Poll: Favorite song: Spotlight or Rescue Me?

geert

Poll: Favorite song: Spotlight or Rescue Me?  

45 members voted

1. 1. Poll: Favorite song: Spotlight or Rescue Me?

• 4 years later...

Rescue me. Definitely. One of her best lyrics, a poem in its own right. What I don't understand is what makes you compare both songs, since they're so different sonically and one was a single and the other wasn't. The thing with Rescue me is that it has many bridges, I don't know if other people have noticed that. And somehow there's too much stuff in it: thunders, heartbeats, etc. But I love her raw vocals and it's a clear tribute to Aretha Franklin: "R E S C U E me" = "R E S P E C T". Spotlight should have been more up-tempo and the intro is too long IMO, but is good anyway. LOve those funky guitars and bells, which were Madonna's trademark sound for a long time.

Of course in the UK Spotlight was the B side for Rescue Me and that's the only time Spotlight was featured on any Madonna single anywhere outside of the promo and Japanese release. I always wish there was a proper non promo 12" release of Spotlight and its edits and versions and is would be a prized item in my 80's collection back then. 

On 6/3/2024 at 7:22 AM, steady75 said:

has-it-ever-been-discussed-exactly-how-m

This will always be the superior cover from Rescue Me. Us UK fans ate so good in the 80's and 90's

Why wasnt this the standard version? Had the shoot not taken place yet?