtis came up behind Madonna and ran his hands down her shoulders and waist and down her hips. I thought “she’s not going to like this” but she wheeled around and screamed approval and they hugged enthusiastically. Madonna played good drums on this song, written by Dan. She also added some vocal effects.
On the cassette, after this song, Madonna says, "Dan?". "Oooh no!", he says. Madonna says, "It came out again..." referring to the Hi Hat foot pedal that was jerry rigged to keep together with a wire similar to a coat hanger. It remains there on the Hi Hat pedal today.

"Jam" Playing music in the Synagogue was exactly that: Play. It was extra special to be able to pick up a guitar or a microphone or drumsticks at any time and have fun playing. Madonna put a lot of work during this year and a half she lived with Dan and Ed in the Synagouge, but the common theme throughout was playing and having fun. This instrumental jam has Madonna playing drums with Dan and Ed on guitars.

"Hot House Flower" One of the first of Madonna's songs that she wrote by herself and also got out from behind the drums and took center stage. This song highlights the isolation she felt, “if you leave me alone I will die” and shows the other side of what became “the material girl" with the line, “I live my life in this world, but I’m not part of this world." She expresses a need for attention, shyness with self reflection, being “at home in my mind”

the photo is from '81?

I asked the auction house if they will also provide a digital transfer of the reels, and here is what they answered... @bertrand @RUADJAI

The Consigner that owns this entire lot stated that there are some selections that were made to show what was on the tapes and reels, but that there is no digitized copy that is readily available for distribution.

1 hour ago, into the erotico said:

the photo is from '81?

(in photo APRIL 1980) 

Description
7 - 35mm Transparencies (color slides), c. 1979. 6 - 35mm slides of a young Madonna; 1 - 35mm slide of the Gilroy brothers. Taken in and around the Queens, NY former synagogue where the three were living. It was here that Madonna learned how to play guitar and drums, and where she recorded her first vocals. The three went on to form the Breakfast Club, their musical group.

Note: All 6 of the Madonna images were underexposed when they were taken. In other words, they are very dark. Although we have made no attempt to do so, modern technology may be able to reveal much more of the images. It is believed that these images have never been seen by the public previously.