!!POP EMERGENCY!! Madonna in the Studio With Stuart Price

Rainbow

12 minutes ago, Susan Thomas said:

Of course something happened, even just her not feeling ready. I think she gave the most evident proof of how much she feels responsible for the commitments she takes with her fans going on through such pain for months right on that tour. She wouldn't cancel but for meaningful reason, I trust her about this, I can't see how not to.

I dunno. She was dancing on the beach nye and walking up stairs to attend a party in Lisbon on the night of a cancelled show :laughing:

3 hours ago, musicinferno said:

I still can't get over the cheap production she had for the tour. I get that it was a theatre tour but it was giving high school play on a tight budget.

I find this comment really bizarre tbf. I've seen quite a few concerts at the Palladium, where she did the London shows, and hers was by far the most impressive in its staging. I didn't come away thinking it had a low budget whatsoever!

1 hour ago, Susan Thomas said:

Of course! I love theatre and the craftsmanship it's made of, I acted for about ten years myself (and pushed scenography elements when not on stage :lol:). It's just not something I would define "highly specialized production" when it comes to wheels :tongue: it was just a joke anyway.

It wasn't just wheels though was it? There was quite intricate staging that could be assembled in different ways, plus the mapped video projections, the screens plus all the dancers and musicians. I certainly can't think of a show like it before in theatres - the company that did the staging had previously mostly done megaconcerts (including the MDNA tour) but for theatres had done some musicals and Cirque du Soleil.

28 minutes ago, Debord said:

It wasn't just wheels though was it? There was quite intricate staging that could be assembled in different ways, plus the mapped video projections, the screens plus all the dancers and musicians. I certainly can't think of a show like it before in theatres - the company that did the staging had previously mostly done megaconcerts (including the MDNA tour) but for theatres had done some musicals and Cirque du Soleil.

I'm not an expert of scenogrphic techs and I didn't mean to criticize, it was mainly a joke in the beginning, answering to Pedro's reference, wich I found good. Said that, for what I got from the video, it was a structure made by wheeled moving elements. About the projections the main think is to place the elements precisey respecting the signs on the stage and rehearsing each time as different stages can require small changes. I didn't say it was cheap or anything like it, I think she chose a kind of simple and yet performative idea that time.

3 minutes ago, Susan Thomas said:

I'm not an expert of scenogrphic techs and I didn't mean to criticize, it was mainly a joke in the beginning. Said that, for what I got from the video, it was a structure made by wheeled moving elements. About the projections the main think is to place the elements precisey respecting the signs on the stage and rehearsing each time as different stages can require small changes. I didn't say it was cheap or anything like it, I think she chose a kind of simple and yet performative idea that time.

Ah did you not see it live? I don't think the film really conveys it well cos you just take it as another concert film, but in reality we were all in a pretty intimate space (made even more intimate by the no phones thing). The Frozen/Rescue Me section in particular was just utterly breathtaking, the video projection seemed to fill the whole theatre.

Yeah @Debord, she fucked me :lol: I went to Lisbon, booking everything months before with my partner. We separated in the meanwhile and he didn't want to miss it so we found both in the same room and travelling together for 5 DAYS waiting for the concert, the last night. One hour and a half before the curtain call ... she cancelled :smokey:

It's for things like this that I still love her actually :lol:

4 minutes ago, Susan Thomas said:

Yeah @Debord, she fucked me :lol: I went to Lisbon for wich thing I booked everything months before with my partner. We separated in the meanwhile and he didn't want to miss it so we found both in the same room and travelling together for 5 DAYS waiting for the concert, the last night. One hour and a half before the curtain call ... she cancelled :smokey:

It's for things like this that I still love her actually.

Ah yes, I know the feeling well cos the cancellations were happening by the time i saw her, I had no idea if it would actually happen until about 10 mins before!

6 hours ago, Debord said:

I thought the MX look was cool but they should have committed to it and had the videos all be different personas etc. Instead it just looked to casuals that she'd lost her mind.

Yeah, the different Madonna vanishing is like the ghost from the xmas past, present and future are paying a visit.

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

I think the collective response after everybody watched this was... :scoff:

It didn't give international spy, it was giving trying on wigs from TEMU YouTube reaction. 

Alright lemme stop before I go down a rabbit hole of despair. 

All of this just to see her dressing as a granny with a fucked up short bang-ed bob 😭 like why making up all this world building only to actually show nothing but bad wigs and eyepatches, where are the videos with different identities and stories???

5 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

That’s how theatre is done .  They can’t just build their own stage every venue like in an arena.

Touring Broadway quite often builds a new stage on top of a local theatre stage to accomodate their rigging and mechanics. How do you think shows with big production elements like Wicked, Lion King, or even smaller scale shows like Hamilton are able to recreate the same show that's in NYC in small towns like Cincinnati or Nashville?

22 minutes ago, DJ N A said:

Touring Broadway quite often builds a new stage on top of a local theatre stage to accomodate their rigging and mechanics. How do you think shows with big production elements like Wicked, Lion King, or even smaller scale shows like Hamilton are able to recreate the same show that's in NYC in small towns like Cincinnati or Nashville?

The answer is that they do it by making any necessary changes to the show (particularly any big setpiece moments that require complex staging) and adapting sets so they're easily assembled. Shows like Wicked *do* have changes for their touring versions but they're nothing you'd notice unless you were really looking out for them. Shows like Hadestown and Mary Poppins which have elaborate staging most definitely were changed for their touring versions. I mean, if a local theatre doesn't have e.g. a trapdoor, they don't build a whole other stage on top to create a trapdoor, they just alter the entrance/exit so it's not needed.