Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

I would say "legendary" and not "almost legendary" too. Yeah baby!

It's all in how an individual perceives the meaning of "Legend(ary)".  Some think of people being a "legend" after they die. Though, one can be legendary long before that. Madonna's accomplished a lot and her place in pop culture is definitely "legendary".

Some random thought

Madonna is a visual artist. Hence her instagram. Along with new streaming counts, this could be her secret weapon. YouTube, vevo and online streams now drive points for charting on Billboard. With the new streaming rules, she will surely utilize channels beyond radio – YouTube, Spotify etc. - to the maximum potential to drive buzz and success for her new music if she can’t impact on radio. The arc of music has changed, and I think Madonna and her team are aware, but not sure how to market her. There is no question that Madonna, until the end of her days, can make crazy good, catchy music. I think the challenge at hand is how to market her.

They could start by making cool video teasers, good lyric videos, etc. I was very surprised that didn't happen with MDNA!!!

GGW got a lyric video. It might not be as elaborate as you wish it to be, but again, I rather her take that money and put it forth a great music video and whatever other promotion, rather some silly lyric video. I know everyone's doing it, but Madonna doesn't necessarily do what everyone else is doing. Not only that, lyrics videos to me are only effective if the album hasn't been released yet. I'm sure it's a great tool to create buzz for any upcoming album. It just seems silly to me for an artist to waste money on a lyric video that anyone of us can make to some degree, when that money could be put forth a fantastic official video and a tour.

That all said, it makes total sense to me why Madonna embraced Instagram. Her whole career, she's been good at teasing the public and giving snapshot of her career and life, yet still leave some mystique behind her. It's the same with Instagram. She can give us a snap shot and/or a 15 second video of her day, and still be quite elusive about what she's really doing. It works for her since she's always been a visionary. Fans, the public and media then can take that moment and make i larger than life.  The proof is in the pudding. On instagram, she seems to have given us a number of teasers for her new album, but we've yet to know really much about it. By this time, on previous albums, once the internet age kicked off, we knew far more than we know now for this album. The difference is that we're hearing it straight from the horses mouth. She's regained control of the mystique behind her projects again, much like back in the 80's and even early 90's. Back then, we knew nothing like the info we get now before albums are released. We might get a MTV news report that she might be working on something, but none of these tidbits we get now. We didn't have an outlet for people to leak info from what's going on in the studio, etc. Once the internet age started, that all changed. All those insiders or people who had friends with the insiders were able to leak vital info that Madonna originally was easily to keep under wraps, unless she wanted to share it herself. It seems with this album, she's recaptured that magic, but at the same time, giving the fans what they want in this internet age, with little tidbits here and there.  I'm glad to know that Instagram can play a part in scoring her more points on the charts.

GGW got a lyric video. It might not be as elaborate as you wish it to be, but again, I rather her take that money and put it forth a great music video and whatever other promotion, rather some silly lyric video. I know everyone's doing it, but Madonna doesn't necessarily do what everyone else is doing. Not only that, lyrics videos to me are only effective if the album hasn't been released yet. I'm sure it's a great tool to create buzz for any upcoming album. It just seems silly to me for an artist to waste money on a lyric video that anyone of us can make to some degree, when that money could be put forth a fantastic official video and a tour.

They matter because they create social presence for the songs and in turn expectation for the official music videos if people like them. I really doubt those videos are expensive to make let alone take budget from a music video, it just requires minimal creative effort. They keep people interested in the "era" which is important for the success of an album and singles, and they can win awards too which is never a bad thing.

Now that it's mostly digital I think the lyric videos are taking the place of the single artworks a bit.

They matter because they create social presence for the songs and in turn expectation for the official music videos if people like them. I really doubt those videos are expensive to make let alone take budget from a music video, it just requires minimal creative effort. They keep people interested in the "era" which is important for the success of an album and singles, and they can win awards too which is never a bad thing.

Now that it's mostly digital I think the lyric videos are taking the place of the single artworks a bit.

Not to mention Billboard now takes them in consideration for the charts!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADONNA: EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT THE NEW ALBUM
What to expect from Madge's next LP

According to a lot of the world's media, Madonna has been too old to be making music for about twenty years now. Well, today (16 August) she turned 56, and guess what? She's got a new album coming.

In a recent interview, the singer said: "We live in an ageist society. Once you reach a certain age, you're not supposed to do certain things. I don't really know where that came from." Determined not to follow society's ageist rules, Madonna is currently working on her thirteenth studio album.

Here's everything we know about it so far. Happy birthday Madge.

She's not going to tone it down: Just because she's just turned 56 doesn't mean anything's going to change. Speaking to The Globe and Mail in a brief interview she said: "I think not only do we have to live in a homophobic society, but we live in an ageist society, too. Once you reach a certain age, you're not supposed to do certain things. I don't really know where that came from."

Bragging: Madonna isn't exactly going to be timid is she? But with Major Lazer star Diplo reporting the song title 'Bitch I'm Madonna' as a track title it's evident that the star is going to be bigging herself up as the queen of pop. We'll let you decide.

Ballads: Whilst you can expect a lot of dance and high-energy pop on the album, it's not out of the question that some ballads could crop up. Earlier in the year the always trustworthy MailOnline reported that Madge enlisted the help of Adele to write a ballad.

Dance Music: Seeing as Diplo, Avicii and Disclosure are all on the list for rumoured collaborations, a lot of dance music can be expected on the 'Vogue' star's thirteenth LP.

Avicii: Madonna ecstatically tweeted about working with the multi-platinum selling Avicii saying: "The end of a long week with Viking Leader AKA DJ Virgo AKA Avicii! So many great songs! #icantwait #revolution" so it's pretty much a definite that some Avicii tracks will be on the record.

Disclosure: Madonna reportedly met the pair at their show at the Governor's Ball and posted a snap of herself with the Lawrence brothers on Instagram. Naturally people started talking and rumours began. We hope there's some truth behind them.

‘Messiah’: She seems awfully proud of this track. Madonna posted both the sheet music to the track, a snippet of an orchestra performing the song AND a handful of lyrics. Containing the lines, "I am the moon with no light of my own, you are the sun guarding your throne," 'Messiah' is something that will probably appear on her forthcoming album. It will of course, come as no surprise to Madonna fans that she will be speaking about religion as the star has always been outspoken on her views of the Church. Another rumoured track title with religious connotations is 'Holy Water' so there could be more comment on religion than before.

Opinions: Never one to hold back on her opinions, Madonna's latest release is more likely than not going to feature controversial and outspoken opinions. Just have a look at her 'secretprojectrevolution' film released at the end of last year as well as her Art for Freedom initiative, to look at her passion for encouraging people to create art a way to express opinions and views.

Miley: Both like pushing the public's buttons and reinventing themselves, so it only seems natural that these two would collaborate. Rumours spread quickly that the pair were working together after Madonna Instagrammed a photo of a lyric sheet and tagged the 'Wrecking Ball' star in it.

Diplo: The hitmaking DJ has openly spoke about working with Madonna saying: "Madonna asked for the craziest record I had. She's just really cool. I think as far as artists reinventing themselves, she did it before anybody else. She kind of began that trend of actually coming back with a whole new look and style and sound and winning it and hitting the top of the charts. Those records are gonna be crazy-sounding. We really pushed the envelope with some of the stuff we were doing." No surprises there then.

Surprise Release: A source close to Apple said at SXSW: "iTunes and Beyonce are very happy with the results of that exclusive. So you're going to see something similar coming up, [unnamed artist] really likes the idea. The artist will be working social networks 'very aggressively' with special giveaways and bonuses to most dedicated fans." We don't expect a surprise release from Madonna to be done in quite the same style as it was for Bey, but rumours of a special release are rife and a release like this would be very in keeping with Madonna's character.

No matter how you try to look at it, it's added cost for promotion. I don't necessarily object to it, but I'm good with just an elaborate official video rather some silly lyric video. As mentioned, anyone can make them, and most artists (including Madonna) have many fans who end up making lyric videos for these songs anyway. Therefore, that "social presence" as well as "expectation the official music video" will be there. If an official video is available then that should equally keep people interested.

I bring it up is because a lot of artists are pouring more money in some elaborate LYRIC videos. A number of artists even star in these videos themselves or have actors play out scenarios or a general story line in them. Again, that isn't cheap. My thought, if your going to spend that much money on a lyric video, why not just make the official video instead.

As for artwork, I still see single artwork for artists, so I don't see lyric videos replacing that cost.

No matter how you try to look at it, it's added cost for promotion. I don't necessarily object to it, but I'm good with just an elaborate official video rather some silly lyric video. As mentioned, anyone can make them, and most artists (including Madonna) have many fans who end up making lyric videos for these songs anyway. Therefore, that "social presence" as well as "expectation the official music video" will be there. If an official video is available then that should equally keep people interested.

I bring it up is because a lot of artists are pouring more money in some elaborate LYRIC videos. A number of artists even star in these videos themselves or have actors play out scenarios or a general story line in them. Again, that isn't cheap. My thought, if your going to spend that much money on a lyric video, why not just make the official video instead.

As for artwork, I still see single artwork for artists, so I don't see lyric videos replacing that cost.

why not both? granted, Madonna is not on top commercially, but they should try to give it a shot if the music has the potential.

You can't give people everything at once and expect them to keep interest, so giving them these little things is very important to keep them engaged through an era. Lyric videos are the best way to share a song and start the cycle of a single. That's how it works now. :)

why not both? granted, Madonna is not on top commercially, but they should try to give it a shot if the music has the potential.

You can't give people everything at once and expect them to keep interest, so giving them these little things is very important to keep them engaged through an era. Lyric videos are the best way to share a song and start the cycle of a single. That's how it works now. :)

You're right, why not both. I don't disagree. But the concern I have is that lyric videos will start replacing the regular videos artists do. If a record company can save money with an artist, they will, especially if they aren't commercially successful or as successful as they used to be. To us regular folks, it doesn't take much for us to make a lyric video, but these artists actually hire people to do these videos. As mentioned, these lyrics videos are getting more elaborate, that contain all sorts of effects if not animation. Again, that cost money, not to mention the money they need to pay those who edit the videos, etc. Not only that, I have seen a well known country star (forget who it is at the moment) who pretty much used his lyric video to be the official video. He starred in the video as well. I've seen other artists do the same. Right now, it's a fairly new concept to do a lyric video. Most artists are doing them now. I would just hate to see someone like Madonna who I know pinches pennies, throwing away promotional money towards a lyric video when it can be spent towards the official video or the tour or other cool promotional ideas. In the end, I rather see her performing live than her spending loads of money on promotion. 

I don't think lyric videos cost more than a couple grand for most of them.  Look at the GGW lyric vid.  Madonna could just look for change in a couple of her couches to cover the cost of that.  She could even have the kids look for her while she's getting her hur did.

Rumor:

- Madonna finished the album last month [July]

- Press release in September

- Album artwork most likely to be shot in the next 2 weeks.

- MV to be shot in mid September

- First single to be released in late September/early October [approx. 6-8 weeks before the album release]

- Album to be released earliest in November and latest in early December

- Tour rehearsal begins in the new year [2015] after Christmas & holiday break 

Rumor:

- Madonna finished the album last month [July]

- Press release in September

- Album artwork most likely to be shot in the next 2 weeks.

- MV to be shot in mid September

- First single to be released in late September/early October [approx. 6-8 weeks before the album release]

- Album to be released earliest in November and latest in early December

- Tour rehearsal begins in the new year [2015] after Christmas & holiday break 

So that means no promotion for the album lol

I don't think lyric videos cost more than a couple grand for most of them.  Look at the GGW lyric vid.  Madonna could just look for change in a couple of her couches to cover the cost of that.  She could even have the kids look for her while she's getting her hur did.

:laughing:  :cryin: