Madonna and Michael Jackson Collab

Future Lover

Back in summer of 1991, Michael Jackson was preparing his eighth studio album Dangerous and was working with many esteemed artists, producers, and writers. Michael Jackson put in work requests to many artists, but few responded as at the time, working with Michael was considered to be something of a challenge to artistically match the intensity and charisma of Michael. One of the artists he sent a request to that was responded was Madonna. The two of them had attended the 1991 Academy Awards together and appeared to have a friendly public friendship. Michael asked Madonna to collaborate on the song "In the Closet" (to which Princess Stefanie and Monaco lended her voice on the final album) to which she was happy to oblige. According to Bill Bottrell, the producer of the album, Madonna brought lyrics to Michael on three separate occasions and on the last visit, presented him with a music video concept of her dressing as a man and Michael dressing as a woman, to which Michael kindly declined the lyrics and the video concept. It was decided by both artists unanimously that the collaboration just wasn't right at the time. According to Teddy Riley, Michael apologized to Madonna for the partnership not going through to which he said Madonna acted like a true professional and told him there wasn't a need for apology and that she admired his control of the album and his professional attitude. Michael also apparently promised Madonna to attend one of the shows on her next tour (which turned out to be the Girlie Show), however he sadly wasn't able to due to personal health issues and his 1993 child sexual abuse allegations. I shared this story because, despite Michael saying he didn't like Madonna's behavior in '91, these two artists really appreciated and respected each other. This is mirrored in Madonna's speech dedicated to Michael at the 2009 VMA's where she said she regretted "abandoning him" and "not giving him a friend". The speech was beautiful and I'll include it here. But, I think this story is special. It would have been amazing to hear THE King of Pop and THE Queen of Pop collab on one of MJ's best songs. Thoughts? 

Wow. I didn't know the collab ended in such a polite, respectful way. You'd never know that based on what Michael said in the Rabbi Shmuley tapes in 2001. Any sources on what Teddy Riley said? Exact quotes or where you got that info? I'd like to know more.

As for the song itself, I would have LOVED for Madonna to do the spoken word parts on In The Closet. It would've been perfect for her at that time, because she was doing a similar sing-speak style in Justify My Love, Rescue Me, and most of the Erotica album.

Wow. I didn't know the collab ended in such a polite, respectful way. You'd never know that based on what Michael said in the Rabbi Shmuley tapes in 2001. Any sources on what Teddy Riley said? Exact quotes or where you got that info? I'd like to know more.

As for the song itself, I would have LOVED for Madonna to do the spoken word parts on In The Closet. It would've been perfect for her at that time, because she was doing a similar sing-speak style in Justify My Love, Rescue Me, and most of the Erotica album.

I sadly don't have links and got this information from a couple of places: A Janet Jackson bio book and a special Dangerous album special from the 90's I saw on Vimeo 

A MJ/Madonna duet would be something explosive that's for sure. In some ways good and in some ways bad. I would personally enjoy it and it could still happen if Madonna was able to get her hands on an unfinished MJ demo from The Estate,added her vocals,and finished the track.

Archived